Hillary Clinton 2016

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Could Hillary Rodham Clinton make a good President of the United States of America?
Yes!
39%
 39%  [19]
No!
60%
 60%  [29]
Total Votes : 48

Muslim-Bigfoot

Location: Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch

• Posted: 08/01/2015 02:54
  • Post subject:
Among graduates of science or science-realted stuff, doctors have the highest average of fucked-up opinions which don't align with the spirit of empiricism. This shows a deep cavity in their education which doesn't provide them with a deep understanding.

Link

ptaylor1989

United States

• Posted: 08/01/2015 03:21
  • Post subject:
Science doesn't equal Knowledge doesn't equal Morality
Revolution909

Ireland

• Posted: 08/01/2015 06:57
  • Post subject:
ptaylor1989 wrote:
Science doesn't equal Knowledge...

What?

Top 100 Music Albums of the 2010s
  • Visit poster's website
Revolution909

Ireland

• Posted: 08/01/2015 07:15
  • Post subject:
delete

Last edited by Revolution909 on 08/01/2015 07:28; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Revolution909

Ireland

• Posted: 08/01/2015 07:21
  • Post subject:
For me, when it comes to supporting Hillary (which to a certain extent, I do), I can overlook the scandals because:

1. Many Hillary scandals are blown out of all proportion by the Republicans. Republicans take an issue, whip up a frenzy of apocalyptic, frantic nonsense (like what is happening right now with Planned Parenthood) and then watch as the mud inevitably sticks. For Hillary, this has been happening since the 90s, with Benghazi being a recent example.

2. Hillary has views on a majority of issues that seem considerate, considered and frankly sane. More than can be said about the Republicans.

• Visit poster's website
Revolution909

Ireland

• Posted: 08/01/2015 07:24
  • Post subject:
RockyRaccoon wrote:

If you're interested more specifically into what he supports and doesn't support, look here

I'd also highly recommend that site for any of the candidates, not just Carson.

Like I said, I disagree with him for the most part (especially on LGBTQ issues, gun issues, among others), but there are a couple issues here and there where I'm like "You know, that's not awful"

-He's big onto protecting the environment
-He believes in getting America off of oil
-He does not believe in the automatic deportation of illegal immigrants
-He believes unions have a place in the US, isn't one of those unions = evil Republicans
-He doesn't believe in the Patriot Act
-He believes that the morality of the Iraq War was highly debatable (more than can be said for Jeb Bush)

Do I support the guy? No way, there are some things he believes in that are just way too nuts for me. But he's far from the worst of the candidates.

Cool website, thanks for the link!

Having compared Carson and Jeb!, I can concede that Carson is a person with better views generally. However, I feel the logic is along the lines of "well Mussolini wasn't too bad of a guy because Hitler was worse" which while it may be true to a certain degree, Mussolini was still detestable.

EDIT: I'm taken aback by how backward Jeb! is. He's supposed to be the moderate, reasoned GOPer in the fray this time around. Looooooool http://www.ontheissues.org/Jeb_Bush.htm

I suppose there's a difference between a person saying "Ben Carson isn't so bad" and "I will vote for Ben Carson" that I may have not discerned.

The take-home message: vote DEMOCRAT for sanity.

• Visit poster's website
Precedent

• Posted: 08/01/2015 22:03
  • Post subject:
Revolution909 wrote:
Not knowing much about Ben Carson, I sauntered on over to his Wikipedia page to educate myself.

I admire his pioneering work as a neurosurgeon, especially with him being the first to separate conjoined twins attached at the head. His life and his work in this regard will have a profound, life-saving and life-prolonging effect for many and he deserves credit for this. Such good work is a positive for a candidate seeking election to the White House, even if it isn't strictly political experience.

HOWEVER, I then look to his opinions on topics where I wholeheartedly and fundamentally disagree with him:

• On homosexuality, Carson believes it's a choice and that marriage is strictly between a man and a woman. As an LGBTQ person myself, such statements will automatically exclude a politician from getting my vote.

