Regarding Charts

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Kiki

• Posted: 07/27/2010 20:05
  • Post subject: Regarding Charts
So it's been little over a day and I'm already feeling disillusioned with my chart. When I first made a chart on this site it was very easy to do, I had a vague list in my head of what my favorite albums were and managed to get the list from 53 to 50 easily. Nowadays I'm finding it harder and harder to find what I really like.

This is partially due to the amount of the new music I have been exposed to since I joined (which I greatly appreciate, thanks bea). This means there are like 50-100 albums which I have liked and perhaps 10-20 I have considered great. All of these haven't totally digested into my system yet. It's been a few weeks since I have known some and some which have been given 1-2 plays. Finding the time to give them more plays is something which will take ages.

Meanwhile, I'm finding less time to listen to the ones I really enjoyed before coming on here. In fact, that's incorrect. A few of them do push the new albums from the top of the pile but most get left behind. I would look at them and think "Hey, that's a great album" and not bother to listen.

Maybe I have piled on too much too soon? I still feel the urge to put more on the pile though.

So right now my own "music taste" is like 200 people inside a two story house.

This coupled with jazz standard attitudes, sly comments, lack of interest and a insistence of marking down rather than only rewarding for choices finds me wanting to throw my chart away and start again time after time.
thomas697

Australia

• Posted: 07/28/2010 00:27
  • Post subject:
I'm going through the exact same problem. Im starting to think that 50 may not been enough.

Its hard to rank albums that are totally different aswell, saying black sabbath is better than pink floyd or vice versa is hard because they are the masters in their respecitve genres, and then I worry about keeping my list to just one genre as its easier to compare albums in their respective genre.

Then you have timeline, comparing albums form different decades ican be a mind fuck, theres no real method to comparing say Sigur Ros to Led Zeppelin (at least no method I'm aware of).

These are just some of the issues I have with my chart at the moment.
purple

• Posted: 08/19/2010 16:35
  • Post subject:
I think everyone understands that there are more than 50 perfect albums out there and that our musical tastes change every few months, perhaps even everyday. That's why I stick to top 10s now; I find its not nearly as time consuming, and you really only listen to 5-20 albums religiously (at least every other day, fully) at any one time, so you should just let people know what your current favorites are right now. you won't get criticized unless you've got brokencyde or something on your chart...
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 08/19/2010 16:59
  • Post subject:
That's interesting. For me, the chart is about albums that don't lose their enjoyment value over time, or albums that I anticipate will be that way. I don't treat it as an ephemeral thing. Hardly anything on my chart is current because it has to go through a trial process first. Boxer is, I think, my only current album. I've listened to it over 10 times, and each time I thoroughly enjoyed it. In fact, it got better with additional listens! So I have determined that Boxer will stand the test of time. Now there is too much music to be explored to listen to your top 50 all the time, so usually what I'm listening to currently isn't in my top 50. Those albums are being tried out essentially. But the top 50 just signifies albums I can always go back to and enjoy or get something out of.
  • Visit poster's website
Freddie55

Canada

• Posted: 08/19/2010 17:25
  • Post subject:
I agree with Shankly. I have a top 40 chart of best ever albums and then I list my top 10 albums from this year (2010s). I spend 80% of my time listening to about 100 albums from 2009 and 2010. I prefer to listen to new releases as often as possible.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 08/19/2010 18:20
  • Post subject:
Freddie55 wrote:
I agree with Shankly. I have a top 40 chart of best ever albums and then I list my top 10 albums from this year (2010s). I spend 80% of my time listening to about 100 albums from 2009 and 2010. I prefer to listen to new releases as often as possible.

I hope you're ready for 'Postcards From A Young Man' Smile
Kiki

• Posted: 08/19/2010 18:22
  • Post subject:
I'm much more satisfied with my chart lately. After sitting down and listening to as much as possible I have a much more accurate top 30. All that is wrong about it now is what's not there. Still a lot to re-listen. Everything deserves it's place up there right now Smile
Freddie55

Canada

• Posted: 08/19/2010 18:42
  • Post subject:
an_outlaw wrote:
I hope you're ready for 'Postcards From A Young Man' Smile

I'm looking forward to it. I must say however that Journal for Plague Lovers was good but not exceptional.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
CellarDoor
Shoe-Punk Loner

France

• Posted: 08/23/2010 16:54
  • Post subject:
purple wrote:
I think everyone understands that there are more than 50 perfect albums out there and that our musical tastes change every few months, perhaps even everyday. That's why I stick to top 10s now; I find its not nearly as time consuming, and you really only listen to 5-20 albums religiously (at least every other day, fully) at any one time, so you should just let people know what your current favorites are right now. you won't get criticized unless you've got brokencyde or something on your chart...

I get it purple.

I have over a hundred 5* albums (95-100/100) in my collection, so it's pretty obvious I can't stuff them all into the top 50. Hence also the "one per artist" motto.
So yeah, I like my chart to change, reflecting what I'm currently enjoying more (some weeks it's all jazz, some weeks krautrock...).
I could consider my top 10 invariable (but even that hasn't always been true).

My chart will see albums come and go only because we are the ones who change, not the albums.

• Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 08/24/2010 05:14
  • Post subject:
yeah, no doubt a top 50 should reflect albums that you keep on going back to, but there are too many of those to put on a top 50 chart, and my tastes do change from month to month. For instance, I had Entertainment! and Remain in Light in my top ten several weeks ago (before I disappeared for afew weeks) but now they would only be in the 30s, 40s, or 50s of a top 50 chart now though they are both perfect albums an deserve a #1 spot. I mean even though I just posted a top 10 a couple days ago, right now I'm mostly listening to SA's tejano radio, but my top ten reflects which albums I'm currently really, really into.