Band nationality

View previous topic :: View next topic
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 01/07/2012 22:58
  • Post subject: Band nationality
So I just noticed that Yuck are tagged as a "mixed nationality" band here. I see that there are two members that are from "elsewhere" (Mariko Doi in Japan and the drummer in US), but the band's origins are still in London, UK... So shouldn't they still be considered as a UK band?
On a related note, an album that I added in my 80s chart is by Various Artists and is as such again considered as a "mixed nationality" album. But it's basically a compilation album by three Serbian bands, so it's very much a Serbian album. Should we maybe have another option for determining the album's "country of origin" when it's by various artists?
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 01/07/2012 23:26
  • Post subject:
Personally I don't support the idea that the nationality of a band is determined by its members' nationalities. I prefer to look at where the band/group was started or where it resides.

What about all the orchestras? Many have international makeups but would you call the New York Philharmonic, Cleveland Orchestra, The Boston Symphony, or Chicago Symphony mixed nationality because they have some members not from the USA? London Symphony Orchestra, with some members not from the UK, a mixed nationality? I think not.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 01/08/2012 03:54
  • Post subject:
^ what he said

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 01/08/2012 04:50
  • Post subject:
I think the birthplace of the band is more important than its members. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds are constantly made up of foreign members but the band itself formed in Melbourne in the early 80s.
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 01/08/2012 08:53
  • Post subject:
Well I changed Yuck to a UK band now
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 01/08/2012 09:50
  • Post subject:
sorry, I've not been on here much the last few days, (a bit distracted with Three Kings Day in Spain and the aftermath - a thumping headache!)

Back to the topic, I'm not against changing this since there seems to be consensus.

Just as a reminder, the 'help text' for the nationality field on the admin screen currently says:
"The nationality of the band. A band is deemed to be 'mixed nationality' if the main performer(s) come from multiple countries (or in the case of solo artists, if the individual is not clearly associated with any one particular country)."

I think the problem has come because there is no distinction in the above definition between two collaborating individual artists from different countries, and an orchestra/band (which should probably be considered a single unit based on where the band originated).

If anyone can volunteer an amendment to take this into account, I'll change the above (I'm still not thinking straight after all the alcohol!).

If I remember correctly, one of the reasons for the above definition was the Jimi Hendrix Experience (and there's probably a thread somewhere that explains this). Is this a US band or a UK band? Jimi is the lead musician from the US, but the band was formed in the UK. Jimi himself is from US, but if his band were attributed to the UK he would get less recognition in the US rankings. There are probably other examples like this as well.

EDIT: Here's the post where the current definition arose: http://besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/viewto...4512#24512
  • Visit poster's website