The Definative "Indie" Anthem - A Must Listen!!!

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Kiki

• Posted: 06/06/2010 15:57
  • Post subject: The Definative "Indie" Anthem - A Must Listen!!!
Guys... I think I have found the definitive "indie" anthem! Surprised A song which is the epitome of the scene that is called "indie" in the 00s-10s. A nice light track at that too.

It's called 'Ask Me Anything' by The Strokes of "Is This It?" fame Smile A hidden gem on their last album in 2006. Even if you don't like the band I would give this a listen. Enjoy!

Link
RaineyWins

Ireland

• Posted: 06/06/2010 16:17
  • Post subject:
One of their better tracks off that album, but, do you think it betters their first three tracks off the album "You Only Live Once", "Juicebox" and "Heart In A Cage"?
  • Visit poster's website
cartoken
The Seer

France

• Posted: 06/06/2010 16:58
  • Post subject:
this song is good but not as good as the super opening song of the album : You Only Live Once
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
mikeyskywalker

• Posted: 06/06/2010 19:24
  • Post subject:
Really really like that song, I need to listen to more Strokes. :p
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
cartoken
The Seer

France

• Posted: 06/06/2010 19:56
  • Post subject:
mikeyskywalker wrote:
Really really like that song, I need to listen to more Strokes. :p

The whole album (First Impressions of Earth) is just superbe !
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Wumbo

• Posted: 06/06/2010 20:15
  • Post subject:
I dunno if you can call a band signed by Sony "independent," but yeah, they're pretty good. They were all over muchmusic/mtv for awhile.

People seem to mistake indie for a genre a lot. If someone says 'I like indie music' what it should mean is that they just like music which isn't censored or influenced at all by recording studios. This song is so inoffensive I don't see how it makes sense to call it the indie anthem.
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 06/06/2010 21:04
  • Post subject:
Quote:
I dunno if you can call a band signed by Sony "independent," but yeah, they're pretty good. They were all over muchmusic/mtv for awhile.

People seem to mistake indie for a genre a lot. If someone says 'I like indie music' what it should mean is that they just like music which isn't censored or influenced at all by recording studios. This song is so inoffensive I don't see how it makes sense to call it the indie anthem.

Almost there... Surprised
maxperenchio

• Posted: 06/07/2010 22:22
  • Post subject:
Wumbo wrote:

Censored or influenced by recording studios? Do you mean record labels? The guy who owns or operates the studio isnt going to censor the work you make. Even if you meant labels, you'd be surprised how many Indie labels actually do have an influence on the music their bands make.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
Wumbo

• Posted: 06/08/2010 16:45
  • Post subject:
What the hell is an indie label? That's an oxymoron. Indie, independent, not signed, not under contract, etc etc etc. In Rainbows and Burn Burn are technically indie records, since they're self-produced (since Our Lady Peace and Radiohead are rich enough to do that now). Naveed might have had a more indie sound (OLP's first record) but it wasn't indie because it was signed.

I dunno how you think record labels don't have control over the artist's they sign. All they have to say is 'we don't want our name on this' and the artist has to conform to that need. IE: DEPENDENT.
  • Visit poster's website
mikeyskywalker

• Posted: 06/08/2010 16:55
  • Post subject:
Wumbo wrote:
What the hell is an indie label? That's an oxymoron. Indie, independent, not signed, not under contract, etc etc etc. In Rainbows and Burn Burn are technically indie records, since they're self-produced (since Our Lady Peace and Radiohead are rich enough to do that now). Naveed might have had a more indie sound (OLP's first record) but it wasn't indie because it was signed.

I dunno how you think record labels don't have control over the artist's they sign. All they have to say is 'we don't want our name on this' and the artist has to conform to that need. IE: DEPENDENT.

There's indie and major record labels, being an "indie" band when it comes to labels doesn't necessarily mean you aren't signed. In fact, most of the time it is with an independent record label.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email