BEA Vinyl Swap Shop / Your Own Top 100 on Vinyl

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: How many of your Top 100 do you own on vinyl?
None
12%
 12%  [13]
1-5
10%
 10%  [11]
6-10
9%
 9%  [10]
11-20
21%
 21%  [23]
21-50
23%
 23%  [25]
51-99
9%
 9%  [10]
The Whole Bloody Lot!
0%
 0%  [1]
Vinyl? I'd rather listen to a heavily compressed mp3, thanks.
13%
 13%  [14]
Total Votes : 107

Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/05/2015 16:42
  • Post subject: BEA Vinyl Swap Shop / Your Own Top 100 on Vinyl
Happy NY to you all and ting.

For those who may be aware, I've made it my goal for this year to attempt to obtain as many of my all-time Top 100 on vinyl as I possibly can. Not an easy task if you bear in mind a couple of the albums I've got in mine where never released on vinyl in the first place, and that others fetch ridiculous amounts (unless Warp decide to repress it, Tender Buttons currently goes for upward of £200, for example).

Question is... do any other BEA members really give a stuff about owning the music they adore on vinyl, or would you rather have your albums on digital format or CD? Be interested to know... and also be keen to find out if anyone wants to trade at some point (especially Brun027 so I can get my hands on some Brazilian stuff which you can't get for love nor money round these parts).

If anyone else is interested, maybe we could have a race to see where we all get to by the end of 2015. Unless you plan on spending your wages on baked beans and carpet cleaner.

Also... who can lay claim to fame as BEA's resident vinyl junkie? Let the boasting begin... and pictures are always good so I know whose house to burgle.

Last edited by Jimmy Dread on 09/04/2016 22:56; edited 8 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 01/05/2015 16:58
  • Post subject:
Alas! I'm not equipped for listening to vinyl, and I don't have the kind of money that's necessary to properly feel the experience again.

As a result, I own exactly one (1) of my top 100 on vinyl (Rock Bottom, yes sir).

CD is another story altogether, I enjoy putting my old CDs very much and own a good part of my top 100 in that format. That or K7... that I can't even listen to again.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 01/05/2015 16:59
  • Post subject:
There's a few albums in my top 100 that are just ridiculously expensive and/or rare on vinyl... Exuma, Buena Vista Social Club, The Glow Pt. 2, Down Colorful Hill, Loveless, Metaphorical Music, Soundtracks for The Blind, Peace & Love, Geek The Girl, Channel Orange, Since I Left You, Script of The Bridge, Maaaet, An Empty Bliss Beyond This World, Hosianna Mantra, Big Blood & The Bleedin' Hearts & Rossz Csillag Alatt Született are all pretty unattainable on vinyl. Even if I ever see a copy, most of these go for over $100.

And that's about 1/5 of my chart Laughing

Anyway, I did a quick count and I own 30 albums on in my top 100 on vinyl. I'm pretty happy with that.

Last edited by Hayden on 01/05/2015 17:02; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/05/2015 17:01
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
There's a few albums in my top 100 that are just ridiculously expensive and rare on vinyl... Exuma, Buena Vista Social Club, The Glow Pt. 2, Down Colorful Hill, Loveless, Metaphorical Music, Soundtracks for The Blind, Peace & Love, Geek The Girl, Channel Orange, Since I Left You, Script of The Bridge, Maaaet, An Empty Bliss Beyond This World, Hosianna Mantra, Big Blood & The Bleedin' Hearts & Rossz Csillag Alatt Született are all pretty unattainable on vinyl. Even if I ever see a copy, most of these go for over $100.

And that's about 1/5 of my chart Laughing

Anyway, I did a quick count and I own 30 albums on in my top 100 on vinyl. I'm pretty happy with that.

No word of a lie, but I saw Exuma on vinyl today for £10. Not the best copy in the world, but a copy nonetheless!

I've now got 21/100 on vinyl... be interesting to see where I am after my next trip up town (top ranking)...
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 01/05/2015 17:04
  • Post subject:
noWaxJim wrote:
No word of a lie, but I saw Exuma on vinyl today for £10. Not the best copy in the world, but a copy nonetheless!

Shocked

Are you serious? That's like what.. $15 Canadian? If you went back to buy it, I'd legitimately pay for it and the costs to ship it to Canada Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/05/2015 17:04
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:
Alas! I'm not equipped for listening to vinyl, and I don't have the kind of money that's necessary to properly feel the experience again.

Oh Norm. You can have my old turntable if you cover the postage from England to France...!
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/05/2015 17:06
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Shocked

Are you serious? That's like what.. $15 Canadian? If you went back to buy it, I'd legitimately pay for it and the costs to ship it to Canada Laughing

The shop is closed tomorrow and Wednesday but PM me Thursday to remind me and I'll ring them - but yeah, happy to send it to you if you cover cost and shipping (assuming I wasn't dreaming)...
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 01/05/2015 17:07
  • Post subject:
noWaxJim wrote:
The shop is closed tomorrow and Wednesday but PM me Thursday to remind me and I'll ring them - but yeah, happy to send it to you if you cover cost and shipping (assuming I wasn't dreaming)...

I'm thinking you might of saw Exuma II, which at a glance could be mistaken for the other cover, but if it was it, that'd be great. I'll pm you Thursday.
  • Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 01/05/2015 17:10
  • Post subject:
I do want to gather all my top 100 on vinyl sometime but currently only have 2 of them on vinyl (3 Feet High And Rising and If You're Feeling Sinister), I do have the majority of them on CD though. Only been gathering vinyl for a few months now that I have a job, money is the main issue, the majority of my cash is still being spent on uni, I try pick up some reasonably priced vinyl when I come across them.

• Visit poster's website
samistake2ice
General Grievous Angel

United States

• Posted: 01/05/2015 17:12
  • Post subject:
Of my Top 100, I own 30+ on vinyl.

I cant give an exact number because my overall chart is in the process of being updated. There are at least 5-10 on my chart that have not been released on vinyl.

I have a loose rule that prevents me from just purchasing albums online. I really enjoy the experience of finally finding what i've been looking for at the store.

Check out my new review/pop-culture site MAD DISTRACTION
  • Visit poster's website