• Carson does not believe in evolution. This is breathtaking to me, with the exposure to scientific and medical education Carson has had throughout his life.

• Carson is against cannabis legalization and that cannabis smoking is hedonistic.

So at the end of the day, as much as one can "respect" a candidate and feel that they're a genuine "good" guy, when you get down to some of the substance of what Carson believes in, he's little better than his GOP competition. I have no time for Carson as a politician.

i'm cool with gay marriage, but i'm not really a LGBTQ person, so that doesn't really bother me

I don't really believe in evolution either, so that's a good thing

I'm straight edge so anything having to do with being against the legalization of cannabis is something that i welcome with open arms

and this doesn't have to do with this post, but i find the way you are expressing your opinion on people that disagree with you to be awfully patronizing.

does me being a conservative automatically mean i support taking away your rights? Not at all

There isn't a candidate that i completely agree with, but i'll go with who i agree with the most.

i like Carson's stance on abortion
i'm pro-capitalism, so of course i like his stance on that
his stances on crime are great and i love this "Equip police with body cameras to avoid abusiveness."
i like his views on gun control

at this point, that's more than i can say than any other candidate

and please, let's not make this a "precedent hates gays" thing because that's not true, i'm for gay marriage/rights, but it's not something that would make me vote for/against a candidate.
Revolution909

Ireland

• Posted: 08/01/2015 23:16
  • Post subject:
Precedent wrote:
and please, let's not make this a "precedent hates gays"

I won't. Smile

Precedent wrote:
does me being a conservative automatically mean i support taking away your rights? Not at all

Have I said that a person's own conservatism automatically makes them want to take away gay rights? I did not. Though one could be forgiven for thinking that when you look specifically at the GOP candidates, none of whom support gay marriage or abortion rights, to take two examples.

Precedent wrote:
and this doesn't have to do with this post, but i find the way you are expressing your opinion on people that disagree with you to be awfully patronizing.

I can't really comment on this without a specific example.

I'm not setting out to be antagonistic. You seem like a decent person, despite our disagreement over many issues. So yeah, I'm not here to start a fight or be insulting or dismissive of other people's opinions (unless they trollin' Laughing )

Last edited by Revolution909 on 08/01/2015 23:44; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
Revolution909

Ireland

• Posted: 08/01/2015 23:18
  • Post subject:
What's the story with American citizens who live abroad (I'm not one but I have a few friends living here in Galway who are) when it comes to voting?

They can vote in the Presidential election itself, but do they get to vote in primaries also?

• Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 08/02/2015 04:45
  • Post subject:
The thing that makes it so easy to lump conservatives with any array of bigots is that they often seem proud that what they're saying is homophobic/racist/misogynist. They act like they're the white-pride Radio Raheem or something, standing up against the "social justice police" for taking away their supposed right to hurt people over the past six years. If someone really was following Jesus, they'd try to take our earnest criticisms to heart and try to think of others' feelings before their own. If people lose respect for these basic rules of morality just because they're "politically correct", how can you possibly comprehend that lack of empathy?

Once again, there are a lot of Christians and conservatives I know who are genuinely kind-hearted people. But a political culture that praises such coldness is completely unhealthy for society.

That reminds me of how a lot of people talk about how these people will "take over" in 2016. Here's the thing: If you talk about there being a "power shift" to objectivist libertarianism coming soon, you only have given progressive culture about half a decade to thrive, while oppression against women and minorities has gone on for thousands of years. Then also remember that most of the 2000s were run by conservatives, and it almost becomes like saying the Renaissance was stopped by another Dark Age. It's not only a terrifying prediction to have for the world, but it's never really turned out this way in history. "Social justice" simply can't be a "fad" any more than the industrialization was. We can't just go back to being offensive towards minorities just because certain people don't like the effects.
  • Visit poster's website