750+ Hip-Hop Tournament

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Precedent

• Posted: 10/20/2014 22:33
  • Post subject: 750+ Hip-Hop Tournament
Moderators, please sticky this! <3

I've had many people request this start early, so I was thinking about kicking this off tomorrow, 10.21.2014.

4 matches/6 days for the first round
4 matches/2 days after the first round

Here are the brackets: http://challonge.com/beahop

Last edited by Precedent on 10/23/2014 00:39; edited 3 times in total
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 10/20/2014 22:36
  • Post subject:
Works for me

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 10/20/2014 23:32
  • Post subject:
I'd maybe go a little bit slower in the first round. that could be potentially 8 albums we haven't heard to listen to within 2 days. that might be a bit much listening to work in.
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 10/21/2014 00:07
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
I'd maybe go a little bit slower in the first round. that could be potentially 8 albums we haven't heard to listen to within 2 days. that might be a bit much listening to work in.

Yeah, I second this. It's especially tough for me to find time for hip-hop listening because so little of it is... um... family friendly.
Precedent

• Posted: 10/21/2014 00:09
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:

Very true.

Does 4 matches/4 days work?
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 10/21/2014 00:15
  • Post subject:
Precedent wrote:
Very true.

Does 4 matches/4 days work?

Yeah. I think that sounds better. once we get to round 2, I'd speed it up since by then people should be familiar with the records.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 10/22/2014 14:20
  • Post subject:
I'd maybe consider even going to four matches every five/six days if there isn't particularly active participation in the first few matchups. I was already familiar with the vast, vast majority of these albums prior to the tournament, and even if I wasn't I don't think I'd find listening to eight hip-hop albums in four days particularly taxing (in fact, I've probably been doing just that for about a decade), but I fear that others might. It isn't a genre that everybody wants to listen to particularly regularly, so if you're seeing low voter turnout - especially in matches where both records are relatively well-known - I'd definitely consider increasing the voting window, thus giving people a bit more time to spread out the albums as they listen to them. Also, hip-hop albums frequently hit 65 or 70 minutes in length (more so than in many other genres), and so realistically somebody might have to find eight or nine hours of time to put aside for listening to albums they normally wouldn't look twice at simply in order to vote.
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 10/22/2014 15:16
  • Post subject:
^ yes please, there's no genre I'm in the mood for for entire days. I'd love it if we just took our time, at least for the first round. If it's possible of course, I understand you've already lengthened the original duration and may not want to do it again.
  • Visit poster's website
Precedent

• Posted: 10/23/2014 00:38
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
I'd maybe consider even going to four matches every five/six days if there isn't particularly active participation in the first few matchups. I was already familiar with the vast, vast majority of these albums prior to the tournament, and even if I wasn't I don't think I'd find listening to eight hip-hop albums in four days particularly taxing (in fact, I've probably been doing just that for about a decade), but I fear that others might. It isn't a genre that everybody wants to listen to particularly regularly, so if you're seeing low voter turnout - especially in matches where both records are relatively well-known - I'd definitely consider increasing the voting window, thus giving people a bit more time to spread out the albums as they listen to them. Also, hip-hop albums frequently hit 65 or 70 minutes in length (more so than in many other genres), and so realistically somebody might have to find eight or nine hours of time to put aside for listening to albums they normally wouldn't look twice at simply in order to vote.

Yeah, I can do six days. Looking for maximum participation, six days sounds great.
Goodsir

• Posted: 10/23/2014 23:40
  • Post subject:
Thank you so much for the time extension Pray Was really afraid that I wouldn't be able to participate, and I really want to.