Hillary Clinton 2016

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Could Hillary Rodham Clinton make a good President of the United States of America?
Yes!
39%
 39%  [19]
No!
60%
 60%  [29]
Total Votes : 48

Revolution909

Ireland

• Posted: 06/19/2014 22:50
  • Post subject: Hillary Clinton 2016
As the speculation is heating up and after the release of Hard Choices , this topic will hopefully be a home to general discussion on the topic of Hillary Clinton 2016. A selection of questions to choose from, if one desires to make use of them:

• Will Hillary Rodham Clinton decide to run for President of the United States of America in 2016?

• Could she secure the Democratic Party nomination?

• Could she, as a Democrat, defeat a Republican challenger?

• Would she make a good president?

• What may be the biggest obstacles stumbling blocks for her possibly being elected?

• How might she be similar and/or different to Barack Obama and his administration?

• Is America ready for a female President?

• What (if anything) might a female President bring to US and international politics that would be new?

• Might she be too old for the job?

• Might she take the name 'President Rodham-Clinton', to aid the differentiation between her and her husband's administrations?

• Who will be the First Lady/Gentleman? If it's Bill, what do we call him?

• Did you know that Hillary Clinton is a Grammy Award winner? Shocked

Top 100 Music Albums of the 2010s

Last edited by Revolution909 on 06/19/2014 22:57; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Revolution909

Ireland

• Posted: 06/19/2014 22:56
  • Post subject:
It's late here in Hibernia so I'll post up my opinions in the morn Smile

• Visit poster's website
Precedent

• Posted: 06/19/2014 23:43
  • Post subject: Re: Hillary Clinton 2016
Revolution909 wrote:
As the speculation is heating up and after the release of Hard Choices , this topic will hopefully be a home to general discussion on the topic of Hillary Clinton 2016. A selection of questions to choose from, if one desires to make use of them:

• Will Hillary Rodham Clinton decide to run for President of the United States of America in 2016? Most likely

• Could she secure the Democratic Party nomination? Yes

• Could she, as a Democrat, defeat a Republican challenger? Of course she could, however, I hope that she doesn't

• Would she make a good president? One of the better candidates on the democratic side, time will tell.

• What may be the biggest obstacles stumbling blocks for her possibly being elected? Being a female and having some odd press

• How might she be similar and/or different to Barack Obama and his administration? I hope that she gets things done

• Is America ready for a female President? As a whole, yes.

• What (if anything) might a female President bring to US and international politics that would be new? Not much, at all

• Might she be too old for the job? No!

• Might she take the name 'President Rodham-Clinton', to aid the differentiation between her and her husband's administrations? I doubt it

• Who will be the First Lady/Gentleman? If it's Bill, what do we call him? First Gentleman

• Did you know that Hillary Clinton is a Grammy Award winner? Yes!

Far from my choice, but she's probably the best Democrat right now.
satiemaniac

• Posted: 06/20/2014 00:01
Revolution909 wrote:
Is America ready for a female President?
What (if anything) might a female President bring to US and international politics that would be new?
Might she be too old for the job?
Who will be the First Lady/Gentleman? If it's Bill, what do we call him?

d'oh!

She, like any Democrat, will be better than the Republican choice, but far from desirable. If she's anything like her husband or the current president (or you know, herself as a Senator), she will be yet another hawk who bafflingly isn't called out as such anywhere. Domestic policy will be floundering and tired, and, again, if anything like these two most recent Democrats, much too little (for whatever reason you want to ascribe) to create the broad, radical adjustments needed to serve the working class people Democrats pretend to care for so much. I'd be shocked, as well, if she didn't carry on the tried and true Democrat practice of lining the pockets and protecting the asses of all the CEOs in the immediate vicinity while trying to claim some moral superiority over Republicans who are much more straightforward about doing such.
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 06/20/2014 01:25
  • Post subject:
Will Hillary Rodham Clinton decide to run for President of the United States of America in 2016?
Pretty sure she will. In interviews, she's cagey with all her answers - not sounding like a retired politician at all.

At this point, she'd be the favourite. You never know who can surface, however.

As long as the Republicans are split between the Tea Party and sanity factions, they'll hand it to the Dems.

