2009 vs 2010? 2009 wins hands down.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Which was the better year in music?
22%
 22%  [4]
66%
 66%  [12]
Prefer neither/ Too evenly matched
11%
 11%  [2]
Total Votes : 18

Kiki

• Posted: 11/21/2010 18:22
  • Post subject: 2009 vs 2010? 2009 wins hands down.
Rather going into explanations first I'll come right out and say it, I think 2009 had much better albums than 2010. 2009 beats 2010 on both quality (how high the albums will rate on my overall chart) and quantity (amount of good albums).

Out of the top 20 of 2009 there are much more albums to keep in collection than 2010. For 2010 there is Plastic Beach and Broken Bells, maybe even Archandroid but that is one I will have to explore much more before it stays on the mp3. I still have to listen to the album which is ominously perched at the top of 2010 too but I hope I can get that one in the sale after Christmas. I could name at least 10 albums I would rate 6/10 or higher from 2009.

Standout tracks... well 2009 outright demolishes 2010 for me. My Girls, Uprising, Magnificent, Be Calm, Sea Within a Sea, 21st Century Breakdown, Williams Last Words, Actor Out Of Work. Lots of albums had a great track even when the rest wasn't up to scratch. With 2010, everything seems an even level of terrible, boring or alright. Apart from a song by The National which sung about a war from a solders perspective (Really good I might add, although I've banned myself getting albums based on one song) nothing stands out in albums by artists I didn't love before the year. The only new discovery I made from this site regarding 2010 was She & Him.

From an objective stance, the top 20 of 2009 is comprised of much more high selling artists. Forgetting the debuts, most of the artists present have had a platinum album some point in their career. 2010 on the other hand has plenty of artists that I suspect have not sold 6 figure numbers ever. While there are your current cult artists like LCD Soundsystem, Arcade Fire and The National who have sold their fair share, 11-20 quickly becomes "who..." territory with many artists I had never heard of in the last decade. Did the fact that most were more seasoned songwriters help? More in line with my tastes? Maybe.

As I wrote this I couldn't help but think of 1990's position on this site. Take a look at the ratings of albums there. It seems to be the year most of us forgot. Will 2010 have a similar fate in the long run. More importantly will 2011 and 2012 mirror 1991 and 1992 and give us a multitude of highly acclaimed albums in many genres? Smile We can only hope.

But back to the original question. Which was the best year for music out of 2009 and 2010?

Finally, if there are some very important releases next month do let us know.
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 11/21/2010 18:44
  • Post subject:
Very good point, Outlaw. I personally prefer 2009 myself, but this year is still leagues better than 2008.

Good 2009 albums:
Asa-Asa
The Beatles Remasters-The Beatles
Merriweather Post Pavilion-Animal Collective
Cage the Elephant-Cage the Elephant
The Book of Abysmality-Charlie N. George
Horehound-The Dead Weather
Sing-Along Songs-Diablo Swing Orchestra
Music for Men-Gossip
Crack the Skye-Mastodon
Endgame-Megadeth
A Matter of Time-Mike Posner
Tori Amos-Abnormally Attracted to Sin
Miley Cyrus-The Time of Our Lives
It's Frightening-The White Rabbits
The XX-The XX
It's Blitz-Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Good 2010 Albums:
Speak Now-Taylor Swift
Can't Be Tamed-Miley Cyrus
A View From the End of the World-Machinae Supremacy
Teen Dream-Beach House
The Archandroid-Janelle Monae
The Suburbs-Arcade Fire
Charlie N. George-Charlie N. George
Sea of Cowards-The Dead Weather
Christmas Time-Gospel Light
Sonquest Rainforest-Gospel Light
A Drowning-How to Destroy Angels
The Final Frontier-Iron Maiden
  • Visit poster's website
cartoken
The Seer

France

• Posted: 11/21/2010 20:32
  • Post subject:
for me 2010 is better, except that the best album so far from both years is from 2009 : Merriweather Post Pavilion.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 11/21/2010 21:10
  • Post subject:
In 2010's defense should be said that it isn't over yet, but so far 2010 is the worst year since 2001. I have yet only found 3* keepers from 2010, compared to 11 from 2009, and there is not yet one single album from 2010 that should be considered brilliant.

*I may reconsider on The Black Keys' Brothers which would make it 4.
  • Visit poster's website
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 11/22/2010 04:21
  • Post subject:
I think it's funny that this is supposed to be a poll and yet the title of the thread tells us what we're supposed to think ahead of time.

Razz
  • Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 11/22/2010 05:02
  • Post subject:
Great Albums from 2010:
Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti- Before Today
LCD Soundsystem- This Is Happening
Flying Lotus- Cosmogramma
Vampire Weekend- Contra
Beach House- Teen Dream
Deerhunter- Halcyon Digest
Big Boi- Sir Lucious Left Foot...
Arcade Fire- The Suburbs

obviously we will only know if they're worth remembering in ten years if we remember them in ten years, but it's looking like a good year. Also, Kanye and Daft Punk still have albums coming out.

The only albums I still listen to from 2009 are xx, Merriweather Post Pavillion, Veckatimest, and Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix.

Also, to Bork, 2001 was a good year for music, here's some albums that are still very fresh today:
White Stripes- White Blood Cells
The Strokes- Is This It
Jay-Z- The Blueprint
Daft Punk- Discovery
Radiohead- Amnesiac

though admittedly, it was sandwiched by two truly phenomenal years for music
thomas697

Australia

• Posted: 11/22/2010 05:20
  • Post subject:
2009 was the better year for sure. But Teen Dream is the best albums from either year. Comparing the two years I'd say

1. Teen Dream
2. xx
3. Merriweather
4. Veckatamist
5. Plastic Beach
Wombi

• Posted: 11/22/2010 11:41
  • Post subject:
well after my vote 2010 is winning. And looking at the albums released this year I can tell. 2009 was a good year, but the sheer volume of great albums coming out and the sheer volume of good new artists coming out have made 2010 a brilliant year for music I think. I've listened to so many albums i actually think I'm going to make a chart for it and it will be hard to cut down to 50. I haven't even listened to My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy yet (going to buy it) so i'm sure after i've heard that 2010 will certainly be a year to remember.
Kiki

• Posted: 11/22/2010 15:48
  • Post subject:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
I think it's funny that this is supposed to be a poll and yet the title of the thread tells us what we're supposed to think ahead of time.

Razz

I have strong feeling you're just saying that to get a reaction but to hell with it. When I was writing this I was going to use the phase "in my own opinion". But then I remembered that it was looked down upon by many users, in particular by you. So rather than having Mr Shankly say how it is unnecessary to say "in my own opinion" when discussing on here, I decided to go right ahead and choose to write it this way.
CellarDoor
Shoe-Punk Loner

France

• Posted: 11/22/2010 21:09
  • Post subject:
2010 was delicious.

Though I would agree that after one year (and many questioning in last year's posts), MPP has secured a good spot for a cult album, whose influence can already be felt on other artists. Hope Animal Collective won't start to disappoint too soon.

Also, in 10 years time, people will probably dig up this amazing (but obscure) album by the talented Sufjan Stevens, and wonder why such a treat doesn't show up anywhere.

• Visit poster's website