Best band of the last 10 years? (Band, not solo artist)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
JMan

• Posted: 09/26/2014 18:41
  • Post subject:
Arcade Fire
Arctic Monkeys
Daft Punk
Gorillaz
White Stripes
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 09/26/2014 18:45
  • Post subject:
Patman360 wrote:
I'm not sure who I'd put at the top anymore actually... So many bands have released great albums during that time, but I'm not sure who I'd feel are the most consistent over 10 years, based on my current mood maybe Deerhunter.

Honourable mentions:
Grizzly Bear, And So I Watch You From Afar, Adebisi Shank, Thee Oh Sees, The National, Arcade Fire, Belle & Sebastian

To be honest I could change the whole thing dependent on my mood.

• Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 09/26/2014 19:08
  • Post subject:
Manic Street Preachers
satiemaniac

• Posted: 09/26/2014 19:23
  • Post subject:
HUNX AND HIS PUNX YOU GUYS EVERYTHING THEY MAKE IS GREAT AND YOU'RE LYING OR HAVEN'T HEARD THEM IF YOU THINK OTHERWISE

not quite a band, but the Graham Lambkin & Jason Lescalleet collabs jump to mind instantly as an incredibly consistent run full of twists and turns and for holistically pushing forward the genre they occupy (EAI roughly) with each new release.

Juppala Kaapio also make a very good case for themselves, with four classics in the 2010s, though they don't stretch back to the other end of the time frame we're looking at.

not quite a "band," but the Sandwell District output from Regis et al. has been incredible. same goes for the even less-band-like Faraway Press ambient releases from Vikki Jackman, Andrew Chalk, Tom James Scott, and those folks. i'll cheat and stick PC Music here, too, though those are all solo projects in and of themselves.

T.E.F. is definitely the best noise outfit of the last ten years

i'll echo Mecca on Liars and throw in Xiu Xiu (though that verges on individual since the cast outside of Jamie is always revolving) as another incredible group that constantly invents and re-invents itself. also agreed on Animal Collective, though i think their best output pre-dates the ten-year window we're looking at and don't know if i can say they've pushed boundaries musically with much success since Feels (not that that's a requisite feature of greatness or anything, just that one of the biggest appeals of them as an outfit specifically was their inventiveness and refusal to get into a single groove and now we're coming up on seven years of material sort of in orbit around the same ideas).

shame on me for mentioning individuals but uh *cough cough*Madlib Joanna Newsom Burial Aine O'Dwyer
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 09/26/2014 19:35
  • Post subject:
satiemaniac wrote:
HUNX AND HIS PUNX YOU GUYS EVERYTHING THEY MAKE IS GREAT AND YOU'RE LYING OR HAVEN'T HEARD THEM IF YOU THINK OTHERWISE

I've probably not given them a fair enough listen, but the tracks I heard weren't all that impressive.

Since The Poe isn't around, I'll mention Natural Snow Buildings for him.
  • Visit poster's website
satiemaniac

• Posted: 09/26/2014 19:36
  • Post subject:
oh, Big Blood too
latenighttv

• Posted: 09/26/2014 19:50
  • Post subject:
Kiki wrote:
Manic Street Preachers

Best of all time.

Have not actually checked out a few of the other bands mentioned so must do that.
  • Visit poster's website
latenighttv

• Posted: 09/26/2014 19:57
  • Post subject:
Was at a wedding about 6 or 7 years ago and said to someone that Republic of Loose were the best band in the world today Shocked If you can get your head round the idea of a band from Dublin taking influence almost exclusively from genres like funk, hip-hop and soul and creating something unique, bizarre and brilliant out of that, then you should check this band out right away (they're unclassifiable, as many of the best bands are)!

They've not really made it 'international'. The peak of their exposure was probably a Guardian article from 2007 where the writer says

"We know we've gone overboard on a lot of new bands lately, but RoL are seriously worth checking out...
they do it so well, so authentically, that any fears that they're the Emerald Isle Goldie Lookin' Chain are immediately allayed"

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2007/j...opandrock3

As it happens, have had a strange feeling over the last few weeks that they're going to announce a split soon, so have been watching some of my fave youtube performances by them a lot

Link

Link

Link

Sinéad O'Connor happened to guest on one of my favourite tracks by the band - apparently she begged Republic of Loose to let her work with them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYXrO3eUDNo

Now culture may come
And culture may go
But shit still stinks
And flowers still grow

This band kept me interested in music when there was very little in music that interested me. If it wasn't for them I'd probably be posting on a tiddlywinks forum today...

Their music has also challenged me, throwing up questions like : 'Is a misogynistic lyric misogynistic if it's sung by a female?'

On their discog, allmusic will tell you their best album is 'Aaagh!', RYM might lump for 'Vol IV : Johnny Pyro and the Dance of Evil', some people will tell you they lost their way after their debut, 'This Is The Tomb of the Juice', and their last album, 'Bounce At The Devil' happens to be my own fave.

Would rank their albums

'Bounce At The Devil' (5/5)
'Aaagh!' (5/5)
'Vol IV : Johnny Pyro and the Dance of Evil' (4.5/5)
'This Is The Tomb of the Juice' (4/5)
  • Visit poster's website
meruizh

Mexico

• Posted: 09/26/2014 20:02
  • Post subject:
Listmeister wrote:

1. Maroon 5

No offense, but Maroon 5 hasn't had decent release since their debut.
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 09/26/2014 20:31
  • Post subject:
Muse
The Raconteurs
The Bravery
  • Visit poster's website