Genre Extravaganza: Poll on Genre Breadth

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: What should the scope/breadth of the GE threads be?
Broad (I like to see subgenres bleed into each other, man. It's all about evolution)
43%
 43%  [10]
Narrow (bite size morsels, please)
56%
 56%  [13]
Total Votes : 23

RepoMan

• Posted: 09/03/2014 03:28
  • Post subject: Genre Extravaganza: Poll on Genre Breadth
Genre Breadth

Ok, seems like the general consensus has shifted in favor of narrowing the scope of these Genre Extravaganza threads.

However, considering this is different from the general consensus we got last time we discussed this, I'd like to open up discussion on the matter & put it to a vote. Yeah for democracy!

Discuss and vote.

I'll start...

While I'm in favor of narrowing the scope of certain genres like Indie Pop and Punk, I am afraid that with websites like RYM and /mu/ perhaps there are almost too many (sub)genres out there which is only confusing the issue and taking us away from the main point - providing a platform to discover, recommend and discuss kick ass albums.

Note: If we choose to go for the the more narrow route, I'll launch another poll in a couple of days to decide which subgenre we wish to tackle for whatever genre wins this particular poll.

For instance just as an example, if punk rock was selected, I'd launch another poll to decide if we wanted to tackle

1. Anarcho Punk
2. Hardcore
3. Pop Punk
4. Proto-Punk
5. 70s NYC Punk
6. 70s UK Punk
7. California Punk ( Razz )
etc...

We could do something similar for any of the genres that end up winning today.
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 09/03/2014 03:53
  • Post subject:
Break that shot doooooown duuuuiudes!!!!!

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 09/03/2014 04:19
  • Post subject: Re: Genre Extravaganza: Poll on Genre Breadth
RepoMan wrote:
California Punk ( Razz )

I could contribute considerably to a thread dedicated to greater LA punk. Yesterday was my gf's bday (and one of her very favorite bands is X, and she's somewhat familiar with the scene's music), so I gave her a copy of We Got the Neutron Bomb, a first edition of X's "White Girl"/"Your Phone's Off the Hook" 7", and a first edition of Slash Magazine's issue #1 (if that proves any credentials on how familiar I am with the scene).

Very sorry for my delay on the post-rock post. I've got a new computer and am re-writing what I had, more or less, and will PM happymeal when I'm ready again.
rayword45

United States

• Posted: 09/03/2014 05:49
  • Post subject:
I voted narrow but I'd prefer if it was subgenres that weren't based upon location. Exceptions could be things like Britpop and East/West Coast Hip-Hop since those are very well defined as subgenres and Britpop is actually not just "British Pop". Shit like 70s NYC Punk, Ohio Indie Rock and Washington Twee Pop, that's overkill.
  • Visit poster's website
NowhereMan

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/03/2014 09:47
  • Post subject:
Narrow it down and keep everything concise, you guys all know I sort of hate all this sub-heading of genres which confuses listeners and therefore can lead to confusing and mis-leading discussions when attempting to discuss certain genres.

#1-#100 https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=3641

#101-#200 https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=49444

Check Me Out! Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
Revolution909

Ireland

• Posted: 09/03/2014 10:23
  • Post subject:
Genres like House/Techno are, in my humble opinion at least, too big to be dealt with as one meta-genre. An idea of the wide range of musical styles covered by those terms, see here and here.

No I'm not necessarily advocating that each sub-genre of House and Techno gets dissected at great length (although I would not object Laughing ) but that perhaps House and Techno could be dealt with separately.

Then again, this is all coming from a novice of musical genres. If a more knowledgeable someone (especially the people putting together Genre Extravaganza threads) feels that House/Techno can be easily/concisely summarised as one, who am I to disagree?

So yeah, these are my justifications for voting for the latter choice, namely Narrow.

Can't wait to see what you guys come up with, regardless of genre or sub-genre. Keep up the good work. Smile

Top 100 Music Albums of the 2010s
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 09/03/2014 13:52
  • Post subject:
Somewhere in the middle. We shouldn’t focus entirely on “locales” (ie: british punk, californian punk, etc.) since that subverts us to be all the too brief. Sub-genres and musical movements (such as say emotive hardcore or canterbury scene as examples) should be what we are looking to discuss. Even sub-genre styles can focus on bits of the movements and impact which I showed albeit a bit briefly with my Stoner Rock thread as I transitioned into Stoner Doom.
  • Visit poster's website
eyezayzay

United States

• Posted: 09/03/2014 15:27
  • Post subject:
This is a little difficult, I agree with Gowi in that you don't want to make it too small that there isn't enough content. But I also think picking something like "Hip Hop" would be impossible.

However, if someone was up to the challenge, there could be overarching genres and then the person can go into detail about how those broad genres broke off into some of the sub-genres.

Regardless, I think any of this will be insightful.

RE: Punk, I know those were only examples but don't forget the riot grrrl scene. Spawned out of Olympia, WA! and it's very important (Sleater-Kinney)
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 09/03/2014 15:59
  • Post subject:
I think we should also vote on how many artists should be discussed in any genre extravaganza thread. And how many people should be allowed to react. And then how many tracks by a single artist are allowed a quote.
  • Visit poster's website
WindowAbove

United States

• Posted: 09/03/2014 16:33
  • Post subject:
Medium-Narrow
  • Visit poster's website