Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/13/2014 12:10
  • Post subject: BEA ULL - noWaxJim
Howdy folks

So it would seem that I'm up for this User Listening Log thing over the next week. You poor sods, having to read through pages and pages of reggae albums. Maybe I'll try to be a little more experimental as regards what I listen to over the next week and perhaps even entertain delving into Chumbawamba's back catalogue if you're lucky.

Anyway, let's get the ball rolling...

I've just got back from holiday - this time yesterday I was in the Canaries and lazing around in the sunshine. Now back to work in Blighty and the weather is complete gash. Driving between offices (as is my job) my first port of call is to meet two new lads who've just started with the company. As I always do with any new staff (and indeed in interviews), I ask what music they're into. New lad called Jamie instantly says 'reggae and dub'. Well you can imagine, dear reader, how the conversation went after this... we exchanged a few pleasantries, found some common ground (Tubby, Scratch) then he went onto mention The Twinkle Brothers - whom I'll be delving into a little later. In return, I recommended him this, courtesy of Satiemaniac (and one of my current fave reggae LPs)...

Showcase by Junior Delahaye

Wackies albums in general have their own style - dry, echo-heavy. Junior's voice soars over these 6 tracks - it's an understated early 80s reggae gem that all skankers should make a bee-line for (as well as Bubble Up by Wayne Jarrett and Horace Andy's Dancehall Style - both from the same stable).

Going for a drive now... and to keep me company on the journey we have...

London Zoo by The Bug

Followed by...

...a collection of 'deathrock', whatever that is.

Stay tuned for more bollocks coming later...
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/13/2014 21:14
  • Post subject: Re: BEA ULL - noWaxJim
noWaxJim wrote:
Going for a drive now... and to keep me company on the journey we have...

London Zoo by The Bug

I heard this first a while back, perhaps when it first got released - can't quite remember. Anyway, after being reminded of it last night during a plug.dj session I thought I'd dig it out again. Hell, it's such a fantastic record to listen to through a set of decent cans, but the tinny stereo on a Toyota Prius does it no justice whatsoever. And just how versatile is Tippe Irie? I still think his finest hour is his "Complain Neighbour"-mid 80s period. Perhaps Britain's finest reggae artist - 30 years and still going strong (c.f. the Congo Natty LP).

noWaxJim wrote:
Followed by...

...a collection of 'deathrock', whatever that is

So it turns out 'deathrock' is punk fascinated with slasher films and sci-fi. Not that it makes the slightest bit of difference here, as the majority of the tracks on this 1981 compy sound like Dead Kennedys knock-offs made by bratty teenagers whose Aunt Marjorie bought them a Strat copy for their birthday. The female-led tracks are the best - Legal Weapon's "Daddy's Gone Mad" sounds like punk meets the Shangri-Las, and all 3 45 Grave tracks are the soundtrack to Tony Hawk's Pro Skater if it had been made in the early 80s. Bar these it's the bubblegum hardcore tracks by The Conservatives that got me disobeying more than one 20mph zone on the way to Maidenhead.

The way home was filled with happy thoughts of seeing my boy - I collect him from my sister-in-law's where he spends most of his days playing with toy fire engines. As today was the first day I'd been apart from him for nearly two weeks (due to holiday), there was only one album I could possibly let fill my ears for the 40 minute car ride through shitty rain...

Sing For Very Important People by The Free Design

Aside from the fact that Bubbles was the basis for virtually everything Stereolab ever did, I defy anyone reading this who's a parent not to feel at least one shred of sentiment or emotion listening to half the tracks on this record. It's as much an affirmation of the joys of childhood as much as the love you feel inside for being a Mom or Pop - and to me the only song (let along record) that comes anywhere as close is "When A Man Needs A Woman" by The Beach Boys off the much-forgotten Friends LP. Oddly enough my copy of SFVIP is sped up a little, a result of some rather dodgy vinyl ripping, but in actual fact making tracks like Children's Waltz sound just that little bit better for it. Most strange...

