BLUE ORCHID - White Stripes
50%
 50%  [6]
Total Votes : 12

GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 07/18/2011 13:50
  • Post subject:
Would they have to be actual "music videos" or can they be videos with music from the studio versions of songs from albums?

Like this one

Link

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 07/18/2011 15:15
  • Post subject:
GARY wrote:
Is that I just don't understand how threads like

Man Or machine
Favorite Note
Favorite Chord
BEA Badminton Tournament

To name just a few, got huge responses but a thread/poll about Music Videos is virtually ignored.

What these four all have in common is that they can be replied to in an instant. To make a meaningful comment or to vote on your music video threads takes a large amount on time. I would guess that is the reason.
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 07/18/2011 15:32
  • Post subject:
Bork wrote:
GARY wrote:
Is that I just don't understand how threads like

Man Or machine
Favorite Note
Favorite Chord
BEA Badminton Tournament

To name just a few, got huge responses but a thread/poll about Music Videos is virtually ignored.

What these four all have in common is that they can be replied to in an instant. To make a meaningful comment or to vote on your music video threads takes a large amount on time. I would guess that is the reason.

I understand what you are saying but I've asked some simple questions pertaining to what kind of music videos should be allowed and have received a total of ... let's see now....

ZERO

Answers Shocked

Here are some of my questions

So what would be acceptable or eligible in a music video tournament ?

Only official studio versions of music videos.

What about non-official versions or even user made ones?

For example, this is the actual studio version of an Alan Parsons song but the video is not the "official" video but is user submitted on YouTube and IMO is a very good video that compliments the song which is an instrumental.

I ROBOT

Link

What about live or in concert videos ?

Should live videos with the band in concert be included?

What about videos like this one that is both live and studio?

Link

Would they have to be actual "music videos" or can they be videos with music from the studio versions of songs from albums?

Like this one

Link

• Visit poster's website
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 07/18/2011 17:04
  • Post subject:
If we are having a best music video contest it needs to be about the video in it's entirety and not just the song (as that would be a best song contest). With that in the mind and if the pre-game decision process is done the same way as before (that is, people nominate two videos each) I don't see any need to make up rules about which videos can and can't be included. Personally I would think a video that is nothing but an artist in concert stands a much smaller chance of walking home with the victory though as it is the simplest way to make a video. It may still be good but when voting for a video there isn't much special about it. There could very well be exceptions that I'm not aware of, of course.
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 07/18/2011 17:19
  • Post subject:
Bork wrote:
If we are having a best music video contest it needs to be about the video in it's entirety and not just the song (as that would be a best song contest). With that in the mind and if the pre-game decision process is done the same way as before (that is, people nominate two videos each) I don't see any need to make up rules about which videos can and can't be included. Personally I would think a video that is nothing but an artist in concert stands a much smaller chance of walking home with the victory though as it is the simplest way to make a video. It may still be good but when voting for a video there isn't much special about it. There could very well be exceptions that I'm not aware of, of course.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions Bork.

As far as it "not being about the song" I find it interesting that Blue Orchid has 4 votes and the Elton John and Garbage video's have a combined 0 votes.

Do you not think that the song, which was done by The White Stripes has anything to do with it?

For example, if I would have posted a magnificent ward winning video that was amazing, but it was a country song from the 70's, do you think that it would get more votes than a so so video but had a Radiohead song in it Think

• Visit poster's website
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 07/18/2011 17:34
  • Post subject:
GARY wrote:
Thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions Bork.

As far as it "not being about the song" I find it interesting that Blue Orchid has 4 votes and the Elton John and Garbage video's have a combined 0 votes.

Do you not think that the song, which was done by The White Stripes has anything to do with it?

For example, if I would have posted a magnificent ward winning video that was amazing, but it was a country song from the 70's, do you think that it would get more votes than a so so video but had a Radiohead song in it :-k

I hope that would not happen but I guess we'll find out if the contest is made. I am not saying that the song should have nothing to do with it. A 5-star song with a 4-star video may in total be just as good as a 4-star song with a 5-star video (although personally I would consider it spitting at the contest if voting for a 5-star song with a 1-star video over a 1-star song with a 5-star video). Both the audio and the video are part of the total experience and people will most likely have different ways of approaching the task of choosing.
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 07/18/2011 18:29
  • Post subject:
Well, IMO there were a lot of great music videos made in the 80's. But I just don't see a video from the 80's, no matter how great it is, beating a video that was made in say, 2008.

And if we have learned anything about tournaments on BEA it's that a metal video has NO chance of winning nor does a classic rock video.

Not complaining just tellin it like it is.

So, keeping that in mind and also factoring in that, if this tournament even happens, we may want to do more than just one Music video tourney.

What I might suggest and run up the flag poll and see if it flies is this.

Now, I hate rules, always have. Freedom + rules = loss of freedom.

Maybe there should be "parameters" in the game?

For example,

A best music video of a certain decade. 70's, 80's, 90's 2000's.

Also, to maybe put more emphasis on the actual video and not just the popularity of the band/artist who made the song, we could only include videos by bands/artists that are not in the top 20 ranked bands on BEA. Or top 50 or even the top 100.

• Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 07/18/2011 21:21
  • Post subject:
O.K. just fuck this bullshit I don't even give a damn anymore.

After 2 days and over 1,000 views between the 2 test runs only 7 people voted and only 1 person even bothered to comment on how the game should go.

And after this slap in the head I'm about done with all of this shit to be honest.

I'M DONE

• Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 07/18/2011 21:31
  • Post subject:
only official videos, no subdivisions. also, most of those views are non-registered users who couldn't respond to anything anyways
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 01/31/2012 19:14
  • Post subject:

BLUE ORCHID - White Stripes with the win Very Happy

• Visit poster's website