GARY's argument thread, pertaining to music

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
purple

• Posted: 01/30/2011 17:28
  • Post subject: GARY's argument thread, pertaining to music
Hey everybody, hey GARY. This thread is one dedicated to transferring GARY's arguments outside of the threads in which he starts them and in which they don't belong. We all love to argue (anyone miss jewsom?), but let's do it in the right place.

so, first argument: GARY stated in the "music vs. lyrics" thread something to the gist of "Paul McCartney has more musical talent than Kanye West in his little finger. What instruments does Kanye even play? Kanye lip synchs because he uses auto tune in concert."

the first obvious attack is that autotune can't correspond to lipsynching. it's a vocal effect through a microphone, if you don't sing into the microphone nothing comes out. Ilipsynching with autotune would be like putting tons of distortion and overdrive effects through your guitar, not strumming it, and wondering where the fuck the sounds at. I personally hate autotune, except Kanye actually seems to parody it at the end of Runaway, to the point that you can't hear much else other than "Amy Adams."

Kanye plays on keyboards, samplers, synthesizers, and percussive shit. To you classic rock folk, all these electronics he plays might make you say he's not an instrumentalist, but there has been a multitude of respected electronic albums made using only these. See: Since I Left You, Silent Shout, Trans Europe Express, Discovery, Entroducing..., Madonna's work, Robyn's work, and any decent rap album (Ready to Die, Illmatic).

And lastly, the McCartney vs. Kanye thing is totally subjective. Personally I view Paul as the douche who was responsible for the Beatles break up, and totally the guy who bounced off of John while trying to compete with him. I'm personally a George fan.

what ya think, GARY?
Kiki

• Posted: 01/30/2011 21:18
  • Post subject: Re: GARY's argument thread, pertaining to music
purple wrote:

And lastly, the McCartney vs. Kanye thing is totally subjective. Personally I view Paul as the douche who was responsible for the Beatles break up, and totally the guy who bounced off of John while trying to compete with him. I'm personally a George fan.

what ya think, GARY?

I read somewhere that John Lennon played all his cards right to get Paul McCartney to be portrayed as the antagonist in the dispute.
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 01/30/2011 23:19
  • Post subject:
What do I think Purple? I think your elevator doesn't go all the way to the top.I think that you are out of your tree.And I would say that you are certainly not the sharpest tool in the shed.I don't think you would know real musical tallent even if it bit you in the ass.I think you got picked on a lot in school.I think what's really bothering you is that I tell it like it is and I don't give a shit who likes me.Yes truth hurts doesn't it Purple.Deep down you know I'm often right in what I state about music and you can't stand it.I shater your comfortable little world where your music is the best.Sorry to burst your bubble but most of the so called music today is shit.No I don't come on here to jump on bandwagons and try to get people to like me.Rest assured Paul McCartney has more tallent than Kanye West does.No I'm not slamming Kanye I'm just speaking the truth.I'm glad that your impressed by such a great musician such as the mighty West.After all he's good at pushing buttons and can manage to play 3 chords on a guitar now..WOW! O yes,much more tallent than McCartney,one of the greatest songwriters in history,reguarded as one of the best bass players in history,one of the best vocalists in history and has played at least 40 different instruments on his albums with the Beatles,Wings,and solo projects.Paul,the man that you call a douche,has been knighted by the Queen of England,still rocks after 50 years,and spends millions of his own dollars to help get rid of all the land mines that are still in the ground and blowing off the legs of children who are just playing outside.And it was that crazy bitch Yoko Ono that broke up the Beatles you dolt.Right then McCartney is nothing compared to Kanye West.McCartney,who over the years has made rock music,psychedelic rock,pop,hard rock,experimental rock amoung others.No Paul didn't give a dam about John Lennon.He only wrote Hey Jude for Lennon's son.He cried when he heard Lennon died.I saw the McCaetney on SNL last year.He rocked the house.And he didn't use any autotune or lip sinc.He was jumping up and down and jamming on his bass.AT THE AGE OF 68.Ya,Paul McCartney is just a douche.But only in your little fucked up mind.

