Oscars 2015

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/05/2014 15:45
  • Post subject: Oscars 2015
This might be a bit early, but I want to get my movie fix in before the show Laughing

With this slightly odd year for films, how do you think this years Oscars will turn out? Unlike last year, I don't think there's an obvious front-runner.

My prediction for Best Picture

Boyhood
Birdman
The Imitation Game
The Theory of Everything
Whiplash
Gone Girl
The Grand Budapest Hotel (hoping Pray )
Inherent Vice (which I have yet to see)
Selma (which I have also yet to see)

And if there's a 10th nom: Interstellar

I can't see Still Alice, Unbroken (which I haven't seen, but have heard bad things about), American Sniper or Mr. Turner making the list..

Despite lacking a Pixar release, this year had a strong selection of animated films too, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's the tightest category this year.

Animated Feature predictions:

The Book of Life
The Lego Movie
How To Train Your Dragon 2
Big Hero 6
The Boxtrolls

I know this is just two categories, but I just want to see what people think will make it this year.
  • Visit poster's website
CubaZed

• Posted: 12/05/2014 16:14
  • Post subject:
Pretty sure this years "WWII is bad" oscar bait movie Fury will get nominated. Personally, still hoping Birdman will win best picture.
Wombi

• Posted: 12/05/2014 16:43
  • Post subject:
ALL BUT LOCKED
Birdman
Boyhood
The Imitation Game
Selma

Outside of those 4 it gets tricky but I'm predicting these 5
American Sniper - Eastwood apparently back on form with a film that pays tribute to an american soldier. Word from screenings say many tears.

Gone Girl - It's a crazy divisive film and as hard as it would be in other years to see something as nasty and satirical as this get in - Fincher has a great rep and the film is elegantly made despite its gritty undercurrent.

A Most Violent Year - Just won National Board Of Review's best film over the likes of Birdman and Boyhood. A crime drama that (from the looks of the trailer) hails back to the like they used to nominate a lot 30-40 years ago. Academy seem to like Chandor after nominating his screenplay for Margin Call outta nowhere)

The Theory Of Everything - This one seems obvious. A sappy biopic about one of the most widely beloved individuals on earth. Hawking has a big romantic story and obviously a tragic health one. I'm yet to see it but every review seems to come with criticism even if it is positive. I think many are overstating how safe it is.

Unbroken - Like Theory the reviews for this are coming with criticism even the positive ones. But it got a standing ovation at its SAG screening and really the reviews for a film like this don;t really matter all that much. A film about an American hero overcoming insurmountable odds during world war 2? They'll eat this up. Besides a lot of the reviews have been very positive.

THE I COULD BE WRONG SECTION
Big Eyes
Foxcatcher
Interstellar
Into The Woods
Mr Turner
Still Alice
Wild
Whiplash

THE (NOT REALLY VERY) CLOSE BUT NO CIGAR SECTION
Fury
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Homesman
Inherent Vice

I'm predicting Boyhood to win.

Also I'd have The Tale Of Princess Kaguya in place of The Book Of Life in your animated predictions
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/05/2014 18:07
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:

A Most Violent Year - Just won National Board Of Review's best film over the likes of Birdman and Boyhood. A crime drama that (from the looks of the trailer) hails back to the like they used to nominate a lot 30-40 years ago. Academy seem to like Chandor after nominating his screenplay for Margin Call outta nowhere)

Foxcatcher
Into The Woods

I'm predicting Boyhood to win.

I'd love Boyhood to win, and I know it deserves it, but I can't see it winning.. I'm not sure why. It's leaps and bounds better than anything else released this year, but it just seems too "un-Oscar-y".. not sure.

I'll be honest, I don't know anything about A Most Violent Year, but I'll check it out. I've also yet to see Foxcatcher, but I intend to eventually. Apparently Carell's performance is outstanding.

And apart from Into The Woods sounding dope, I have no clue if it'll be great. I don't even know when the last time Disney got a Best Picture nom.

