Music Appreciation Class

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
eyezayzay

United States

• Posted: 07/28/2014 04:47
  • Post subject: Music Appreciation Class
Do you guys think this would be a good class to take in order to refine my music listening skills?

http://www.bellevuecollege.edu/classes/All/MUSC%26/105
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 07/28/2014 05:20
  • Post subject:
hell spend enough time on the forums and we can give you that for free
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 07/28/2014 05:39
  • Post subject:
I took a class like that in college, it was easy and pretty good. You'll learn more about classical music most likely, which is good to know. Every college does music appreciation differently. Most focus on classical and where they go from the post-classical era is where it varies. Some will end with Stravinsky and the composers of the early 20th century, some will go so far as more avant-garde stuff (my brother took a music appreciation class that actually delved into John Cage). It's worth taking if you've got the time.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
eyezayzay

United States

• Posted: 07/28/2014 06:29
  • Post subject:
It's an online course and my work pays for my schooling, so I figured I'd do it just cause along with my tech classes.
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 07/28/2014 09:45
  • Post subject:
The course sounds interesting, but it also seems a tad... aloof maybe? To me, music is one of those 'art forms' that is just best enjoyed as one of the simple pleasures of life - like a homecooked meal, an evening run or watching my favourite comedian. It's best when you can just kick back and enjoy it for what it is you hear and what you take away from hearing it - I don't think you need to take a class to 'appreciate' music anymore than you do now, heck you shouldn't need a class to appreciate anything. As soon as you start feeling like you should appreciate music more because you are able to "Identify the elements of music and how composers use them in the creation of music", I feel like you're turning it into a science.

Also this made me laugh: "Demonstrate knowledge of the skills and activities that can make concert going experience more meaningful" - as though seeing your hero on stage playing the songs that have soundtracked your life the past few years isn't meaningful enough until you have a certain set of skills? I can picture someone taking this course and going to a festival with his mates and assuming he's having the most meaningful experience over his uneducated friends. As far as I'm concerned, 90% of live performances isn't about the music, it's about sharing a space with thousands of people who are passionate about the same thing you are.
NickVolos
Segnahc Reve4

Location: Land of the Argonauts, Centaurs and other such creatures
Greece

• Posted: 07/28/2014 11:06
  • Post subject:
Go for it!
For worship, being born among these trees?"
  • Visit poster's website
RepoMan

• Posted: 07/28/2014 15:17
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
The course sounds interesting, but it also seems a tad... aloof maybe? To me, music is one of those 'art forms' that is just best enjoyed as one of the simple pleasures of life - like a homecooked meal, an evening run or watching my favourite comedian. It's best when you can just kick back and enjoy it for what it is you hear and what you take away from hearing it - I don't think you need to take a class to 'appreciate' music anymore than you do now, heck you shouldn't need a class to appreciate anything. As soon as you start feeling like you should appreciate music more because you are able to "Identify the elements of music and how composers use them in the creation of music", I feel like you're turning it into a science.

Also this made me laugh: "Demonstrate knowledge of the skills and activities that can make concert going experience more meaningful" - as though seeing your hero on stage playing the songs that have soundtracked your life the past few years isn't meaningful enough until you have a certain set of skills? I can picture someone taking this course and going to a festival with his mates and assuming he's having the most meaningful experience over his uneducated friends. As far as I'm concerned, 90% of live performances isn't about the music, it's about sharing a space with thousands of people who are passionate about the same thing you are.

First off, I just always love the way you write, Puncture! Excellent points all around. And yeah, most learning objectives for pretty much any course often make me laugh. i'm pretty sure they make the instructors laugh too!!! The things we're forced to churn out sometimes. LOL.

Anyways, I've never taken a music appreciation class before, but I do know that taking english lit and art history classes have certainly helped me appreciate those two art forms more. I can't see why music would be any different. It's been my experience that the more I know about something or the better I am at something (which usually entails practice and hence learning), the more I end up enjoying that particular activity.
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 07/28/2014 16:00
  • Post subject:
RepoMan wrote:
Anyways, I've never taken a music appreciation class before, but I do know that taking english lit and art history classes have certainly helped me appreciate those two art forms more. I can't see why music would be any different. It's been my experience that the more I know about something or the better I am at something (which usually entails practice and hence learning), the more I end up enjoying that particular activity.

I can totally see that. In reality it isn't much different from a class in English Literature, where the primary goal is to understand (and therefore appreciate) acclaimed writing. Maybe it's because of the way it's titled, since Art classes aren't called 'Art Appreciation', it's just Art. Wanting to learn how to 'appreciate' something just seems off to me - I'm sure there's plenty of people who can appreciate a great painting for the colours, design, composure and so on, without having taking an art class - they just might not be able to articulate why they enjoy that particular piece. A class in appreciation almost seems like it's telling you what you are and are not allowed to appreciate, by pinpointing what makes a certain piece of music more appreciable, which just isn't the spirit of music or art. If you want to understand music more, and understand why you appreciate certain music, I think learning an instrument is a better option.

Honestly, I think the history side of this course seems very interesting, and worthwhile.
NowhereMan

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/28/2014 16:00
  • Post subject:
Go for it if you want yeah; it'd be interesting.

But I mainly agree with what has been said in a previous post; that music is there to be enjoyed, not dismantled. I feel that could take away some of the magic. Also that you may find yourself listening to a work that is considered something to be enjoyed but for you it simply isn't your sort of thing.

I, personally, would go for a more specific course; I know Liverpool universities do a course focused on the impact of The Beatles.

#1-#100 https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=3641

#101-#200 https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=49444

Check Me Out! Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 07/28/2014 16:09
  • Post subject:
RepoMan wrote:

^
  • Visit poster's website