77%  [21]
Total Votes : 27

Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 06/09/2011 16:56
  • Post subject:
I thought of an example:

Parliament/Funkadelic. The name change came about because of legal reasons, and later on albums were released under both names.

Same band or not same band?
  • Visit poster's website
Polythene Pam

• Posted: 06/09/2011 17:27
  • Post subject:
Bork wrote:
I thought of an example:

Parliament/Funkadelic. The name change came about because of legal reasons, and later on albums were released under both names.

Unfortunately I couldn't say as I haven't listened to them
40footwolf

United States

• Posted: 06/09/2011 18:22
  • Post subject:
Bork wrote:
I thought of an example:

My default response to this is that if George Clinton says it's Parliament/Funkadelic, then it's Parliament/Funkadelic, which means that Connections and Disconnections is NOT a true Funkadelic album, both because it's bad and because it sonically has nothing to do with Funkadelic.

-John Cassavettes
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 06/09/2011 18:23
  • Post subject:
Bork wrote:
I thought of an example:

I'd say same band. The other huge P-Funk fan here, 40Footwolf, would probably say the same thing.
  • Visit poster's website
40footwolf

United States

• Posted: 06/09/2011 19:07
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
Bork wrote:
I thought of an example:

I'd say same band. The other huge P-Funk fan here, 40Footwolf, would probably say the same thing.

I was hella confused about his question, I just realized! It may surprise you to hear that I don't think they're really the same band-I think the tone of each is different enough to merit them being listed separately. Of course Funkadelic started to sound more like Parliament as they went on, so you could make a case for them being the same band by around 1978 or so, by the time One Nation Under a Groove came out.

-John Cassavettes
  • Visit poster's website
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 06/11/2011 01:21
  • Post subject:
The way this was worded, I had to go with the last one. I used to ascribe to the romantic notion of a band, where the members must stick together for it to be the same band, but over the years, I've discovered and enjoyed a number of "bands" who don't fall into the classic definition of band. What about a situation like R.E.M. where one of the original members left, so the other three carried on without him? The weird thing about R.E.M. too is that Scott McCaughey and Bill Rieflin have played consistently with Peter, Mike and Michael for like 10 years, but they are not considered members of the band because R.E.M. is trying to be traditional in that sense, and maybe honor Billy Berry as a member(?) Similarly, were the John Lennon songs that the Threatles released for the Beatles anthology project, Beatles songs? They were released with the Beatles name. And what about oldies groups with and /or motown groups like the Temptations? To play live, the members have changed constantly.

What about artists with backing bands that are fairly consistent? The Attractions and the E Street band come to mind. What about a "band" like Guided by Voices? With them there was one artistic mastermind, Bob Pollard, but the actual band members changed many times over the years. The name always stayed the same though. What about Arthur Lee touring with Baby Lemonade and calling it "Love?" After all, he was arguably the artistic mastermind behind the group. Also, a couple of the members of the group are dead. Similarly, what about the band that toured as Big Star for a few years? It had two original members and two acolytes. I'd be inclined to say the name matters the most, but that's mainly an identity thing. But what about those moments where bands are forced to change their name due to potential copyright infringements? There's too many gray areas to answer this question definitively.
  • Visit poster's website
Charicature

United States

• Posted: 06/21/2011 16:57
  • Post subject:
I'd say it's when 50% of the creative influence of the band leaves, thus rendering the band different than it was before.

I say this thinking of many bands that have one guy who writes all the songs and most of the music and the rest of the band's composition really doesn't have much influence on their sound, then realizing some other bands made up like that have lost members and become completely different.

Smashing Pumpkins comes to mind. Four members, Billy Corgan, Jimmy Chamberlain, James Iha, and D'Arcy Wretzky. Corgan wrote all the songs, even reputedly would take over performing the others' instruments on the albums to get the sound right. So you'd think he was all that mattered in the band. Chamberlain gets kicked out after OD'ing with a tour keyboardist in a drug-fest that left the keyboardist dead. Band still sounds good with a drum machine replacing him. Band breaks up two albums later, Corgan and Chamberlain reform the band years later without Iha and D'Arcy, and they suck balls. So clearly the lead guitarist and bassist (who were also backing vocals) had a significant input in the band's creativity even though no one knew it, while the drummer was vestigial to Corgan's talent.
monosyllables

United States

• Posted: 12/12/2011 16:54
  • Post subject:
Just some fun examples of all manner of extremes:
The Fall (Mark E. Smith is the ONLY consistent member of the band. To quote him, "If it's just me and your granny on the bongos, it'll still be the Fall)
Minutemen (Once D. Boon died, Mike and George decided it would be wrong of them to keep using the name Minutemen, the genesis of bands like fIREHOSE and Mike Watt and the Missingmen)
Elvis Costello has toured with a number of backing bands, The Attractions, The Imposters, The Confederates
Bob Dylan has released albums with "The Band," who also have their own discography.
Dinosaur Jr. used to be Dinosaur, but due to legal complications was forced to change names after their first LP
Doom, MF Doom, Madvillain, Danger Doom, ad infinitum
  • Visit poster's website
TrekkiELO

United States

• Posted: 03/03/2012 19:37
  • Post subject:
It is dependent on the circumstances.
  • Visit poster's website