The Endless River Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
CripplingAutism

• Posted: 11/11/2014 15:54
  • Post subject: The Endless River Discussion
Okay guys, thoughts and discussion on Pink Floyd's The Endless River.

In all honesty the new Pink Floyd album feels kind of underwhelming. It is by no means a bad record, but it didn't do anything too far outside the box, or throw any curveballs. It ended up being almost exactly what I expected it to be. I definitely feel like The Division Bell was the final chapter in the Pink Floyd legacy, and this is just an epilogue to it. It is an absolutely stellar album, but it is nothing new and is simply an epilogue to the resounding close of The Division Bell. Think of it as a lesser version of Wish You Were Here and you've got it about right, though there are DEFINITELY some great songs on the album, my personal highlight being Side 2, because it really features the genius of Wright, and it has some of Nick Mason's best drumming on any Floyd album. Yes, I can even say that the third and fourth parts of Side Two, Unsung and Anisina, have some of Gilmour's most emotional guitar work. And yes, it does get better with every listen
Probably about a 7.9-8.6/10.
Best Songs: Side 2, Pt. 1: Sum, Side 2, Pt. 2: Skins
Worst: None really

Is it your AOTY? Was it worth the 20 year wait? Is this just a cash grab?
Lets hear what you have to say, BEA.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 11/11/2014 16:03
  • Post subject: Re: The Endless River Discussion
CripplingAutism wrote:
In all honesty the new Pink Floyd album feels kind of underwhelming.

Listened to it this morning, and I think it's totally underwhelming. It comes across as a sketch for something more substantial. There are moments during which the record sounds like it could make a leap with hints at Wish You Were Here's immaculate instrumentals, but in the end, the songs tend to go nowhere.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 11/11/2014 16:04
  • Post subject:
I heard the single on the radio today. It sounded like WYWH-era Floyd on autopilot, and somewhat more muzak-y. I won't be listening to the album.
Graeme2

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/11/2014 16:07
  • Post subject:
It's alright to me. Seems to be most people's opinion of it also. In the right mood I'll listen again. It does have some very good moments though, maybe 3 or 4 times when it really hits a high. It was never going to have a track on it as good as high hopes was it? Considering how it was compiled. I thought it was a 7/10 maybe. Only heard it he once.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 11/11/2014 16:08
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
It sounded like WYWH-era Floyd on autopilot, and somewhat more muzak-y.

That's pretty much the album in a nutshell. It's like they pulled some unused instrumentals from the same sessions as Shine On You Crazy Diamond, and then removed any of the dynamics. It's by no means bad. It's actually kind of better than I expected. And I'm a Pink Floyd fanboy.
  • Visit poster's website
CripplingAutism

• Posted: 11/11/2014 16:10
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
I won't be listening to the album.

I think you should give it a chance as a whole, because this is definitely not a song-centric album. It does have some of Wright, Gilmour and Mason's best textural work, on par with WYWH, and it does get better on repeated listens. Definitely do not base your opinion off of one song (presumably Louder Than Words, one of the weakest songs on the album), because it is taken completely out of context of the rest of the album.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 11/11/2014 16:29
  • Post subject:
CripplingAutism wrote:
I think you should give it a chance as a whole, because this is definitely not a song-centric album. It does have some of Wright, Gilmour and Mason's best textural work, on par with WYWH, and it does get better on repeated listens. Definitely do not base your opinion off of one song (presumably Louder Than Words, one of the weakest songs on the album), because it is taken completely out of context of the rest of the album.

To be honest I've never really been a Floyd fan. I don't hate them, but I find their music often leaves me cold. I could quite happily live without pretty much their entire discography, and certainly everything post-Saucerful of Secrets largely isn't my cup of tea, even if there are occasional moments I enjoy ('Shine On You Crazy Diamond', a couple of tracks off DSotM, a couple of tracks off Animals, the live disc of Ummagumma). I'm not going to base my opinion on one song, but given the sheer amount of music being released - much of which is far more suited to my tastes than a new Pink Floyd album (probably) is - I'm struggling to think of when I'm actually going to sit down and listen to this album (answer: likely never). Glad you enjoyed it though.
CripplingAutism

• Posted: 11/11/2014 16:33
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
To be honest I've never really been a Floyd fan. I don't hate them, but I find their music often leaves me cold. I could quite happily live without pretty much their entire discography, and certainly everything post-Saucerful of Secrets largely isn't my cup of tea, even if there are occasional moments I enjoy ('Shine On You Crazy Diamond', a couple of tracks off DSotM, a couple of tracks off Animals, the live disc of Ummagumma). I'm not going to base my opinion on one song, but given the sheer amount of music being released - much of which is far more suited to my tastes than a new Pink Floyd album (probably) is - I'm struggling to think of when I'm actually going to sit down and listen to this album (answer: likely never). Glad you enjoyed it though.

I feel you on that one 100%. There isn't nearly enough time to listen to all the music out there, so we got to pick our battles and keep charging on. Props to you for not just blowing it off as a "WTF THIS ISN'T THE WALL OR DARK SIDE" thing, and actually taking the time to develop a well thought and executed answer. Thats something which is very very hard to come by nowadays, especially with a band as "big" as Pink Floyd Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
NickVolos
Segnahc Reve4

Location: Land of the Argonauts, Centaurs and other such creatures
Greece

• Posted: 11/11/2014 16:55
  • Post subject:
I wouldn't call it a disappointment but surely close to it.
For worship, being born among these trees?"
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 11/11/2014 16:58
  • Post subject:
Isn't this album just outtakes from The Division Bell? I don't get why this is treated as if they regrouped and recorded new material. I'm a huge fan of 1960s and 70s Pink Floyd, but I don't have a particularly big interest in hearing this (though I probably will)
  • Visit poster's website