Help Wanted: Data Moderation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
View previous topic :: View next topic
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 06/02/2023 20:32
  • Post subject:
This is a tricky question because in 3-4 years, these limited-edition 24 Songs box sets are going to be almost impossible to find, and the download version (with the same tracklist as the newer 2-disc compilation) will be common, and the only configuration in which most people can buy the album — and since the track listings will be completely different, it will look as though BEA's version is "wrong" unless there's a note displayed somewhat prominently explaining the whole situation.

I guess that's what I'd suggest, then — sort of like a regular comment, only displayed more prominently than other comments somehow, like maybe right under the info box near the top of the page.

The thing is, lots of bands have released 7" singles, usually (but not necessarily) reissues, as "original packaging" box sets that were then "converted" into 1CD or 2CD compilation albums (The Clash Singles Box, for example, or the Weddoes' own "Hit Parade" albums). And there have been several bands lately that have set up a "single every month" subscription series where the singles in question were later compiled into an album — Twin Peaks' Sweet '17 Singles and The Sugarplastic's 7x7x7, for example — but this is the first time I can think of where a band did an original subscription series, then an officially-released box set of all those singles packaged as such, and then finally the compilation album.

So if there were ever to be an exception made to BEA's "first version" rule, this would probably be it, but I can't imagine anybody getting super-worked-up over it.
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 06/02/2023 20:47
  • Post subject:
MadhattanJack wrote:
This is a tricky question because in 3-4 years, these limited-edition 24 Songs box sets are going to be almost impossible to find, and the download version (with the same tracklist as the newer 2-disc compilation) will be common, and the only configuration in which most people can buy the album — and since the track listings will be completely different, it will look as though BEA's version is "wrong" unless there's a note displayed somewhat prominently explaining the whole situation.

I guess that's what I'd suggest, then — sort of like a regular comment, only displayed more prominently than other comments somehow, like maybe right under the info box near the top of the page.

The thing is, lots of bands have released 7" singles, usually (but not necessarily) reissues, as "original packaging" box sets that were then "converted" into 1CD or 2CD compilation albums (The Clash Singles Box, for example, or the Weddoes' own "Hit Parade" albums). And there have been several bands lately that have set up a "single every month" subscription series where the singles in question were later compiled into an album — Twin Peaks' Sweet '17 Singles and The Sugarplastic's 7x7x7, for example — but this is the first time I can think of where a band did an original subscription series, then an officially-released box set of all those singles packaged as such, and then finally the compilation album.

So if there were ever to be an exception made to BEA's "first version" rule, this would probably be it, but I can't imagine anybody getting super-worked-up over it.

It happens more frequently than you might think where an original release is made in fewer quantities. For example: 60k pieces of Metal Box by Public Image Ltd. were issued in 1979, then discontinued. It was re-issued the following year as Second Edition, as it has been ever since. But the original Metal Box stands on BEA. I don't think those 60k pieces are easy to locate these days, and if you do find one, I'm pretty sure you'll pay out the ass for it. And I have never heard one person want to know why Second Edition isn't listed on BEA. And this is with a different album title altogether.

Also, people on BEA, I think, tend to do more of their own research than on other sites, which is why things like this tend to not become a big deal. We've got a pretty smart bunch here.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website