Overrated Albums

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
SamTheMan

• Posted: 03/12/2007 21:00
  • Post subject: Overrated Albums
What, in peoples opinion, are the most overrated albums ever?

I won't list any bcoz of the Revolver situation.
I'm only young give me a break
  • Visit poster's website
YellowBook

• Posted: 03/12/2007 21:11
  • Post subject:
It would be a dull world if everyone liked the same things. For me, I never understand why the Oasis albums ranked so well.

Maybe to someone young Revolver does sound dated, after all it is a long time ago but is the grandfather of modern music.

You don;t have to have the same music as someone else. In fact, it's better not to.
  • Visit poster's website
empire22

• Posted: 03/13/2007 04:18
  • Post subject:
I'll go ahead and touch it. Naturally, not everybody will agree with me, since this is only my opinion.

I think Pet Sounds is overrated. It represents a movement of the Beach Boys into deeper and more complex music, with some great tracks. But at the end of the day, I think it has too many tracks that are old school Beach Boys. Give them another album or two, and I think they could have made a true masterpiece. I see it more as a Help! (with some great songs, but no overall form and too stuck in the past) than Rubber Soul (all great and innovative songs, in a tight form).

I have to go for a sacred cow next. I think Bob Dylan with Blonde on Blonde, Blood on the Tracks, and Highway 61 is being remembered for his influential position as the voice of his generation than his albums truly deserve regard as three of the best ever recorded.
  • Visit poster's website
  • AIM Address
The_111th_Beatle

• Posted: 03/13/2007 14:15
  • Post subject: Re: Overrated Albums
SamTheMan wrote:
What, in peoples opinion, are the most overrated albums ever?

I won't list any bcoz of the Revolver situation.
I'm only young give me a break

Sorry if anything I said in the Revolver thread bothered you, you're entitled to your opnion and I was just giving my opinion by defending Revolver.

I kinda agree with empire22 about Blonde on Blonde (although I love Highway 61). Its a good album but I can't see why its rated as high as it is, especially above Highway 61 which I think is better.
empire22

• Posted: 03/13/2007 14:55
  • Post subject:
My idea about Dylan is that his albums are not rated for their artistic and musical achievement, but their cultural significance. I was not around during the 60's, and I don't have the same cultural connection to his music. I don't see his music standing up as the best of all time when stripped of its cultural context. Part of that stems from his lack of talent as a vocalist, and the harmonica to me. I guess I've just never been a fan of the harmonica.

I think also, it helps that he's American, at a time when the British Invasion was reaching fever pitch
  • Visit poster's website
  • AIM Address
SamTheMan

• Posted: 03/13/2007 19:00
  • Post subject:
Its cool mate (111th Beatle) I shouldn't argue with the album which appears in the most charts.
Anyway, I also feel that the Oasis albums & are overrated, as well as mabye half of the music out today. (Razorlight 5 Stars in Q? Your Joking)

Last edited by SamTheMan on 11/10/2007 00:57; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 06/03/2007 19:37
  • Post subject: Oasis
Anything by Oasis.

Could someone please explain to me why the Brits hold this band in such high regard? Their lyrics are often trivial or trite and their melodies are often blatantly stolen from other bands they couldn't walk in the shoes of. In truth, they are not in same league as The Beatles, The Stones, The Who, The Kinks, The Zombies, Van Morrison, David Bowie, The Smiths, The Stone Roses, U2 or Radiohead. In truth, they are a pretty good pop/rock band with chops, who have written a few great songs that emulate the Beatles. That's it. I've have listened to both "Definitely Maybe" and "Morning Glory," and they are not classic albums.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 06/04/2007 05:04
  • Post subject: Overrated Albums
Well, I can't help anyone re: Oasis. I think they are among the most overrated bands in history...

Most overrated albums in my opinion are:

1. Rubber Soul-The Beatles (1965)
2. Ziggy Stardust-David Bowie (1972)
3. Revolver-The Beatles (1966)
4. The Beatles-The Beatles (1966)
5. Sgt. Pepper-The Beatles (1967)
6. Pet Sounds-The Beach Boys (1966)
7. Nevermind-Nirvana (1991)
8. Dark Side of the Moon-Pink Floyd (1973)
9. Abbey Road-The Beatles (1969)
10. Born To Run-Bruce Springsteen (1975)
  • Visit poster's website
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 06/06/2007 23:21
  • Post subject:
Wow,

That's a a lot of sacred cows you're slaughtering there, After Hours. You must admit though, those albums would make some tasty steaks and burgers. I'm curious to check out your list now.

I'm glad I'm not alone in my befuddlement of Oasis's icon status, but I also noticed you seem to think their biggest influence (The Beatles) are somewhat overrated. Or am I generalizing? Please explain. I think Oasis are overrated because they are a pale imatiation of The Beatles who it is difficult to overrate for reasons too numerous to mention.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 06/08/2007 01:09
  • Post subject:
Well, I think Oasis are inferior to The Beatles, but I definitely think The Beatles are much more overrated, since they top most album polls around the world, oftentimes with as many as 4-5 albums in the top 10 or 20. While their albums are decent, pleasureable like jelly beans, I don't find any of them to be close to masterpieces (say, a Rueben Beef sandwhich?)

I just updated my own list if you want to see my current choices/rankings...
  • Visit poster's website