7%
 7%  [1]
Total Votes : 13

19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 11/24/2014 16:34
  • Post subject: BEA ULL: 19loveless91
Hi guys. I decided that it's my turn to do this now, and even though it's shaping up to be a busy week for me, I'm gonna try to make this as busy as possible.

My listening habits have been a bit out of sorts this year, apart from listening to new releases on a fairly regular basis, I haven't had a clear direction and have just been listening to music randomly. My post-hardcore binge earlier in the year ended abruptly, my attempts of getting into classic blues and country ended before they properly started, couldn't really follow any of the recent tournaments either, even though I wanted to use this opportunity to get more into the classic hip hop, which I honestly don't know much about.

Anyway, if there's anything that you would love to recommend to me, particularly within the above mentioned genres, please go ahead. Other recommendations obviously welcome as well, but don't throw a fit if I don't end up listening to it, my wishlist is long enough as it is.

OK here we go, most of this is gonna be incoherent as fuck, but what can I do, I'm Slovenian.

---

Anyway, woke up late today again. Feeling really light-headed lately, what's up with that. Needed something calm, nice and boring, and gave this another go.

This Is All Yours by ∆ (alt-j)
Not sure what Pitchfork's problem with these guys is, in both reviews they mention how they're regarded by some as "new Radiohead" (something which apparently one person once said something about, and then the rest media starting talking about it for whatever reason), but it's not reason to throw a fit over...
This is Yours is not as good as the debut, it's also less immediate, not really for expense of being cohesive, because it is not... But it still works. There's a couple of really serene, chilled out tracks on here, just taking their time to build the sound slowly, before entering any sort of melody or hooks. Mostly it works well, Arrival in Nara is an example of that.
While I get that some hate the singer's voice, I for one find myself on the opposite end, and I especially like the moment when he's joined by a few others in Warm Foothills - album's best song by far in my opinion. Love how the vocals interweave here.
I also really like the slightly Black Keys-ish Left Hand Free, even if it feels like a bit out of place on the album.
A bit of an anticlimactic closer, but whatever.

BEA type rating:
75/100

First Step by TRUS!
Had no idea what to listen next and decided to put this on again. I've been whoring them out on plug.dj for the unfortunate bystanders, but I do really recommend these guys. A fairly new Slovenian band, only with this (short) album + one half of a compilation/collaboration with another artist, both released last year, and they play this slightly noisy mix of electronica and alternative rock. I often get reminded of Pram (and with that consequently of Stereolab), while maybe not the best comparison, they do achieve that similar mood.

2:00 - 3:00 PM

Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga by Spoon
Lunch time, I'm in need of some easy listening, catchy indie rock. Spoon have a new album out this year, and I want to listen to it based on solid reviews, but I decided to go through their back catalogue first - I only listened to Kill the Moonlight before, and I don't have much of a recollection from it anymore, apart from knowing that I "sort of liked it" and gave it a pretty solid rating.

Well, Ga Ga Ga etc. was an extremely pleasant listen. Groundbreaking? No, but a well-produced, catchy, instrumentally rich, energetic enough, just a really damn solid album. Maybe one or two misfires at most, funny enough, one song I didn't seem to care for at all was The Underdog, which loads of people seem to like. Oh well.

No rating yet, but this is something I will listen to in the coming days for sure, and it's made me excited for the rest of their discography, including the latest album.

3:30PM =>

Mature Themes by Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti
Similar to the Spoon album, the main reason I'm listening to this is, because I intend to give his latest effort a go, and I haven't even heard this yet (despite liking Before Today quite a bit).

Well, this treads on a very fine line between fun and downright annoying, but I think it still manages to work. Like, I have no idea what to make of Schnitzel Boogie or Symphony of the Nymph, but there you go. I suppose it's even weirder that an album like this closes with the two songs that it does. After what felt like an hour long joke, an exercise in kitsch and irony that I wasn't sure I was into at all, we first get served with this astonishing, dreamy and kind of spacey 7-minute Nostradamus & Me, and another brilliant track, a soulful and seemingly straightforward, Baby. Or is this still just the same exercise in irony? I don't know. But I loved it.

No rating until a relisten, I imagine it'll be a positive one though.

---
Taking a break now, will return later in the evening I guess...
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 11/24/2014 21:31
  • Post subject:
Well I mostly just chilled to this

Real Estate by Real Estate
...and I think I'll continue to do so... Real Estate just make me want to melt. Jangly, lo-fi, occasionally murky but mostly just like a warm summer breeze. Days might be my favourite album of theirs, but I actually prefer the sound here...

I also started, then stopped The Go Betweens' 16 Lovers Lane. Not because it would be bad, but because I was looking for something more.. jangly. If you have something to recommend here, I'd love to hear it.

