Favourite and Least Favourite Genre

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Graeme2

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/02/2014 09:11
  • Post subject:
revolver94 wrote:
I'd have to say art pop for favorite, most of my top shit could be described as that

least favorite is def prog rock. so gross.

You sound like an NME writer circa 1990's who perpetuated that kind of myth due to coming of age in the punk era. However it is a myth. Just like on TV whenever prog is mentioned cue the most wig out music of ELP over picture of rick wakeman in cloak with 30 synths in a 360, the the 3 ELP trucks driving over the desert. This is what a lot think about prog and it is wrong. Famously Kurt cobains favourite lp was red by king crimson and one of Lydons favourite bands was van der GraaF generator. So even 2 of the biggest names in punk loved prog. Also anyone who likes Krautrock, it's prog. Especially can.
  • Visit poster's website
revolver94
professional dilettante

United States

• Posted: 08/02/2014 13:32
  • Post subject:
NowhereMan wrote:
Even Pink Floyd, Genesis, King Crimson?

Yep, yep, and yep! Sry d00d I'm just not a fan.

Graeme2 wrote:
You sound like an NME writer circa 1990's who perpetuated that kind of myth due to coming of age in the punk era. However it is a myth. Just like on TV whenever prog is mentioned cue the most wig out music of ELP over picture of rick wakeman in cloak with 30 synths in a 360, the the 3 ELP trucks driving over the desert. This is what a lot think about prog and it is wrong. Famously Kurt cobains favourite lp was red by king crimson and one of Lydons favourite bands was van der GraaF generator. So even 2 of the biggest names in punk loved prog. Also anyone who likes Krautrock, it's prog. Especially can.

Andddd wow big response there, I mean I'm really just not too big into the stylistic choices that normally come with prog. A lil masturbatory, y'know? Not just elp. I'm allowed to dislike prog without being ignorant. I don't doubt people like cobain were into it, and probably a bunch of other artists I like.

Altho I do love can so if you're counting that then I guess I do like some prog.

P.s. - not huge on punk either

Last.fm
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 08/02/2014 14:05
  • Post subject:
Yeah, prog is in my least favorites too, with some exceptions. I can't think of any genre I dislike uniformly, but symphonic prog is one of those where even the classics tend to get my goat. Also, new wave, hair metal, mainstream country (if that counts), and nu metal.

Some favorites:

Dub
Neo-soul
Outlaw country
Post-bop
Cool jazz
Psychedelic rock

All genres are hit-or-miss, of course.
Precedent

• Posted: 08/02/2014 14:55
  • Post subject:
Graeme2 wrote:

bruh, LP*
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 08/02/2014 17:28
  • Post subject:
revolver94 wrote:
A lil masturbatory, y'know?

I get this, and I'm a fan of prog. However, I feel the same way about Fionna Apple and Joanna Newsom, who you're a big fan of. Sometimes, artists write stuff that sounds like they're all about showing off how awesome they are or whatnot, but I think that in the end, most of them are really just trying to have fun. As a guitarist, I tend to assume it's the latter.

And if it is masturbatory, y'know, it's not necessarily a bad thing anyway Wink
NowhereMan

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/02/2014 18:34
  • Post subject:
revolver94 wrote:
Andddd wow big response there, I mean I'm really just not too big into the stylistic choices that normally come with prog. A lil masturbatory, y'know? Not just elp. I'm allowed to dislike prog without being ignorant. I don't doubt people like cobain were into it, and probably a bunch of other artists I like.

Altho I do love can so if you're counting that then I guess I do like some prog.

Fair. I just would not of expected this.

#1-#100 https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=3641

#101-#200 https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=49444

Check Me Out! Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
WindowAbove

United States

• Posted: 08/02/2014 21:08
  • Post subject:
Favorite: Hip hop
Least favorite: classic rock/ radio hard/alt rock
  • Visit poster's website
revolver94
professional dilettante

United States

• Posted: 08/03/2014 03:31
  • Post subject:
nicklas wrote:
I get this, and I'm a fan of prog. However, I feel the same way about Fionna Apple and Joanna Newsom, who you're a big fan of. Sometimes, artists write stuff that sounds like they're all about showing off how awesome they are or whatnot, but I think that in the end, most of them are really just trying to have fun. As a guitarist, I tend to assume it's the latter.

And if it is masturbatory, y'know, it's not necessarily a bad thing anyway Wink

I can definitely agree with you here, or else it'd be really hard to enjoy everything

and yeah, not necessarily a bad thing at all Wink

Last.fm
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Graeme2

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/03/2014 07:28
  • Post subject:
revolver94 wrote:

Wasn't trying to have a go at you, just the attitude that some people have towards it may be misguided based on the way it's been portrayed in the media for many years.
  • Visit poster's website
revolver94
professional dilettante

United States

• Posted: 08/03/2014 14:11
  • Post subject:
Graeme2 wrote:
Wasn't trying to have a go at you, just the attitude that some people have towards it may be misguided based on the way it's been portrayed in the media for many years.

u good, always welcome people challenging how i think

Last.fm
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website