SquishypuffKnave's User Listening Log (SKULL)

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 07/24/2014 13:47
  • Post subject: SquishypuffKnave's User Listening Log (SKULL)
Coming soon.
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 07/24/2014 16:47
  • Post subject:
I can see why you wouldn't want to call it Dave's User Listening Log.
  • Visit poster's website
Antonio-Pedro
Subspace Highway Traveler

Brazil

• Posted: 07/24/2014 18:16
  • Post subject: Re: SquishypuffKnave's User Listening Log (SKULL)
*high expectations*
*waiting for this the whole week*
*when finally thinks it will begin...*

SquishypuffDave wrote:
Coming soon.

still waiting for it though... sounds cool.
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 07/26/2014 01:33
  • Post subject:
I know I've been backed up for a long time, but I'm finally ready to dump my log.

This week I got a job at a call centre. My sales trainer is almost exactly like Matthew McConaughey in Wolf Of Wall Street. This technically makes me Leonardo DiCaprio in Wolf Of Wall Street. Ludes aren't involved yet, but I'll keep you updated.

Since it's full-time I haven't had a chance to listen to much music outside of what's on my mp3 playing device. I've been listening to a lot of Todd Terje, Bat For Lashes, Ling Tosite Sigure and Tune Yards.

Speaking of Tune Yards, last night I saw Tune Yards! They were exactly as amazing as I thought they'd be. They did things that shouldn't have been musically possible and made them look effortless. Merrill is an absolute machine. There were some pretty surreal hypnotic moments too; "Stop That Man" turned into a weird intense jam session where the backing singers walked to the front of stage and started screaming at the audience. Also major props to D.Dumbo, the support act. He had a beautiful huge Battles-esque sound, and just used a guitar, simple drum kit, and a couple of loop pedals.

Link

I'll keep you posted on my weekend listening activities.
  • Visit poster's website
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 07/26/2014 04:17
  • Post subject:
Listening to a couple of hip-hop recommendations. I consider myself a noob to the genre, so here are my uninformed readings of the text.

Mac Miller - Watching Movies With The Sound Off

Druggy, hypnagogic, a little bit beautiful. I'm really liking the production. Lyrics and flow are occasionally pretty great. Mac Miller definitely exceeded my expectations with this album. Works best as a moodsetter, I reckon.

Link

Ab-Soul & Jay Rock - Two Black Hippy

More of a solemn vibe here. Spitting truth. Classic style. Really really strong performances from everyone involved. Compiled from a few different sources, but it sits together really cohesively. Damn, Control is great. Definitely need to listen to more from these guys.
  • Visit poster's website
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 07/26/2014 04:42
  • Post subject:
Came across this clip.

Link

Will now proceed to listen to every single thing this man has done.
  • Visit poster's website
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 07/26/2014 14:24
  • Post subject:
I recognize that this ULL is lacking in #abstractqualities, but I'm not quite ready to start arguing with the voices in my head. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

I listened to a bunch of Hot Sugar EPs. They're really fun. Loads of different guest emcees and vocalists. Loads of different sounds, but all in the same joyful spirit. Line them up and you've got an amazing party playlist. Right now I'm just partying by myself though. Possible existential crisis on the horizon. I know how much you guys love sadcore.

P.S. You should check this thing in my sig. It's all creepy and atmospheric. Feedback is well appreciated.
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 07/27/2014 00:21
  • Post subject:
SquishypuffDave wrote:
I recognize that this ULL is lacking in #abstractqualities, but I'm not quite ready to start arguing with the voices in my head. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

I just never stop Razz

SquishypuffDave wrote:
P.S. You should check this thing in my sig. It's all creepy and atmospheric. Feedback is well appreciated.

OK I went in, tbh, with low expectations, just because game soundtracks rarely rarely wow me (with some good exceptions, but as a whole, seriously they're weak). I saw how short it was and went "oh god it's gonna be that." Then I listened.

It's seriously an awesome album. Like I'm coming back to this to listen to just as an album because I enjoyed it a fair amount, especially "Forest", "Town" (my personal favorite), and what I'm assuming is the game's main theme, "Project Decay". Wasn't huge on "Radiation" or "Military", there's something almost too bright about them in comparison to everything else, but this is honestly one of the better game soundtracks I've ever heard. You've been added to the select list of "people who can actually make good video game OSTs", alongside Inon Zur, Mikael Karlsson, David Housden, Ben Prunty, Grant Kirkhope, and Jeremey Soule. For all the games I've ever played, or whose soundtracks I've heard, there have only been 7 composers I've enjoyed listening to outside of the game. Now there are 8. Bravo Applause

PS I'd be absolutely giddy to do a collab with you if you'd ever be up for it.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 07/27/2014 00:25
  • Post subject:

I don't have enough good things to say about this album. It's like being haunted by a depressed ghost. A musical labyrinth of shame and confusion. Best ever sadcore.
  • Visit poster's website
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 07/27/2014 06:19
  • Post subject:
Went and shot part of a music video at the top of a skyscraper in the city. Might link the clip later in the year when it's done. I also went on a Broadcast binge. Because I love Broadcast. RIP Trish Keenan.

@BenPaco, thank you so much. What kind of collab would such a collab be, out of interest? Also I'll explore some of those composers you listed, I'm not familiar with a few of them.
  • Visit poster's website