Oh I also watched Enemy which is a pretty damn solid movie. Psych thriller or something like that.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 11/24/2014 21:58
  • Post subject:
I thoroughly enjoyed Veronica Falls' Waiting for Something to Happen from last year, it's nice and jangly. Also liking this so far. Hope you enjoy pom pom whenever you get around to it - in my top three albums of the year.
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 11/24/2014 22:40
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
I thoroughly enjoyed Veronica Falls' Waiting for Something to Happen from last year, it's nice and jangly. Also liking this so far. Hope you enjoy pom pom whenever you get around to it - in my top three albums of the year.

Cheers, I'll give it a listen tomorrow.

In the meantime I figured that there should be a Dunedin band that has what I was looking for

Vehicle by The Clean
And this album is pretty damn great, guitar work is just endlessly creative. A joy to listen to.
  • Visit poster's website
meruizh

Mexico

• Posted: 11/25/2014 01:24
  • Post subject: Re: BEA ULL: 19loveless91
19loveless91 wrote:
Not sure what Pitchfork's problem with these guys is, in both reviews they mention how they're regarded by some as "new Radiohead" (something which apparently one person once said something about, and then the rest media starting talking about it for whatever reason), but it's not reason to throw a fit over...

Totally agree, but you know it's Pitchfork, at times their reviews make no sense. Alt-J makes pleasant music. I really enjoy it. "This is All Yours" is not as good as their debut, but it still is a pretty good album.

Great log
Wombi

• Posted: 11/25/2014 03:31
  • Post subject:
Alt-J rarely do anything interesting with their music but I found This All Yours to be vastly superior to their debut (not that that says much).
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 11/25/2014 19:31
  • Post subject:
Here's a list of things I managed to listen today. Since I don't have much time now, I will write something about these albums tomorrow. Maybe.

Relistened to Vehicle (great album), and gave yet another listen to Real Estate (s/t).
Also:

Waiting For Something To Happen by Veronica Falls

Silur by Tarwater
(Norman's plug.dj rec)

And right now listening to

Gimme Fiction by Spoon
Will give another listen to Ga Ga Ga... later... And go for their newest tomorrow.
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 11/25/2014 20:03
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:
Cheers, I'll give it a listen tomorrow.

In the meantime I figured that there should be a Dunedin band that has what I was looking for

Vehicle by The Clean
And this album is pretty damn great, guitar work is just endlessly creative. A joy to listen to.

Yep! And Hamish Kilgour jas released his... first solo LP this year! More than 20 years after The Clean. And a good LP it is too, lo-fi as hell though, you need to like lo-fi.
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 11/26/2014 06:08
  • Post subject:
7 AM

Sung Tongs by Animal Collective
Is there a better early morning album? Adore this band.
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 11/26/2014 16:13
  • Post subject:
Phew, through with the big assignment of the week, now I can relax my asshole a little bit and focus on important stuff like this ULL.

Let's update my previous entries a bit
19loveless91 wrote:

Relistened to Vehicle (great album), and gave yet another listen to Real Estate (s/t).

I forgot to mention that I also listened to The Clean's EP, Boodle Boodle Boodle, which was fun, but it didn't reach the level of Vehicle. I think just because of the guitar work.
Quote:

Also:

Waiting For Something To Happen by Veronica Falls

Thanks for the rec, Skinny, it was fun enough, and in the realm of what I was looking for at the time. Maybe lacking a bit on a song to song basis, I would need a standout or two, something really catchy, or maybe like what Real Estate have going for them, which is just this incredible way their sound "embodies" a certain mood - it's like nostalgia of long gone summer days, and without needing the lyrics to paint that picture. This however was just an overall nice record, with a nice sound, but nothing that would elevate it above that. Above nice that is.
Quote:

Silur by Tarwater
(Norman's plug.dj rec)

Sweet album, I don't really get why RYM lists is at post-rock though. Have no other comments on it apart that I like its atmosphere (again). See it similar to what I mentioned above for TRUS! and their connection to Pram. Or maybe closer to their compatriots The Notwist Think
Quote:

Gimme Fiction by Spoon

I guess I was too busy with my assignment, because I don't remember much from it. It was a nice enough listen, but as Ga Ga Ga... followed, I immediately forgot about the songs on this album, and just started thinking about how great Ga Ga Ga... is.

I also listened to a few other AnCo songs beyond Sung Tongs . Maybe my favourite band at this moment. I wish I had the knowledge and energy to do a write-up of sorts about them.

Now listening to

Spokojnie by Kult
Preferred Posluchaj to do ciebie (1987), but this is a good band. Reminds me of some of the yugoslav new wave bands from early 1980s, I like the way they kind of mix post punk aesthetics with a richer instrumentation (eg. a brass section). Anybody have a polish band rec apart from this and Siekiera?
  • Visit poster's website