That's it for today. I've decided to watch The Royal Tenenbaums for the umpeenth time instead of listening to anything tonight, partly as the wife's stuck in traffic and I've got to keep an ear out for the boy. May listen to something in bed - if I do, you'll find out what tomorrow. Stay tuned y'all.
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/13/2014 21:20
  • Post subject:
Actually - scrap that, it's not all for today, as I have just listened to about 10 minutes of this...

Bestial Burden by Pharmakon

What a pile of wank (although the title track ain't too bad - she sounds like Poly Styrene singing from the bottom of a well).
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 10/13/2014 22:27
  • Post subject:
noWaxJim wrote:
Actually - scrap that, it's not all for today, as I have just listened to about 10 minutes of this...

Bestial Burden by Pharmakon

What a pile of wank (although the title track ain't too bad - she sounds like Poly Styrene singing from the bottom of a well).

Haven't heard this one. but the last was god awful.
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/14/2014 20:27
  • Post subject:
Day 2

Wake up to the sound of the blasted Peppa Pig theme tune - Mrs. noWax has decided to put on the porcine-related cartoon to keep nipper noWax busy whilst we're getting ready for work. A long drive to Hertfordshire awaits, which means negotiating the godamawful M25 for the first time in 2 weeks. Still, gives me plenty of time to check out a couple of 2014 releases which I've heard about through my favourite blog...

Cancers - Fatten The Leeches

Another 90s alt-rock copycat act, this time from Athens, GA. Sounding in parts like Veruca Salt (remember them?), with plenty of pitch-shift and a fair bit of grunt. Thanks to a couple of accidents between Heathrow and Uxbridge I spend the best part of the early morning rush hour with this album, and on first listen it's pretty good stuff. Very instant, no surprises, but not bad all the same. Let's try another...

Joyride! - Bodies Of Water

Found on Bandcamp, this album has already got me interested as: 1. there's an exclamation mark in their band name (c.f. This Poison!) and 2. the first track sounds like a punked up All Girl Summer Fun Band - never a bad thing. The first two tracks rattle off rather nicely, but then it's indie-lite pop-punk all the way through. Far too samey, it's coming straight off the iPhone when I get home...

Then comes work. Not much opportunity to listen to many albums here, so instead I spend my day singing along to whatever ringtone the office girls have on their mobile/cell. One of them is "Don't Worry, Be Happy" by Bobby McFerrin. Tell my (made up) anecdote about how Bobby McF was a manic depressive and actually committed suicide not long after said single was released. They fall for it hook, line and sinker until one of them looks it up on Wikipeida. Rumbled.

The album I picked to listen to for my return trip on The Road To Hell may surprise a couple...

Led Zeppelin IV by Led Zeppelin

For some reason, I'd already pre-determined during the course of the day that I wanted to listen to Led Zep on the way home for the first time in ages. Can't put my finger on why, although The Battle of Evermore had popped in my head earlier whilst I was on the bog. No point me going over this as the majority of you reading this will have doubtlessly heard this a zillion times over, but let it be said that there's more to this indie-pop reggae nut than you may realise.

A couple more LPs to update this with before I turn in... TTFN
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/14/2014 21:27
  • Post subject:
I've spent most of the last hour doing an on-line shop and listening to snippets of this amazing compy which unfortunately isn't out for a while yet. Soul Jazz can do no wrong...
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/14/2014 22:17
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
Haven't heard this one. but the last was god awful.

At least the last one had a cool album cover. This one is just unpleasant... Kinda like the music they make.

I didn't enjoy their (his? her?) last effort, and I can't see myself even bothering with this one.

On another note, excited to read this ULL Very Happy That Joyride! album seems to be my first peak of interest in what will be a good week for discoveries. Will check that out.
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/14/2014 22:33
  • Post subject:
...and to end tonight's listening pleasure we have the gorgeously titled...

