Filter & other general suggestions

View previous topic :: View next topic
Xavygravy

• Posted: 03/06/2012 04:25
  • Post subject: Filter & other general suggestions
Under the tab "The Charts", I think it would be appropriate to have two drop-downs ("The Charts" page, as it is, seems kind of pointless):
One would be "Member Charts"
The other would be "Critic Charts"

Both of these lists should be filterable as they are for songs/bands/albums i.e. Country, decade, and year (when yearly charts are released) should not be blocked out.
The "new and updated charts" page should be combined into the Member Charts page, and simply be sorted by date last updated by A NEW FILTER - sort by (and ascending/descending can also be chosen by a drop down box / an up/down arrow next to rank).
Options could be: Sort By - rating, number of comments, number of ratings, date last updated (incorporates newly created charts), date created, etc.

Both of these lists should also be viewable in list form (no pictures) to increase loading speeds / number of items per page. Number of items per page should also be optional (e.g. 10/20/.../50/100)

Critic Charts should include not only "All Time" charts, but also Decade and Yearly charts (when released), and should work in the same way that member charts do.
A sticky thread could be created to inform you of these critic lists at the end of the year/decade.
Perhaps "Data Moderators" could do the updating of these new lists at the end of each year (for points, of course).

Another suggestion for some critic charts, and perhaps a possibility for member charts in the future (for higher levels): Charts could be allowed to go past 100, up to maybe 200 or 250, but with only a 1 or 0 point overall-chart contribution past the 100 mark. Once again, only for higher-levelled members, to prevent an overwhelming number of new albums added to the site.

Also, in the "Search" page, you should be able to search for charts (mainly for Magazine/Critic names) and members (this is possible in the search bar in the top-right, but excluded from the "Search" page).

That's all I got for now. I'll use this same topic to make any more suggestions.

(also, have you found a way to get my ratings of other charts back?)
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 03/06/2012 09:27
  • Post subject: Re: Filter & other general suggestions
This month, the charts area of the site is planned to be improved. I was going to start implementing CellarDoor's suggestion from a while back. The current plan is to filter by chart type, and to be able to sort the list by date updated/created, but there could be an additional filter for member/recognised charts.

I like the idea of the additional sort options, and custom page sizes, but to keep the current unit of work a manageable size, some of this would need to be split into a different release, and added at a later date.

The idea of Data Moderators adding critics lists is something that has recently been suggested, and is something that will be added in the future. Again, there's a time constraint stopping this being done sooner, but I can't work on the site more than I am without turning it into a full-time job.

I can't see member lists growing to more than 100. I'm not saying it will never happen, but right now I don't see enough benefit in doing/allowing this.

Yes, I'll add another option to the search page to search for member/chart names. This is something on the list.

I've not restored the ratings despite spending quite a bit of time on this already. There are over half a million ratings in the backup file and to find/restore just a subset of these is really fiddly. I'll try and find some more time to look at this when I finish work, but the 'delete' has now been disabled, so it won't happen again.

Thanks for all the great ideas, and I know you said about using the same topic for your next suggestions, but it's better if you use a different thread next time, otherwise it will be really difficult to track progress or to discuss the original ideas that you posted (not just for me, but for others that might want to contribute as well).

albummaster
  • Visit poster's website
Xavygravy

• Posted: 03/07/2012 11:18
  • Post subject:
More ideas:

I think it'd be a good idea to have a notifications thing on the profile bar that has ratings, wish list, etc. just like facebook. It would show people who have rated/commented on our charts, replied to our comments (reply to could be a new comments feature), and forums/albums/charts we've 'subscribed' to.
This would allow notifications without having to receive an email for each individual thing.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 03/08/2012 19:37
  • Post subject:
Good ideas Xavygravy, I had a thought a while back about making some kind of personalised home page where these types of things could be highlighted, kind of like a dashboard. I think showing social activity around your interactions with the site sounds a good idea, and I agree its difficult at the moment to keep on top of this kind of thing without checking every page where you've left a comment/rating etc. There are some RSS feeds which show this kind of stuff, but I don't think RSS has become as popular a technology as I thought it might when I first added them. Again, another one for the list, and I just wish I could do all of these things quicker.
  • Visit poster's website