Is cultural diversity a criterion for chart quality?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Holdenandthejets

• Posted: 08/25/2014 22:18
  • Post subject: Is cultural diversity a criterion for chart quality?
I've seen multiple comments here on BEA (and one on my chart) about how some people's charts need "more black artists" or things of that sort. I found this rather offensive because it seems to heavily imply that the chart-maker is racist for not having more artists of a specific race. Any thoughts?
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 08/25/2014 22:27
  • Post subject:
I've made this sort of comment before, but I fully regret doing so and would never do it again. People will like what they will like. However, I'm drunk as fuck and I can't put into words exactly what I want to say, but I'll be back here to elaborate. But sorry to anybody who has ever been on the receiving end of one of my "not enough black music" comments.
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Post subject:
It doesn't imply the maker is "racist", it implies their exposure has marked a narrow mindset that for some reason ignored a huge facet of cultural music. If I mention that the chart is lacking diversity it is because it is lacking diversity (whether it be jazz, soul, or whatever) and that's the end of the comment. Sometimes people need a good eye-opener to realize that they've been stuck in traditional rock canon or alternative music scene canon or whatever which makes them actually pursue branching out. God knows if a peer told me I was only watching old english language films it would make me feel self-conscious and I would instead of arguing about it pursue other avenues due to that comment because hey maybe I have been ignoring foreign films from the period of film I love. It's just a kick in the pants to get them gearing. But if you want to feel so overtly that "people are out to call you a racist" then whatever. What point does it make to imply that? It makes no sense.

Blah blah blah.

See my point or don't. Up to you.

Last edited by mickilennial on 08/25/2014 22:30; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
Goodsir

• Post subject:
Not necessarily, but it's always good to get a taste of different cultures in music. I don't think the people saying that are trying to say you are racist, just uncultured as far as music listening goes.
Holdenandthejets

• Posted: 08/25/2014 22:30
  • Post subject:
Gowienczyk wrote:
If I mention that the chart is lacking diversity it is because it is lacking diversity (whether it be jazz, soul, or whatever) and that's the end of the comment.

It's quite different to say "your chart is lacking musical diversity" than to say "your chart needs more black artists." I don't think the two things are comparable. The race of the artist shouldn't even come into play.
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 08/25/2014 22:31
  • Post subject:
Holdenandthejets wrote:
It's quite different to say "your chart is lacking musical diversity" than to say "your chart needs more black artists." I don't think the two things are comparable. The race of the artist shouldn't even come into play.

It is comparable. It is just said in a different way, some people don't mince words. The fact of the matter that black artists represent a huge swath of musical culture and if they aren't represented in the slightest it is plainly obvious.
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 08/25/2014 22:34
  • Post subject:
Racial diversity is a really silly criterion to use to judge a chart. Yes, it can often indicate a lack of musical diversity, but focusing on race makes it seem like some kind of attempt at musical affirmative action, which is absurd.

Of course, I'm not too big on rating charts to begin with, so you know, whatever.
Holdenandthejets

• Posted: 08/25/2014 22:35
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
Racial diversity is a really silly criterion to use to judge a chart. Yes, it can often indicate a lack of musical diversity, but focusing on race makes it seem like some kind of attempt at musical affirmative action, which is absurd.

Of course, I'm not too big on rating charts to begin with, so you know, whatever.

Everything about this is perfect.
Goodsir

• Posted: 08/25/2014 22:39
  • Post subject:
Oh, and I wouldn't take comments like that so seriously. You should just listen to whatever you want and put your favorite albums on your chart. That's what the site is for, after all. But trying to become more cultured is always a good thing. Here, try this. I think you might like it.
Holdenandthejets

• Posted: 08/25/2014 22:40
  • Post subject:
Goodsir wrote:
. Here, try this. I think you might like it.

Thanks!