Introducing young child to hip-hop

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 12/12/2014 02:17
  • Post subject: Introducing young child to hip-hop
Any suggestions for good hip-hop albums to play for a two-year-old (i.e., not too explicit, violent, or sexual)? I'm not necessarily concerned about shielding him from controversial or complex subject matter, just trying to avoid complaints from his preschool teachers about him rattling off profanity.

I'm also curious about how the other fathers (or mothers) here approach this problem. It's sometimes an issue with rock music too, which is too bad because he loves the Ramones.
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 12/12/2014 02:38
  • Post subject:

Jammy Jams by Hip Hop Harry
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 12/12/2014 02:42
  • Post subject:
Just to clarify, it doesn't necessarily need to be made for kids (though I'm open to that too), just be relatively kid-safe.
Silver

• Posted: 12/12/2014 03:03
  • Post subject:

People's Instinctive Travels And The Pa...lled Quest

Admittedly it has been ages since I last heard it, but I've always remembered People's Instinctive Travels as being mostly clean, plus it's awesome and a great introduction to hip-hop. It was the album that got me into the genre anyways, no guarantees how that would go for a two year old though.
Precedent

• Posted: 12/12/2014 03:22
  • Post subject:

3 Feet High and Rising by De La Soul

Metaphorical Music by Nujabes

This one has a little more profanity, but maybe in a few years try:

Cole World: The Sideline Story by J. Cole
RepoMan

• Posted: 12/12/2014 03:23
  • Post subject: Re: Introducing young child to hip-hop
sp4cetiger wrote:
Any suggestions for good hip-hop albums to play for a two-year-old (i.e., not too explicit, violent, or sexual)? I'm not necessarily concerned about shielding him from controversial or complex subject matter, just trying to avoid complaints from his preschool teachers about him rattling off profanity.

I'm also curious about how the other fathers (or mothers) here approach this problem. It's sometimes an issue with rock music too, which is too bad because he loves the Ramones.

My two girls (five and two) typically don't notice the explicit language in the rap or rock music that I listen too, and neither do I for the most part. On the rare occasion that something particularly offensive and clear to discern comes on, I just skip to the next track and my kids have never even noticed. If anything, my five year corrects me on the occasion that I swear around them. I think it demystifies these rap & rock records if kids grow up with them and with time I hope it will give them a healthier perspective on music.

Keep in mind that beyond the albums for the Hip Hop tourney, I don't listen to a whole lot of hip hop.

Also, keep in mind though that my life is crazy so I'm not as concerned about this issue as much as I probably would have been otherwise. It just doesn't seem that important, and I want to enjoy all kinds of music with my two kids while I'm still around. I want them to have memories dancing with me to my favorite tunes. I think that's way more important. And there's no way in hell I'm listening to Barney or Kid BAWP. LOL.

I do (try to) shelter my kids from violence on tv. My wife is a pediatrician and guidelines on violence (even cartoon) are more clear for toddlers and pre-school kids. I don't want my kids to have nightmares.
undefined

• Posted: 12/12/2014 03:46
  • Post subject:
Definitely gonna second Tribe and De La Soul. Here's a few I can think of

Kollage by Bahamadia
Totally kid friendly as far as I can recall, and damn she is smoooth. Also Premiere on those beats

The Other Side Of The Looking Glass by Alias
It's from Anticon so it's not likely to get him any coolness points or street cred, but I think it's pretty great

The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill by Lauryn Hill
^_^

Ceci N'est Pas Un Disque by TTC
it's all in French so if there is any profanity it's not like he'll know. Hell I don't even know but it sounds pretty dope

Celestial Clockwork by Illogic
It addresses some sexual themes but there's not really any profanity as far as I can recall

Things That Happen At Day/Things That H...ht by Milo
Profanity here is little and far between. Far more present are numerous nerdy pop culture references, so that's a plus

Kafile by Sagopa Kajmer
see Ceci N'est Pas Un Disque except replace French with Turkish

Lost by Cool Calm Pete
Dude sounds like a Korean Snoop. Not too much profanity I believe

Rejuvenation by Abstract Rude
I'll be honest I barely remember this album at all, but if memory serves it's pretty kid friendly

Hope that helps some Smile
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 12/12/2014 03:55
RepoMan wrote:
My two girls (five and two) typically don't notice the explicit language in the rap or rock music that I listen too, and neither do I for the most part. On the rare occasion that something particularly offensive and clear to discern comes on, I just skip to the next track and my kids have never even noticed. If anything, my five year corrects me on the occasion that I swear around them. I think it demystifies these rap & rock records if kids grow up with them and with time I hope it will give them a healthier perspective on music.

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. Really, the vast majority of things that an adult might find offensive in music would fly right over the head of a pre-K child anyway. My only actual concern with music at this stage is repetition. For example, he loves "Blitzkrieg Bop", and has been known to sing "Hey ho, let's go" over and over and over again. And that's fine -- I'm not at all worried about the reference to Nazi Germany because he's a long way from really understanding the implications of that. However, if the chorus was something more like, "hey ho, let's fuck!", there would be a lot of people (including my wife) unhappy with me.

You're right that I can just skip the really obvious stuff, but that can be a nuisance when you might need to clean up spilled milk or fetch him a tissue at the same time. It just makes my life a little easier if the record is relatively clean to begin with. When he gets old enough to understand the implications of what he's hearing, then it will be a whole different type of question... to be honest, I haven't completely decided how I'm going to deal with that, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Also, thanks to all for the recs so far!
RepoMan

• Posted: 12/12/2014 04:21
sp4cetiger wrote:
However, if the chorus was something more like, "hey ho, let's fuck!", there would be a lot of people (including my wife) unhappy with me.

Haha! Yes, that would not b good. I would have to get a lawyer. Laughing
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 12/13/2014 00:20
  • Post subject:
An interesting dilemma, Mr. Tiger. I had a similar dilemma when I was thinking of introducing NWJnr to electronica. In the end I stuck him in front of Kraftwerk's Minimum-Maximum and he's now making songs on Garageband (both of these are true).

Anyway, back to topic. Dust down your PS2 and groove on...

Link

• Visit poster's website