0%
 0%  [0]
Total Votes : 16

Puncture Repair

• Posted: 03/30/2015 17:28
  • Post subject:
HigherThanTheSun wrote:
Confused

You have a council to look after your local area, MPs actually have very little (no?) legislative power to do anything locally. General elections are very much about voting for which party you want to run the country. Most MPs won't do anything spectacular at westminster but point is they're there to vote hence they decide what parties are in government and who is running the country. It's shitty because you're supposed to be voting for individual candidates to represent your constituency but party politics means you're actually voting for Ed Miliband or David Cameron

EDIT: Ignore me, my understanding of local MPs jobs is wrong.

Last edited by Puncture Repair on 03/30/2015 17:49; edited 1 time in total
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 03/30/2015 17:30
  • Post subject:
Is there anywhere in the UK any significant party political left of Labour?
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 03/30/2015 17:58
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:
Is there anywhere in the UK any significant party political left of Labour?

Depends how you define 'significant'. The SNP are certainly left of Labour, but most people in the UK couldn't vote for them even if they wanted to. Then there's the Greens, who I'll be voting for, but they won't get any more than two seats (and that's an optimistic estimate). So... no, not really. That said, those parties could be crucial in forming a coalition, so... yes, I guess so. As I said, it all depends on how you define 'significant'.
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 03/30/2015 18:04
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
it all depends on how you define 'significant'.

Hmm... let's say, more than 1 percent nationally or regionally? Or historically important and still surviving despite low scores/no will to present candidates (a lot of Trotskyite/4th Internationale parties won't participate in most elections for instance, and will refuse the game, secretly preparing the Revolution) - in France, PC, PG, EELV, and maybe NPA and/or LO could fit the defintion for instance.

Thanks for the answer by the way ! Didn't realise SNP were left-of-the-left, but I'm always biased to believe nationalist parties are, somewhat, dodgy (or totally aberrantly right-of-the-right, like most Basque independantists).

Last edited by Norman Bates on 03/30/2015 18:07; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 03/30/2015 18:07
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
Then there's the Greens, who I'll be voting for, but they won't get any more than two seats (and that's an optimistic estimate)

Growing up I heard the Greens were all about the enviroment. This was a rather simple view to have and getting older I know they have a lot of other views. Still it does play a big part in their whole image.

Like are you a big fan of the enviroment?Wink Or is is because they hold the most views you agree with out of anyone party?
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 03/30/2015 18:08
  • Post subject:
Kiki wrote:

Like are you a big fan of the enviroment?

Skinny is all about the trees, man.
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 03/30/2015 18:20
  • Post subject:
Labour aren't even very left wing since Tony Blair, so even some of the Liberal Democrat's policies are more left of center than Labour's.

But yeah, I'll be voting Green, they've been about more than just the environment for decades, and they're the only party that aren't afraid of appearing clean-cut left wing in the eyes of the public.

Who are you voting for Kiki?
Kiki

• Posted: 03/30/2015 18:31
  • Post subject:
That is between me and the ballot box Puncture Repair Smile That said I do have a lot of choice this year which makes it all the more exciting on the day.
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 03/30/2015 18:42
  • Post subject:
Kiki wrote:
That is between me and the ballot box Puncture Repair Smile That said I do have a lot of choice this year which makes it all the more exciting on the day.

Fair enough. Having choice is lucky, Bristol is a little bit more exciting than my hometown in terms of choice, but Lib Dems will still probably win it. Tbh I can usually see why people don't bother to vote, it's a shame.
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/30/2015 19:39
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
Fair enough. Having choice is lucky, Bristol is a little bit more exciting than my hometown in terms of choice, but Lib Dems will still probably win it. Tbh I can usually see why people don't bother to vote, it's a shame.

I completely forgot you were in Bristol now, hope you like it Very Happy .. I guess you mean Bristol West and yeah lib dems will still take it but greens might manage second. It is annoying how most people's vote in this country mean basically nothing I'd definitely much prefer proportional representation so voting actually means something to anyone not in a marginal seat.

I'm not certain I can really vote green tbh or if they are a bit too mental for me..

I'm thinking a labour minority is probably most likely now. I doubt snp will be able or want to enter coalition and I think libdems would be crazy to as well. I think DC will lose his party's leadership if he doesn't end up PM and same goes for Ed Miliband. Nick Clegg should lose it whatever happens.

Starting to get excited now Very Happy