BEA Vinyl Swap Shop / Your Own Top 100 on Vinyl

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: How many of your Top 100 do you own on vinyl?
None
12%
 12%  [13]
1-5
10%
 10%  [11]
6-10
9%
 9%  [10]
11-20
21%
 21%  [23]
21-50
23%
 23%  [25]
51-99
9%
 9%  [10]
The Whole Bloody Lot!
0%
 0%  [1]
Vinyl? I'd rather listen to a heavily compressed mp3, thanks.
13%
 13%  [14]
Total Votes : 107

RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 02/25/2017 01:26
  • Post subject:
Good to know.

Not sure if I've heard the difference, but I can believe it. Probably has more to do with the fact that the same album that I have with 2 disks instead of one is the difference of like 40 years, so I'd expect the single disk to not sound as good.

I just hate flipping the disk after 3 songs... super annoying imo. I wanted an interactive listening experience, but not a disruptive one, if that makes any sense. Lay down on the couch and turn off all the lights don't work with a 3 song experience.
  • Visit poster's website
LittleM1971

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/13/2017 22:25
  • Post subject:

City Fallen Leaves by Comet Gain

A big thanks to Jimmy Dread who noticed this missing album from my top 100 had just been issued on vinyl for the first time. Took an age to arrive but it now means I'm back up to to 99 of my top 100 on vinyl.
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/13/2017 22:42
  • Post subject:
LittleM1971 wrote:

A big thanks to Jimmy Dread who noticed this missing album from my top 100 had just been issued on vinyl for the first time. Took an age to arrive but it now means I'm back up to to 99 of my top 100 on vinyl.

Great stuff. Still stuck on 91 (that Gorky's LP is proving nigh-on impossible to find) but will be up to 92 before long I'm sure.

On an unrelated note, anyone got anything they want to trade? Got a few I'm selling on Discogs but would much rather do swaps (and that goes for CDs too, as I'm having a massive clear out of stuff I haven't listened to for ages)...
  • Visit poster's website
Graeme2

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/14/2017 07:44
  • Post subject:
LittleM1971 wrote:

And again the sound is why many albums get the 2xLP repackage treatment (sometimes at 45rpm), basically the more tracks crammed onto a side of vinyl will mean playback will be quieter with less detail which is why 12" singles sound so great and vibrant...all that wax with fewer grooves.

The two albums in my collection that I can think of where there is a huge jump up in audio quality by being reissued as a double album are...Disintegration by The Cure and The Stones Roses first album.

The Stone Roses 2x45rpm issue I have is widely regarded as being the best pressing out there and it does sound great and so much better than the recent Sony reissue which was so flat it sucked all the joy out of it. The problem I have with these 45rpm doubles though is you're constantly getting up to change the side over. So yes it sounds brilliant but when I listen to an album I prefer to be listening for 20-25 minutes before swapping sides rather than having to get up every 10-12 minutes.

I've not seen that roses issue before. Ive never owned it on vinyl and I've just looked up the reviews for this issue. Indeed the word is that it's a wonderful version. Discogs has it listed for over 60 quid though! Might have to give that a miss.
  • Visit poster's website
LittleM1971

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/14/2017 14:22
  • Post subject:
Graeme2 wrote:
LittleM1971 wrote:

And again the sound is why many albums get the 2xLP repackage treatment (sometimes at 45rpm), basically the more tracks crammed onto a side of vinyl will mean playback will be quieter with less detail which is why 12" singles sound so great and vibrant...all that wax with fewer grooves.

The two albums in my collection that I can think of where there is a huge jump up in audio quality by being reissued as a double album are...Disintegration by The Cure and The Stones Roses first album.

The Stone Roses 2x45rpm issue I have is widely regarded as being the best pressing out there and it does sound great and so much better than the recent Sony reissue which was so flat it sucked all the joy out of it. The problem I have with these 45rpm doubles though is you're constantly getting up to change the side over. So yes it sounds brilliant but when I listen to an album I prefer to be listening for 20-25 minutes before swapping sides rather than having to get up every 10-12 minutes.

