I've Never Met An Album I Didn't Like

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 01/23/2011 01:38
  • Post subject: I've Never Met An Album I Didn't Like
Well, that isn't completely true, but it's close enough.

According to my ratings, I've given more than half of the albums I've listened to a 7.5 or higher, which I equate with being "very good". And even when I do give an album a negative score, I often end up being positive about it again on my next listen.

It's almost a tragedy. I really enjoy panning things, but I don't get to do it often enough.

Anyone else feel like me?
  • Visit poster's website
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 01/23/2011 02:09
  • Post subject:
Most of my ratings are quite high, but that's just because I am more familiar with the albums I like, and so I feel I can fairly pass judgment. There are a lot of 'classics' that I don't enjoy at all such as The Queen Is Dead, London Calling, etc. but I don't feel I've heard them enough to rate them as such. Perhaps I should give them my rating, since I can always change it if the album does indeed grow on me.
  • Visit poster's website
bcaie16

Canada

• Posted: 01/23/2011 05:13
  • Post subject:
Maybe your just fortunate enough to be listening to some good music. I'm sure there's a lot of stuff out there that you could pan without a second thought. Try your local top 40 station Cool
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 01/23/2011 05:47
  • Post subject:
bcaie16 wrote:
Maybe your just fortunate enough to be listening to some good music. I'm sure there's a lot of stuff out there that you could pan without a second thought. Try your local top 40 station Cool

I absolutely agree with you.They must have one Hell of a radio station that you listen to in your neck of the woods Apperill.I live in Florida U.S.A. and I stopped listening to the radio a long time ago.Nothing but noise on the radio these days.I have found that the best,or at least my favorite,music is never played on the radio.Especially hard rock & metal.I've lived all over America and I never hear Iron Maiden,Judas Priest,Accept, well no metal at all really.But that's cool because I never get sick of hearing it 5 times a day on the radio then.Some of the best music I've heard are from little known bands or songs that are deep cuts off of albums.When I was younger I liked most every song that I heard.But as I've become older and I've played in bands and have listened to a lot of music that has changed.I'm kind of a music snob now I guess.I'm very picky now.It sucks to be like this actually.I envy you.
My average rating for
Tracks - 65
Albums - 63
Bands - 58

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
thomas697

Australia

• Posted: 01/23/2011 05:50
  • Post subject:
I only rate albums I like (except on the odd occassion) I don't waste my time rating a bad album unless its unbelievably bad and people need to be warned away from it.
bcaie16

Canada

• Posted: 01/23/2011 06:14
  • Post subject:
Some people do need a good warning. This is how I felt with Vampire Weekend's Contra. never have I been more confused as to how someone could like an album. Just awful.
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 01/23/2011 08:41
  • Post subject:
I never rated an album (on this site) below 55. The thing is, I don't go listening to albums I know I'll hate. For example, I listened to about three songs off Bruce Springsteen Born to Run on youtube once, didn't like them, and hence didn't check the entire album out, even if it's so highly rated (I realise I might be doing a mistake, but...) .. I, like many of you, checked brokencyde, didn't know whether to laugh or cry watching the video for Freaxxx (ffs, typing this makes me uncomfortable), but I'm not gonna listen to the entire album just so I could give it a low rating..
There's so much good music out there that I haven't heard yet, and I'll rather try to find those than listen to albums where I know there's a 98 % probability I'll hate it..
  • Visit poster's website
maxperenchio

• Posted: 01/23/2011 10:13
  • Post subject:
This is an interesting question- a question that actually plagues my existence. I have the same dilemma, Applerill- I enjoy way more music than I probably should. I get shit for it all the time, really. Even a lot of "terrible" bands, like Creed for instance, I still think have some endearing values. I can enjoy stupid hipster music like Black Dice or Metalux for their impressive, or at least disorienting, sonic explorations, all while still enjoying even (seemingly) stupider music like Lady Gaga for its pop sensibilities and summation-of-the-modern-world abilities. The music I like the least (like Incubus, or something?) really only summons indifference- I find it sort of pathetic to expend energy and emotion hating on some random band- in a way they've kind of achieved some sort of relevance if you've been moved enough to actively hate them... right?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 01/23/2011 11:02
  • Post subject:
Similar thing here.

I like a lot of music and most albums I rate reasonable. Only have struggled to listen to some music and that results in a negative mark (eg. Londonspeak).
  • Visit poster's website
CellarDoor
Shoe-Punk Loner

France

• Posted: 01/23/2011 12:03
  • Post subject:
My life won't be long enough to listen, read, watch and experience everything I like.

This saddens me.

I'm therefore pretty much biased when I pick something up, and I usually choose something I know I'll probably enjoy (from genres I like, charts I like Wink etc...).
Hence my pretty high ratings.

I don't have time to waste on stuff I don't like...

• Visit poster's website