Why not?

• What may be the biggest obstacles stumbling blocks for her possibly being elected?
Some baggage from her FLOTUS years, Republicans making hay out of Benghazi, whatever smears the GOP throws at her, and her own potential missteps.

• How might she be similar and/or different to Barack Obama and his administration?
She's been a little more forthright in her opinions, but I don't see a huge difference.

I hope so.

• What (if anything) might a female President bring to US and international politics that would be new?
Media making stupid comments about the president's appearance/wardrobe.

Maybe, but Reagan was ancient. As long as she's healthy and competent, who cares?

• Might she take the name 'President Rodham-Clinton', to aid the differentiation between her and her husband's administrations?
Was that an issue for the Bushes? At least her first name is different.

First gentleman.

Nope[/i]
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 06/20/2014 06:03
Precedent wrote:
Far from my choice, but she's probably the best Democrat right now.

d'oh!

How many Democrats do you know? You MUST mean she's the best Democrat from the political royalty here. Even then, doubtful. She's a corporatist scum, just like Obama, and Bush, and pretty much everyone in Congress maybe with a few exceptions. Come on. Just off the top of my head, Elizabeth Warren is infinitely better than Hillary Clinton. And if we can look even a tiny bit to the left of the center-right party that the Democrats have become, we'll see there's a lot more potential there. Of course they usually just get swallowed up by the two-party system. I'm so tired of this shit. We haven't even had the midterm elections yet. There is real legislation that needs to be worked on and instead we're worrying about who's going to be soiling the sheets at the White House years from now.
Revolution909

Ireland

• Posted: 06/20/2014 09:43
• Will Hillary Rodham Clinton decide to run for President of the United States of America in 2016?
Yes, most likely.

I think this will be Hillary's big test. She came into 2008 practically pre-ordained as the next President... and then lost when some nobody at the time to her left surpassed her spectacularly by working his ass off to fight for the votes. She'll really need to work for her votes this time around and not just expect them to roll in.
DID YOU KNOW that Clinton beat Obama in the popular vote during the 2008 primaries, by almost 300,000 votes!? The electoral college system is bizarre, surely it does a massive disservice to American democracy. It takes all the nuance out of the real voting figures and just heaps a load of point/electoral college votes on someone who may have as little as 50.1% support in that state.

I'm calling it now and will be willing to come back and say I'm wrong if needs be. The next President of the United States will be decided the night the Democratic nominee is chosen. Republicans do not stand a chance, with their constant gaffes, their obstructionism (which they don't get called out for enough, in my opinion), their archaic social policies, uninspiring pool of potential candidates etc.
The only way I could see any Republican having a fighting chance is if one or more of the following happen:
(a) another 9/11 style attack of that magnitude occurs on Obama's watch.
(b) Obama really fucks up the end of his second term in some way.
(c) Republicans radically change their views and policy ideas and put forth an intelligent, articulate and somewhat likeable candidate.
It's a shame that the elections have become a choice between a "meh" candidate and an unelectable one. Where's the leadership?

I would think she would make an okay President. Her being elected would probably give a boost to female empowerment, both by showing that a woman can have the top-job AND because I can see women's issues (equality in the workplace and such) being a high priority for Clinton, seeing as she would have a better, more acute understanding of the issues they face.
Another 4-8 years of Democratic control in the White House means that as some older Supreme Court Justices retire, they will be replaced by more liberal Justices.
HOWEVER she would be as pro-corporation/ big business as Obama has turned out to be, if not more so. There is nothing wrong with being pro-corporation up to a certain extent, but the extent to which it has reached in the US is very bad for the little guy. She won't dare mess with them for fear of jeopardising campaign financing for Democrats and also because she has been gladly taking millions of dollars form big-business making speeches and whatnot.
She would do nothing to take money out of politics, which is a massive shame.

Somebody from the left surpassing her again.
This whole Benghazi debacle of ridiculousness that conservatives are using purely to sully her name.
Obama's legacy, especially if it gets much worse (current polling has him at 41%).
Fatigue with the current establishment.
Mistakes on the campaign trail. ("dead broke" Rolling Eyes )

I can see her possibly being more "getting shit done" than Obama is, as someone alluded to above. He seems to just be coasting along. Though it's hard with Republicans in Congress behaving as they are.
Overall, a Clinton presidency would be a vote for more of the same. She has said herself that she agrees with Obama on far more issues than she disagrees with him.