I played a track off this on plug.dj one night and someone (Norm I think) asked me about it. Well this LP is nothing short of a raucous, slapdash, fuck-up mess of a record. The Electric Eels were an early US punk band (with the occasional violin!) from Cleveland - this LP is pretty much everything they ever did, mostly demos but with a couple of single releases thrown in. There's some absolute shit on it, but the nuggets are so amazing that they'd rip your ears off given half the chance. Picks - "Agitated", "Cyclotron", "Tidal Wave". Best LP of the day, by a country mile - in spite of the fact it's gonna give me nightmares. Bon nuit mes amis...
  • Visit poster's website
AlexZangari

United States

• Posted: 10/15/2014 05:35
  • Post subject: Re: BEA ULL - noWaxJim
noWaxJim wrote:
Dead Kennedys knock-offs made by bratty teenagers whose Aunt Marjorie bought them a Strat copy for their birthday.

Choice name for a hypothetical aunt. Loving your commentaries, even when I haven't heard the record. Laughing
Jimmy Dread

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/15/2014 19:27
  • Post subject:
Day 3

Only a short sojourn to the local office today, so not much chance to indulge in anything apart from travel news telling me how the A3 is clogged up again and how people are going to miss their flights from Gatwick as they've decided to butcher the M23 for God knows how long. So it's not until mid-morning I dip head-first into my first album on the way to the Maidenhead office (again - this time as half the bloody office staff have decided to go on a bunk. Either that or they died of boredom at a recent Ed Sheeran 'concert' at the O2)...

Rolling Stones et al - Rock & Roll Circus

Amazed for starters this album isn't on the database... anyway, for those not familiar, this 'happening' was recorded for TV transmission in 1968, but never saw the light of day as Jagger thought The Who completely pissed all over The Stones (which they did - the version of A Quick One... present here is stellar, despite Townsend knocking Moon's tom-tom mic over about a minute in). I remember first listening to this via my good friend, fellow college radio DJ and erstwhile Welsh wunderkid Eilir back in the late 90s. So why today? Well, occasionally little snippets of audio pop in my head, almost like an acid flashback without all the fuss. Today, it was the line "you've read my file" from Lennon/Jagger's preamble to Yer Blues. Well worth trying to watch the film version too, if only for how fucked everyone - audience, artists and Yoko in her bag - looks.

Just enough time after skipping all the Stones tracks to listen to this before getting to the office...

Jack Orion by Bert Jansch

When I first bought this album, I HONESTLY thought it was called Jack Onion (c.f. the cover). Nevertheless, I've been listening to a lot of Bert recently, sparked mainly by my backing of him for the Greatest Ever Guitarist Tourney. Most of the tracks here are folk standards, but re-interpreted magnificently through Bert (and indeed John Renbourn's) fret work. A perfect accompaniment to driving through the Berkshire countryside, where major roads are shrouded in a canopy of green-brown autumn leaves from overhanging trees ready to shed their foliage all over railway lines and delay Britain's useless transport network as much as that half an inch of snow which the Daily Express report will bring the country to a grinding halt. This is folk of the highest order. Vote Jansch.

Work... cig... work... more cigs... lunch... work... cig... then...

Kill The Hippies! Kill Yourself! The Am...us Artists

As mentioned in yesterday's post, the Soul Jazz label can do absolutely no wrong when it comes to compilation.. err... compiling. I think it was Drak who first featured this in his chart, but being a fan of Soul Jazz since the 100% Dynamite compilation was released back in the 90s I've pretty much instantly snapped up everything they've released since, be it post-punk, samba, country, funk or dub. This is the first in a triumvirate of post/proto/punk compilations released in the last 12 months, and is by far and away the best. In fact the only album that comes close to documenting US underground punk in the late 70s was Jon Savage's Black Hole, which is well worth hunting down. Picks here - "I'm A Bug" by The Urinals, "Almost Ready" by The Normals, "Let's Get Rid Of New York" by The Randoms, "US Millie" by Theoretical Girls and - the zinger to end all zingers - "Kill The Hippies" by The Deadbeats (sample lyric - "HIPPIES STINK!! SEND THEM BACK TO SAN FRANCISCO"). One of the best punk compys ever, and seriously worth tracking down and playing at full volume to get back at your wanky neighbours whose dog never, EVER stops yapping.

More to follow this evening once I had some pie and chips...
  • Visit poster's website