ALC #whatever (28?): Perfect Hair

View previous topic :: View next topic
undefined

• Posted: 10/17/2014 17:50
  • Post subject: ALC #whatever (28?): Perfect Hair

Perfect Hair by Busdriver

dividesbyzero wrote:
Busdriver's backcatalog is shaky for sure. Wacky and bizarre, unfortunately sometimes just for the sake of being wacky and bizarre. The man can do ridiculous things with his voice, though unfortunately he tends to boast such things to the point where they become gimmicky. "Temporary Forever" is when he landed at that perfect balance of his schizophrenic eccentricities and consistency of genuine songcraft. He went a little overboard with "Fear of Black Tangent", (a smart album sometimes a little too smart for its own good). Being so hit and miss from song-to-song, watching Busdriver return to a thoughtful package of cohesive psychosis was one of the best treats of 2014. Driver's sense of self-deprecating humor feels neither forced nor "oh hey look how clever I am", and his increasingly dynamic flow highlights his vocal talents without boasting his inherent weirdness to any uncomfortable extent. Busdriver is way off to the hip-hop leftfield but Perfect Hair is really surprisingly accessible, (partly for the excellent guest spots. e.g. You have Danny Brown's unique nuttiness balancing out the hyper-literate quirks of Driver and Aesop Rock on "Ego Death" such that the whole thing feels almost endearing (in some really weird way), which is pretty remarkable for a song that begins with Aesop asking if it is "sexier than torture".) Oh yeah and yes you did just hear Danny Brown refer to himself as the "rap Marylin Manson". Glorious.

Oh yeah and there's a hidden track after "Colonize the Moon", and it is wonderful so keep listening after that silence.
Precedent

• Posted: 10/17/2014 18:14
  • Post subject:
I like it! I listened to Fear Of A Black Tangent and really liked the first half, but thought the second half was incredibly weak. Now, this isn't the exact case here, rather the opposite, if you will. I thought that the first half of this album was decent, but the second half is good.

Not one of my favorites, but a good listen for sure.
WindowAbove

United States

• Posted: 10/17/2014 18:27
  • Post subject:
Great album, might be my favorite by him. In my top 10 for the year
  • Visit poster's website