Rock and Hip Hop Statistics

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 04/08/2014 12:09
  • Post subject: Rock and Hip Hop Statistics
A few months ago you might remember I conducted a questionnaire to look at the different demographics of Rock and Hip Hop. A couple of you mentioned being interested in seeing the results, and since I finally got around to producing them, I thought I would share them with you. They're not the most shocking or inspiring statistics, especially considering the limited range of responses I received, but hopefully they'll still spark some discussion. I've not drawn any conclusions as of yet, so it might be interesting to hear what you think:

Quote:
Those questioned were sourced from my local area, BestEverAlbums.com and reddit.com.
A total of 159 people responded.
90% of those that responded were white.

Of those that belief Rock has greater value in society…
51% believed Hip Hop incites sexism (50% of which were female).
34% believed Hip Hop incites drug use.
34% believed Hip Hop incites profanity.
34% believed Hip Hop encourages the production of poorer quality music.
31% believed Hip Hop incites racism.
30% believed Hip Hop incites violence.
36% did not believe Hip Hop incites any of the above.

Of those that belief Hip Hop has greater value in society…
22% believed Rock incites violence.
17% believed Rock incites drug use.
7% believed Rock incites the production of poorer quality music.
3% believed Rock incites profanity.
2% believed Rock incites sexism.
No one believed Rock incites Racism.
73% did not believed Rock incites any of the above.

92% of those that prefer Hip Hop believe their musical preference has changed over their lifetime.
80% of those that prefer Rock believe their musical preference has changed over their lifetime.

18% of females preferred Hip Hop.
25% of males preferred Hip Hop.

Of those that prefer Hip Hop…
57% believe they respond most to melody.
43% believe they respond most to rhythm.

Of those that prefer Rock…
80% believe they respond most to melody.
20% believe they respond most to rhythm.

27% believed Hip Hop requires more musical ability to write - 26% of these prefer Hip Hop.
73% believed Rock required more musical ability to write – 88% of these prefer Rock.
38% believed Hip Hop has more value in society – 40% of these prefer Hip Hop.
62% believed Rock has more value in society – 88% of these prefer Rock.
29% of those that prefer Rock believe Hip Hop has more value.

If you guys have any questions or thoughts, I'd love to hear them. This is all contributing to my dissertation that I will be completing in the next month.
Happymeal

• Posted: 04/08/2014 15:01
  • Post subject:
Even though only 10% weren't white people, I'd recommend also releasing/making stats for that 10% just to see the difference between all that voted. I'd think that'd be a bit more interesting to read through.

And this is obvious, but I think the survey limited itself in both participants and material, but it's difficult to get a very well rounded survey over the internet especially with the people you typically meet so I can't fault you for that.
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 04/08/2014 15:18
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:
Even though only 10% weren't white people, I'd recommend also releasing/making stats for that 10% just to see the difference between all that voted. I'd think that'd be a bit more interesting to read through.

And this is obvious, but I think the survey limited itself in both participants and material, but it's difficult to get a very well rounded survey over the internet especially with the people you typically meet so I can't fault you for that.

I decided to drop any results based on race after seeing how overwhelmingly white the responses were - especially when only one response of the 159 were black. There was also no obvious pattern between Hispanic and Asian responses, so it didn't really seem right to make a point on race. I included the 90% statistic just to show how one sided the results really are, which is a shame, but hopefully race and musical preference can be seen as isolated when considering the results.

And yeah, the survey is very limited, but I thought it might still be interesting to see when the results are mostly from our peers.
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 04/08/2014 15:22
  • Post subject:
Do you draw any big-picture conclusions from it?

EDIT: Sorry, I'll learn how to read someday.
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 04/08/2014 15:35
  • Post subject:
At worst, I'd say it suggests racism... at best, ethnocentrism. You can make fair arguments about differences in the topics covered between the genres (I'm guessing hip hop refers to violence more often and/or more explicitly than rock), but that stuff about differences in music quality and skill required is pretty silly.
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 04/08/2014 16:24
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
At worst, I'd say it suggests racism... at best, ethnocentrism. You can make fair arguments about differences in the topics covered between the genres (I'm guessing hip hop refers to violence more often and/or more explicitly than rock), but that stuff about differences in music quality and skill required is pretty silly.

This is good, because that's the raw line of argument for my dissertation, and I really wanted to highlight these misconceptions.

Maybe it wasn't fair to force those taking the questionnaire to choose between whether Rock or Hip Hop requires more ability to create, but I think it's more important that when forced to make the choice, they clearly went with Rock. What's most interesting is that almost a third of those that preferred rock said Hip Hop requires more skill, and those that prefer Hip Hop are more critical of their own genre than Rock.

• Posted: 04/08/2014 17:54
  • Post subject: Re: Rock and Hip Hop Statistics
Puncture Repair wrote:
27% believed Hip Hop requires more musical ability to write - 26% of these prefer Hip Hop.
38% believed Hip Hop has more value in society – 40% of these prefer Hip Hop.

Those two sound kinda wrong. I think you've probably made a mistake there; I mean do you really think 60% of the 38% that believe Hip Hop has more value in society are rockists?

• Posted: 04/08/2014 18:10
tekin wrote:
Those two sound kinda wrong. I think you've probably made a mistake there; I mean do you really think 60% of the 38% that believe Hip Hop has more value in society are rockists?

Don't underestimate the power of white guilt.

• Posted: 04/08/2014 18:17
lethalnezzle wrote:
Don't underestimate the power of white guilt.

Well now that I think I get it. Probably those are the people who enjoy Hip Hop more or less on the same level but since they had to choose one, chose Rock because there's more of it probably.
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 04/08/2014 18:18
tekin wrote:

I think this is correct, correct me if I'm wrong:

158 answered the first question, 43 said Hip Hop requires more ability, 11 of which earlier stated they preferred Hip Hop.

157 answered the second question, 60 said Hip Hop has more value, 24 of which earlier stated they preferred Hip Hop.

It's important to note that only 35 responses said that they preferred Hip Hop.