History of Music project

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 03/11/2012 22:22
  • Post subject:
Sorry Folks, only compiling facts right now. The end project is to work with a friend on making a documentary on each decade. Using archival footage and fair use stuff. But I don't see that happening anytime soon. It is much easier to gather facts and documentary like to gather the facts and let people decide their opinions on their own. I would probably just do it through YouTube. When I posted the history of why I like 57, 67, and 91, yes all copied from Wiki, I did it to recognize really what happened in those years. The project would amass to something way too big and loose focus if it wasn't more fact based. Maybe I'm wrong. In just gathering the facts, I had to split my collection of facts into each decade as google docs couldn't handle the full document. I haven't really seen a great documentary/book that covers the 50s-today in western culture. Sure there are music history books, but I haven't been able to find something that is comprehensive enough to my wants. It either limits it to American music only, or gives only a couple paragraph descriptions for things. I want to synthesize all of that information, but make it informative enough to be solid. I see audio/visual as the best way to do that. Especially since music is best experienced on an emotional level than a strictly cognitive written form.

I guess one could just read Wikipedia, but for me, that isn't as exciting. Wikipedia is probably one of the best sources for music though. You have some serious music geeks who create articles about stuff like the differences between thrash, groove, and death metal. That's cool and all, but it'd be cool to somehow synthesize all of that info into something that is more hands on and easily digestible, but at the same time not shallow.

Right now I only have time for facts. I am writing currently about DDR (east germany), propaganda, and the ideology being still ingrained in that society even today resulting in Ostalgie for my thesis.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 03/11/2012 22:31
  • Post subject:
Here are the links to view, if you are interested. Or you can just view something like "1950s in music" on wiki. At this stage I realize this is nothing special, and I am not expecting anyone to care, unless they are geeks about interesting things in music history. I wanted to synthesize facts important for my project, so here is my version so far:

1950s
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tYb...PMNpQ/edit

1960s
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ays...2r0TA/edit

1970s
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OdO...6KBxE/edit

1980s
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y3b...QnyDo/edit

1990s
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Vk9...yk0BQ/edit
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 03/12/2012 21:43
  • Post subject:
I'm not too interested in decade music history, it's already been done too often. I'd rather read something about how a genre is explored and how you can trace it back to older ones, influences and so on...
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 03/13/2012 02:41
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:
I'm not too interested in decade music history, it's already been done too often. I'd rather read something about how a genre is explored and how you can trace it back to older ones, influences and so on...

Thanks for the feedback. That is kinda what I was going for- how the influences of other musicians, made other music happen. Genres could indeed a better way to organize it, than by decade.
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 03/13/2012 10:27
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:

Yup, genres would be better than just decades. Great idea. *Applause*
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website