Hopefully yes. If the UK, Brazil, Germany, South Korea, Australia could handle one, surely the US can.

Not a great deal. More talk of her hair and clothes. Perhaps a greater appreciation for minority and gender-issues (more dependant on a person's personality and views than on their sex, granted). Perhaps less of an appetite to go to war (though Clinton's record shows she can be quite hawkish).

Her age will be brought up as a negative talking point in 2016. As long as she remains healthy and competant during the campaign and her possible tenure as President, then I would answer "no" to my question.
If Reagan can, so can she (don't women live longer anyways! Laughing ).

I personally think this might be a good idea, though she probably won't.

If Bill takes the job, First Gentlemen. I've heard awful suggestions thrown around like "First Mate", "First Man" and "First Husband".
I don't think that it's beyond belief that Chelsea Clinton could take the job. The job does not require it to be the spouse of the President. If she were to prove competent and intelligent, that coupled with her youth would make her a great asset.

In 1997, Clinton received a Grammy Award for Best Spoken Word Album for her audio recording of the book It Takes a Village.

Not being in America and not being an American, I am "on the outside looking in" as it were. So I'm interested to see if my views are accurate/somewhat correct or if I'm way off the mark Smile

Last edited by Revolution909 on 06/20/2014 09:52; edited 3 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
Revolution909

Ireland

• Posted: 06/20/2014 09:45
Jasonconfused wrote:
d'oh!

How many Democrats do you know? You MUST mean she's the best Democrat from the political royalty here. Even then, doubtful. She's a corporatist scum, just like Obama, and Bush, and pretty much everyone in Congress maybe with a few exceptions. Come on. Just off the top of my head, Elizabeth Warren is infinitely better than Hillary Clinton. And if we can look even a tiny bit to the left of the center-right party that the Democrats have become, we'll see there's a lot more potential there. Of course they usually just get swallowed up by the two-party system. I'm so tired of this shit. We haven't even had the midterm elections yet. There is real legislation that needs to be worked on and instead we're worrying about who's going to be soiling the sheets at the White House years from now.

With the way Congress is now, legislation comes second to destroying Obama. Sad

• Visit poster's website
Revolution909

Ireland

• Posted: 06/20/2014 09:52
satiemaniac wrote:
d'oh!

She, like any Democrat, will be better than the Republican choice, but far from desirable. If she's anything like her husband or the current president (or you know, herself as a Senator), she will be yet another hawk who bafflingly isn't called out as such anywhere. Domestic policy will be floundering and tired, and, again, if anything like these two most recent Democrats, much too little (for whatever reason you want to ascribe) to create the broad, radical adjustments needed to serve the working class people Democrats pretend to care for so much. I'd be shocked, as well, if she didn't carry on the tried and true Democrat practice of lining the pockets and protecting the asses of all the CEOs in the immediate vicinity while trying to claim some moral superiority over Republicans who are much more straightforward about doing such.

Agreements. Smile

• Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 06/20/2014 15:39
Jasonconfused wrote:
Just off the top of my head, Elizabeth Warren is infinitely better than Hillary Clinton.

Elizabeth Warren is amazing, but she'd be destroyed by the extreme right if elected to office. If the GOP goes against everything Obama tries to pass through now, just imagine what would happen with Warren.

Like you said, the whole two party system is where it's fucked. Until the two party system is annihilated, gridlock will continue to cripple the government. I'm not an Obama apologist. He's made plenty of mistakes, but I do think he'd accomplish far more without the GOP crushing everything he attempts to get done. The Dems have had to compromise in such ways where we end up getting totally 3rd rate versions of proposed legislation. Without such insane opposition, we might have gotten a good Universal health care system. Instead we got the Affordable Health care act, which is simply better than what we had, but crap compared to pretty much any developed nation.

Anytime we have to meet half way between sound logic and corrupt, deranged lunacy, we lose.
  • Visit poster's website