How many listens is enough?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 12/08/2011 06:24
  • Post subject:
Great Music almost never "arrives." I would say that you would have to give an album at least a year, but then maybe even 5 years to see what it really means. I think there are plenty of albums/groups that we go through a phase with, and love it for a couple years and then 5-10 years later we either think, man what was I thinking, or man have I changed, or man this is still amazing. I think the latter are truly the greats.
  • Visit poster's website
pearljammer13
Young Pilgrim

United States

• Posted: 12/08/2011 12:21
  • Post subject:
kamiL55 wrote:
In my opinion, you should listen the whole album from the 1st track to the last at least 3 times. It's desirable to listen to them without excess noise and you are not be distracted by visiting pages, reading other Internet resources, and generally you do not need to open your browser. The most we can do is, for example, a couple of solitaire-games and cigarette or ease cleaning of the house. As for me, the music is better in good headphones. I love my Apple headphones (this is not advertising!) And always listen to it with them. Of course, good quality speakers with a subwoofer is also a good option.

Yeah I agree with avoiding distractions. The first time I listen to a new album I always do it from my cd player, not even on a computer. I've had a specific chair ever since I was a kid where I listen to music. My parents even let me take it to my house when I moved out. Sounds a little weird but that chair is extremely special to me, as its where I discovered all my favorite music. Anyways though I definitely agree that you should never listen to an album for the first time while your multi-tasking.
  • Visit poster's website
Xavygravy

• Posted: 12/08/2011 21:25
  • Post subject:
It used to be just one for me, but now I'm listening to albums around 3+ times before making a decision (unless I really don't like it after the first time).
  • Visit poster's website
M Hurley

United States

• Posted: 12/08/2011 22:09
  • Post subject:
I'll give an album ample time to grow on me. I find if you're hasty about it you're only cheating yourself. Over 10 to give a number.
  • Visit poster's website
WillWill1989

Australia

• Posted: 12/12/2011 01:33
  • Post subject:
i can listen to my favorite albums forever i will never get sick of them
  • Visit poster's website
YoursBadDay

• Posted: 12/12/2011 15:11
  • Post subject:
A week to like it. (or 2 seconds,depends what album you listen to)
A year to know it.
Maybe 5 years to explore it fully if it's really good,some need decades.
  • Visit poster's website
paladisiac
= music

United States

• Posted: 12/12/2011 15:57
  • Post subject:
For reviewing an album, i first listen to see if i even like it. If it passes, then a second listen to make sure. Then a third to really "ingest" the album. ...
  • Visit poster's website
monosyllables

United States

• Posted: 12/12/2011 16:23
  • Post subject:
It's funny, because In the Aeroplane over the Sea is my favorite album of all time, the more I listen to it, the more I find to love, but when I first heard it, I was totally underwhelmed. In fact, if it hadn't been for my friends who always wanted to play/sing the songs with me, it might never have had the opportunity to grow on me.
I think I am a person who needs a LOT of listens to be sure about an album, because honestly most of my favorite albums are the ones I've listened to the most. I find if I just glut myself on an album for an extended period of time, to the point where I know pretty much every part of every song, and if I haven't come to hate it by then, then it's probably an abiding favorite of mine. Examples include Aeroplane, Alien Lanes, Pinkerton, etc.
Sometimes, though, you can tell before getting to that point that you've got an album that will sustain endless listens, even if you haven't got the time for it right away. One of these days I'm just gonna listen myself into oblivion with all the albums I like, but for now I keep discovering too much new stuff to slow down!
  • Visit poster's website
matthewirwin28693

United Kingdom

• Posted: 12/12/2011 17:13
  • Post subject:
i like getting into an album in one sitting listening to it maybe 3 or 4 times in a day. then giving it a few days to kick in, listening to it a few time in the next week. but i also like to see what the songs sound like outside the context of the album by just listening to them one at a time in different playlist. so i think you would need at lease 15 listens but to know it and understand it fully it may take a year or 2
  • Visit poster's website