Will continue this later.

Preach! Applause
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 04/23/2019 17:51
  • Post subject:
BEA members as MLB figures, Part 2

AfterHours - Rube Waddell

Excellent command and precision. Never stopped improving and expanding his "stuff". And since Waddell is from the 1800s, I'm just guessing he and AfterHours shared some music taste.

Puncture Repair - Sandy Koufax

Had a great run, and quit while he was ahead.

Tha1ChiefRocka - George Brett

A lifelong Royal, whose high-level talent of hitting equals Rocka's music knowledge.

Romanelli - Joe West

Universally respected, and a staunch proponent of fair play. An unsung hero who works hard every day to make his domain a better one.

neilgee - Andrew Chafin

Makes a lot of appearances, but they usually consist of facing one batter, then leaving.

Skinny - Aroldis Chapman

His words hit you like a Chapman fastball, with blinding speeding. And you're not sure where it's gonna go, or what it's gonna be, but it's probably gonna be a strike, even when it's outside the zone.

RockyRaccoon - Brooks Robinson

Mild-mannered and an all-around good sport. Gets it done at the plate and in the field.

JOSweetheart - Barry Zito

Since his retirement from baseball, Zito has pursued a career in country music. Who could possibly be a better fit for JOSweetheart?

Will continue this later

Also, I have a list of more users I'm thinking of making selections for. If you want a selection, let me know.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 04/23/2019 18:40
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:

Excellent command and precision. Never stopped improving and expanding his "stuff". And since Waddell is from the 1800s, I'm just guessing he and AfterHours shared some music taste.

His skill as a pitcher was not why I mentioned Waddell Laughing

Were you meaning to call AfterHours the most eccentric BEA user of all time? https://medium.com/@BaseballObscura/tha...e00416f73d
JOSweetHeart

• Posted: 04/23/2019 22:25
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
JOSweetheart - Barry Zito

Since his retirement from baseball, Zito has pursued a career in country music. Who could possibly be a better fit for JOSweetheart?

I've never heard of this guy before, but he is cute! Thank you so much for matching me up with him! Smile Smile Smile

God bless you and him always!!!

Holly

P.S. Ironically I am currently listening to some of my favorite non country music. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Check him out here when you can!
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 04/24/2019 00:37
  • Post subject:
Quote:
Tha1ChiefRocka - George Brett

A lifelong Royal, whose high-level talent of hitting equals Rocka's music knowledge.

Haha, as a lifelong Kansas Citian, I can tell you that a lot of people have George Brett stories, myself included. But I'll leave you with what is one of the most bizarre things probably every spoken about on the baseball field.

Warning: It's truly horrible. Laughing

Link
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 04/24/2019 02:46
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Haha, as a lifelong Kansas Citian, I can tell you that a lot of people have George Brett stories, myself included. But I'll leave you with what is one of the most bizarre things probably every spoken about on the baseball field.

Link

One time when I was driving, a morning radio show played the audio from this. Very strange and funny indeed. But yes, I was aware of this, but I assure that was not why I selected him. Only because he was a dedicated Royal and full of energy (the Pine Tar incident). Would you have preferred Saberhagen? Laughing So wait, what's your George Brett story?
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 04/24/2019 03:04
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
StreetSpirit wrote:

His skill as a pitcher was not why I mentioned Waddell Laughing

Were you meaning to call AfterHours the most eccentric BEA user of all time? https://medium.com/@BaseballObscura/tha...e00416f73d

I had never heard this story but that's hilarious. So Waddell once punched a lion in the face just to see its reaction, and nearly got his hand bitten off. Well maybe, according the article that's unconfirmed. But what seems clear is Waddell was quite a character. Thanks for sharing that article, a joy to read. But does AfterHours still fit? Hmm, well he has character for sure, but maybe we can say 'just a different type of character.' Haha.

Most eccentric BEA user of all time? I don't know. I've read JMan was a piece of work, and something about a thread about penises that went on for 10 pages. But that was before we joined. We missed out.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 04/24/2019 03:09
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:

Link

One time when I was driving, a morning radio show played the audio from this. Very strange and funny indeed. But yes, I was aware of this, but I assure that was not why I selected him. Only because he was a dedicated Royal and full of energy (the Pine Tar incident). Would you have preferred Saberhagen? Laughing So wait, what's your George Brett story?

Absolutely. I've got my fair share of embarrassing stories I force onto people as well. Very Happy

It's more of my brother's story. My closest interaction with him was playing one of his sons in football.

My brother and I were both umpires, and he once umped a game for one of Brett's kids, and he tried to pay my brother after the game for a job well done!
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 04/24/2019 18:06
  • Post subject:
BEA members as MLB figures, Part 3

benpaco - Hunter Pence

Keeps a lower profile nowadays, but a trooper who kills it on the diamond.

GARY - Ty Cobb

The super-villain of a former era.

Applerill - Rickey Henderson

Left field, in both senses of the term.

meccalecca - Davey Johnson

A practical and strategic approach. Brings out the best in those around him, and guides his team to victory. And he's also a Mets fan, right?

CryingGameDahlin - Ichiro Suzuki

Well-traveled, but a treasure of Seattle. Can the hit the ball in any direction, wherever/however it takes to get to 1st base.

Mercury - Adam Wainwright

Nice fellow off the field, but a tough competitor on the field. And sometimes he overexerts himself and has to take significant time off.

Anti - Kenny Lofton

Cleveland represent

Will continue this later

I still have a list of users to make selections for, but it's getting smaller. Let me know if you want a selection.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 04/27/2019 18:33
  • Post subject:
BEA members as guys with balls and bats, Part 4

Jimmy Dread - Mike Gatting

videoheadcleaner - Michael Clarke

Notice that I changed the title from MLB to plainly "guys with balls and bats." Gotta represent Blighty, Down Under, and the cricketers. I honestly don't know much about cricket and these specific players. I'm only going off ethnicity and their success on the field, not by personality. I feel I would have been a big cricket fan if I was from one of these countries.

Gowi and badseed - Earl Weaver and Bobby Cox

Link

These guys know their shit and are on top of their game, but they're not the type to back down from a dispute and defend their perspective.

junodog4 - Joe Carter

He gave Canadian baseball its most historic moment, much to the chagrin of Phillies fans such as myself (but really, no offense, I was too young to remember it).

PurpleHazel - Bernie Williams

Since retiring from baseball, Bernie Williams has become a jazz guitarist and released a couple albums.

AAL2014 - Denny McLain

Very talented the organ and on the mound. And a Tiger to boot! Sounds like AAL2014 to me. But stay on the right side of the law, AAL. Don't go jail like McLain.

and that's a wrap for this series, for me anyway

I've run out of ideas for this theme but if someone else wants to continue it, or start a new theme, go for it. It's been fun and I hope you enjoyed the selections.
  • Visit poster's website