I've not seen that roses issue before. Ive never owned it on vinyl and I've just looked up the reviews for this issue. Indeed the word is that it's a wonderful version. Discogs has it listed for over 60 quid though! Might have to give that a miss.

I got quite lucky finding it sat in my local charity shop...still had to pay £35 quid for it though but definetely worth keeping a look out for a copy as it does sound great.
  • Visit poster's website
LittleM1971

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/14/2017 14:56
  • Post subject:
Jimmy Dread wrote:
LittleM1971 wrote:

Great stuff. Still stuck on 91 (that Gorky's LP is proving nigh-on impossible to find) but will be up to 92 before long I'm sure.

On an unrelated note, anyone got anything they want to trade? Got a few I'm selling on Discogs but would much rather do swaps (and that goes for CDs too, as I'm having a massive clear out of stuff I haven't listened to for ages)...

I'll keep an eye out for 'The Blue Trees' for you. What's your budget? Reckon Gorky's stuff will all get reissued at some point (hopefully).

Regards to trade / swap I think I'm fast approaching that clear out stage so will send a list over if I ever get round to it. I do find it really difficult to part with anything...I'm such a hoarder!!! Having said that I'm running out of shelving so I might be forced into it Sad
  • Visit poster's website
Graeme2

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/14/2017 16:05
  • Post subject:
I'm very tempted to get that roses double. Seen it somewhere for decent (ish) price. I've not seen anyone online who says anything other than it being fantastic. Consensus seems to be that if you can get the original 1989 pressing then that is the only rival in terms of sound.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/21/2017 20:56
  • Post subject:
RSD 2017 list is out. It's actually not too shabby this year. Here, the list, http://recordstoreday.com/SpecialReleases

Some highlights (in my opinion of course, go check it out yourself for your highlights):

Blind Mr. Jones - Stereo Musicale
R.L. Burnside - Long Distance Call
Vic Chesnutt - West of Rome
The Doors - Live At The Matrix
Ken Kesey - The Acid Test
Thelonious Monk - Les Liaisons Dangereuses 1960
Slick Rick - The Great Adventures of...
Patti Smith - Hey Joe 7"
Super Furry Animals - Fuzzy Logic
Peter Tosh - Legalize It!
Arthur Verocal - Arthur Verocal
Moondog - Moondog

Hoping to pick up any assortment of those. Particularly aiming for Verocal, Moondog, Chesnutt and Blind Mr. Jones.
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/21/2017 21:38
  • Post subject:
Just checked the UK list and it's guff. The Arthur Verocai is just a souped-up 'half-speed mastered, blah blah blah' deluxe version of the superb Mr. Bongo repress I picked up last November for a tenner, which you could get right now if you wanted to for £15. The SFA debut has been repressed already in the last 12 months. Legalize it is available for £5 in virtually every second hand record shop between London and Brighton. The only things I'm half interested in are the Television Personalities represses, U-Roy's Dread In A Babylon and Asobi Seksu's shoegaze-revival-before-it-was-cool effort from '09 Citrus.

Once again I'm away for RSD - doesn't look like I'm missing anything at all.
  • Visit poster's website
LittleM1971

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/21/2017 22:32
  • Post subject:
Jimmy Dread wrote:
Just checked the UK list and it's guff. The Arthur Verocai is just a souped-up 'half-speed mastered, blah blah blah' deluxe version of the superb Mr. Bongo repress I picked up last November for a tenner, which you could get right now if you wanted to for £15. The SFA debut has been repressed already in the last 12 months. Legalize it is available for £5 in virtually every second hand record shop between London and Brighton. The only things I'm half interested in are the Television Personalities represses, U-Roy's Dread In A Babylon and Asobi Seksu's shoegaze-revival-before-it-was-cool effort from '09 Citrus.

Once again I'm away for RSD - doesn't look like I'm missing anything at all.

Hoping to pick up Elastica, Evan Dando, Asobi Seksu and Spacemen 3 (Recurring).
  • Visit poster's website