20 Albums from 1990/91 That are better than Nevermind

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
newbands1

• Posted: 04/06/2014 05:01
  • Post subject: 20 Albums from 1990/91 That are better than Nevermind
[Was originally going to add more albums but decided to stick to genres closest to Nevermind]

Melvins - Bullhead
Talk Talk - Laughing Stock
They Might Be Giants - Flood
Dinosaur Jr. - Green Mind
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - The Good Son
Sonic Youth - Goo
Bitch Magnet - Ben Hur
Pixies - Bossanova
The Flaming Lips - In a Priest Driven Ambulance
Ride - Nowhere
NoMeansNo - 0 + 2 = 1
Slint - Spiderland
The Nation of Ulysses - 13-Point Program to Destroy America
Fugazi - Repeater
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Teenage Fanclub - Bandwagonesque
Drive Like Jehu - Drive Like Jehu
Shudder to Think - Funeral at the Movies
The Jesus Lizard - Goat
Swans - White Light From the Mouth of Infinity
Compilations
Minor Threat - Complete Discography
Rites of Spring - End on End
Operation Ivy - Operation Ivy

Are we just trying to be contrarian and hate on something just because they got too big and popular.Is the Nirvana worship that we see today warranted?

I feel too often when people praise Nirvana as the best band of the 90's seems to have not heard other music from that decade besides Pearl Jam,Green Day etc..Bands like Pixies and Velvet Underground i can definitely see as highly important in terms of inventiveness of sound(for their decade) however i am unable to give Nirvana the same accolade.

Last edited by newbands1 on 04/06/2014 07:14; edited 3 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 04/06/2014 06:04
  • Post subject: Re: 40 Albums from 1990/91 That are better than Nevermind
newbands1 wrote:
Velvet Underground

The Velvet Underground are so underrated. Their albums from 90/91 are so much better than Nevermind for sure.
  • Visit poster's website
newbands1

• Posted: 04/06/2014 06:28
  • Post subject:
Can't you read I'm not done with my thread.I was trying to draw a parallel between that go to band to represent a decade.
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 04/06/2014 07:39
  • Post subject: Re: 20 Albums from 1990/91 That are better than Nevermind
newbands1 wrote:
[Was originally going to add more albums but decided to stick to genres closest to Nevermind]

Talk Talk - Laughing Stock

I'm not really sure if this is a genre that close to Nevermind but OK.

newbands1 wrote:
Are we just trying to be contrarian and hate on something just because they got too big and popular.

That's what it sounds like here, yeah.

newbands1 wrote:
I feel too often when people praise Nirvana as the best band of the 90's seems to have not heard other music from that decade besides Pearl Jam,Green Day etc..Bands like Pixies and Velvet Underground i can definitely see as highly important in terms of inventiveness of sound(for their decade) however i am unable to give Nirvana the same accolade.

As someone who's heard a lot of music from the 90s, I would still say that Nirvana is one of the best bands. I wouldn't say THE best, necessarily but one of them, certainly. To say that Nirvana was uninventive, though, is unfair. That is to say that MC5 or The Stooges were uninventive. Nirvana took a sound that was still being molded, that was still figuring itself out, and they were a truly key force in figuring out what that sound ended up being.

There's also a certain cultural importance to Nirvana. You've given the example of Velvet Underground, whose classic debut was preserved by the Library of Congress in the National Recording Registry, an honor held by the likes of Joplin, Gershwin, MLK, Eisenhower, Edison, FDR, and of course, Nirvana's Nevermind. A panel of experts declared it culturally relevant. Maybe they were wrong. But I'd be surprised.

Additionally, look at what it did to the public view. The shift was immense. It's like people who don't like Elvis or The Beatles cuz other people were doing the same things as them and didn't make it as big. Well, in the end, something made them different, something was able to propel them more than their competition into the public eye. And did Elvis steal a lot of his music? Yes. Were the Beatles wholly original? No. Do the predecessors deserve credit. YES.

So today, let's remember the guys that helped make Nirvana big. Let's remember The U-Men and Butthole Surfers and Angry Samoans and Melvins and Mudhoney, all bands Cobain respected and admired. But let's also give credit to an incredible man who did a lot for music and the culture relating to it, Kurt Cobain. And to the rest of Nirvana, as he couldn't've done it alone.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
secondscepe

• Posted: 04/06/2014 08:54
  • Post subject:
It was mainly just a real breath of fresh air in the context of what was on the radio in america because of all of the hairpop like poison and bonjovi then whatever other dad rock was being vomited out of radio stations at the time

If the radio stations didn't cater to all of the dumbass rednecks and dumbasses who conform to redneck taste and played the pixies and jane's addiction and punk like bad brains, minor threat, misfits and stuff like joy division, new order and whatever else music that didn't suck, then there wouldn't have been a problem

we are still having horrible dad rock problems here
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 04/06/2014 09:13
  • Post subject:
secondscepe wrote:
It was mainly just a real breath of fresh air in the context of what was on the radio in america because of all of the hairpop like poison and bonjovi then whatever other dad rock was being vomited out of radio stations at the time

If the radio stations didn't cater to all of the dumbass rednecks and dumbasses who conform to redneck taste and played the pixies and jane's addiction and punk like bad brains, minor threat, misfits and stuff like joy division, new order and whatever else music that didn't suck, then there wouldn't have been a problem

we are still having horrible dad rock problems here

But don't you think Nirvana is today's dadrock?
  • Visit poster's website
thirdpeng

• Posted: 04/06/2014 09:36
  • Post subject:
do you remember jman's chart when he first came here and the music he talked about, that is the extent of what most men over the age of 30 here understand about music
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 04/06/2014 12:21
  • Post subject:
I think this is an excellent thread...

... for KidA to post in!
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 04/06/2014 15:04
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:

Nirvana is completely dadrock now - call it an innevitable symptom of their overwhelming mainstream popularity. The "under-appreciated" bands like the Pixies (under-appreciated by who, exactly? Have you read a single music blog or zine in the last 20+ years?) were spared this fate because they never really got mainstream radio play, and for this we should be glad.

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website
Mies

• Posted: 04/06/2014 15:51
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:

My dad dislikes everything that was released after The Wall. So he dislikes Nirvana, too.

Aniway, maybe I just live in a shitty place (that's possible), but Nirvana have never been on the radio so much.

Also, I don't like too much Nevermind (I think In Utero is much better), but anyway Nevermind was truly important for popular music at the time, many guys who lived that moment still remember that.