The best actor award is Eddie Redmayne's to lose in my opinion, even with a ridiculously strong year for male performances.
  • Visit poster's website
meruizh

Mexico

• Posted: 12/05/2014 23:58
  • Post subject:
Motion Picture of the Year

The ones I've seen

Boyhood
Birdman
Theory of Everything
Gone Girl
Whiplash

*The Grand Budapest Hotel (will never be nominated, but outside of the Academy, everyone else would)

From the ones I've not seen that follow the Best Picture nomination criteria, which is the same every year. Historical or War movie, about a minority or a prisoner of some sort, that fight an evil oppression (being either white people, Hitler, or bad guy stereotype) only to finish up with a predictable ending where justice is finally achieved.

- Unbroken (an Olympic runner who was taken prisoner by Japanese forces during World War II)
- Selma (Martin Luther King and the civil rights marches that changed America)
- Fury (one tank against the whole Nazi army)

Not saying this movies are bad, they are almost always amazing.... but year after year people predict what movie will win on the bias of who got saved in the movie, the black guy, the jewish from WWII, the US soldier from the Nazis, etc etc.

Please amaze everyone and let Boyhood win!
Wombi

• Posted: 12/06/2014 02:28
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
I'd love Boyhood to win, and I know it deserves it, but I can't see it winning.. I'm not sure why. It's leaps and bounds better than anything else released this year, but it just seems too "un-Oscar-y".. not sure.

I'll be honest, I don't know anything about A Most Violent Year, but I'll check it out. I've also yet to see Foxcatcher, but I intend to eventually. Apparently Carell's performance is outstanding.

And apart from Into The Woods sounding dope, I have no clue if it'll be great. I don't even know when the last time Disney got a Best Picture nom.

The best actor award is Eddie Redmayne's to lose in my opinion, even with a ridiculously strong year for male performances.

When you think about it, Boyhood is a super accesible film. It's a pretty standard (not a criticism, I love the film) coming of age story, just stupendously put together. And of course the whole 12 years narrative does it all kinds of favours. I could be wrong but I think it's the best reviewd film of all time? It's going to dominate all the precursor awards. There's so much going for it plus I disagree with this notion of "oscar" and "un-oscar", I mean they gave Lord Of The Rings a best picture win for goodness sake. And in the last 5 years There's not much that's similar about the last 5 films that won. I really don't think it's beyond them to reward something like Boyhood. Of course I could be wrong, in which case they go for The Imitation Game as the seemingly safe bet...or Selma but I don;t see it.

*Also meruizh I wouldn't nominate The Grand Budapest Hotel. I think it's Wes Anderson's worst film - that or Moonrise Kingdom - and like most I'm a big fan of his.
Saoirse

• Posted: 12/06/2014 12:47
  • Post subject:
I loved your hit song "Royals"

Anyways, We are the Best! for best picture, cmon it even has the word "Best" in the title. With an exclamation point (emphasis, bitches)! It's destiny.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/14/2014 01:06
  • Post subject:
The original scores for 'Birdman' and 'Whiplash' are not eligible for the category...

Although Under The Skin has a fantastic soundtrack (same with The Grand Budapest), neither come close to these two movies.

Very disappointed in this decision Crying or Very sad
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 01/11/2015 02:36
  • Post subject: Re: Oscars 2015
Hayden wrote:

My prediction for Best Picture

Boyhood
Birdman
The Imitation Game
The Theory of Everything
Whiplash
Gone Girl
The Grand Budapest Hotel
American Sniper
Selma

And if there's a 10th nom: Foxcatcher

Updated. I think Birdman will take a sweep with Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor and Best Supporting Actress. If they decide to let the stellar soundtrack into the race, it'd win that too.

Anyway. Whatever. Just some fun predictions. I truly think The Grand Budapest Hotel will be nominated, even though it seems like a dream away.
  • Visit poster's website
satiemaniac

• Posted: 01/11/2015 06:43
  • Post subject:
Inherent Vice will win best score
J. K. Simmons might just pull out a best actor (or supporting actor if he's considered that) nom for Whiplash, unlikely to win
Interstellar is a shoo-in for being nominated Best Picture, but won't win
Y'all underestimate how genuinely mainstream Wes Anderson's films are, and it wouldn't be a shock to me if GBH got a nom, though I wouldn't support it whatsoever since it was by far his worst and one of the worse films I saw this year
Boyhood won't win Best Picture, though it probably should
ideally, Lego Movie would win best animated film
Birdman is my pick for most likely Best Picture
more as I think of them