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
teodor_matz

• Posted: 01/31/2011 00:27
  • Post subject:
I think we should put GARY and Paul in a room together with an MPC sampler and see how many weeks it takes until they figure out how to turn it on. After we done that we bring back JohnnyRocketFingers, joannajewsom, elston, bc1991 and all the other pretentious super nerds who made this site fun in the first place.
  • Visit poster's website
40footwolf

United States

• Posted: 01/31/2011 01:36
  • Post subject:
The idea that you're untalented unless you play a rock, jazz or classical instrument is infuriating and untrue. My friend Reggie is in a rap group called Panopoly(check them out here if you're so inclined: http://www.ourstage.com/profile/panopoly). When he's not busy in school he's in the studio, sometimes for 12 hours or more a day.

What do you think he's doing in there? Reading Cosmo? No, the guy is working his ass off making beats and writing lyrics and doing as many takes as possible to get the song just right. Just because it's a discipline that one may not necessarily understand or care to learn about does not mean that it is not a discipline.

-John Cassavettes
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 01/31/2011 02:09
  • Post subject:
40footwolf wrote:
The idea that you're untalented unless you play a rock, jazz or classical instrument is infuriating and untrue. My friend Reggie is in a rap group called Panopoly(check them out here if you're so inclined: http://www.ourstage.com/profile/panopoly). When he's not busy in school he's in the studio, sometimes for 12 hours or more a day.

What do you think he's doing in there? Reading Cosmo? No, the guy is working his ass off making beats and writing lyrics and doing as many takes as possible to get the song just right. Just because it's a discipline that one may not necessarily understand or care to learn about does not mean that it is not a discipline.

Who exactly did I call untalented Wolf? Who? NOBODY! What did I say about rap? Did I say people who make rap are lazy or untalented? NO! personally I respect anyone who writes their own lyrics including your friend Reggie.All I did was state my opinion and some FACTS about Paul McCartney because your buddy Purple called him a douche.All I said is that McCartney has more talent.And I'm not the only one who does.It's not a cut on anyone.I think McCartney is more talented than 99% of the musicians I know of.

• Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 01/31/2011 02:19
  • Post subject:
teodor_matz wrote:
I think we should put GARY and Paul in a room together with an MPC sampler and see how many weeks it takes until they figure out how to turn it on. After we done that we bring back JohnnyRocketFingers, joannajewsom, elston, bc1991 and all the other pretentious super nerds who made this site fun in the first place.

As for you Matz who rattled your cage Boy? Isn't it past your bed time? Don't you have to go to school in the morning?.I owned my own recording studio,and can play several instruments,which I have played in several bands.I write lyrics also.I've had bands use my lyrics in songs that were played on the radio.You can take your MPC sampler and cram it straight up your ass you little shitin waste of space,and of my time.

• Visit poster's website

• Posted: 01/31/2011 03:47
  • Post subject:
My dad's bigger than your dad.
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 01/31/2011 04:17
  • Post subject:
[quote="40footwolf"]The idea that you're untalented unless you play a rock, jazz or classical instrument is infuriating and untrue. My friend Reggie is in a rap group called Panopoly(check them out here if you're so inclined: http://www.ourstage.com/profile/panopoly). When he's not busy in school he's in the studio, sometimes for 12 hours or more a day.

O.K. Wolf I listened to all 7 tracks by Panopoly.To be honest their music is better than I was expecting.Personally,After Affect in particular stood out from the others as the most origional,creative and overall best of the 7 that I heard.

• Visit poster's website
bcaie16

Canada

• Posted: 01/31/2011 04:26
  • Post subject:
Gotta side with Gary here. I like Kanye, but it's just not a fair comparison. Paul is an integral part of the greatest thing to happen to popular music, whilst Kanye West is a successful hip hop artist who has made a few decent albums. It's not about genre discrimination, but The Beatles are unparalleled, and by extension so is Paul.
  • Visit poster's website