GARY's argument thread, pertaining to music

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 01/31/2011 04:56
  • Post subject:
bcaie16 wrote:
Gotta side with Gary here. I like Kanye, but it's just not a fair comparison. Paul is an integral part of the greatest thing to happen to popular music, whilst Kanye West is a successful hip hop artist who has made a few decent albums. It's not about genre discrimination, but The Beatles are unparalleled, and by extension so is Paul.

Well put couldn't agree more.McCartney did O.K. after the Beatles also.
Post Beatles McCartney and McCartney and Wings albums =

3X Platinum albums - (1)
2X Platinum albums - (4)
Platinum albums -(9)
Gold albums - (12)

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
bcaie16

Canada

• Posted: 01/31/2011 04:58
  • Post subject:
It's also much too early to juxtapose a young West who is still maturing as a musician and songwriter and McCartney, who is a well established living legend, and expect to get a good result.
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 01/31/2011 05:22
  • Post subject:
bcaie16 wrote:
It's also much too early to juxtapose a young West who is still maturing as a musician and songwriter and McCartney, who is a well established living legend, and expect to get a good result.

O.K. so you say Bcaie.Have you considered the fact that when the Beatles broke up Paul McCartney was only 28 years old? You call Kanye west young even though he's 33 years old.Probably not,but that's cool,I happen to know a good deal about Sir Paul McCartney.Maybe you are unaware,like many of the people on this site may be,that McCartney does also make electronica albums? Ya,he's made 5 of them so far.

Besides the triple platinum album 4 double platinum albums 9 platinum albums and 12 gold albums McCartney has made AFTER THE BEATLES He made 5 classical albums,3 soundtrack albums,5 ELECTRONIC albums,a jazz album and has done colaborations and duets with people like Johnny Cash,Michael Jackson and Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys.McCartney has also been a composer,producer, and session musician for artists like,the Steve Miller Band,James Taylor,Carly Simon,Badfinger,Rod Stewert,Elvis Costello,10cc and many others.

• Visit poster's website
bcaie16

Canada

• Posted: 01/31/2011 05:26
  • Post subject:
No need to get your back up. I am quite well educated on the diverse works of Paul McCartney. The fact that he accomplished all he did with The Beatles before he was 28 is quite remarkable. But it's not just the age of the artist himself, but the music needs to age as well. Certain music, like The Beatles, is timeless and for any comparisons to be made (which I still assert simply can't) his would need to be considered as such in the future.
  • Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 01/31/2011 05:37
  • Post subject:
thanks GARY, this is exactly what I was looking for. what would you like to argue next?
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 01/31/2011 05:44
  • Post subject:
bcaie16 wrote:
No need to get your back up. I am quite well educated on the diverse works of Paul McCartney. The fact that he accomplished all he did with The Beatles before he was 28 is quite remarkable. But it's not just the age of the artist himself, but the music needs to age as well. Certain music, like The Beatles, is timeless and for any comparisons to be made (which I still assert simply can't) his would need to be considered as such in the future.

Ya,right dude,keep telling yourself that shit and maybe it will become real and true.Let's cut to the chase now.Do you honestly think that Kanye West is going to have made as much great music as Paul McCartney has when West is the same age as Paul,68? If you do then I could sell you sand in the middle of the Sahara desert.

• Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 01/31/2011 05:46
  • Post subject:
purple wrote:
thanks GARY, this is exactly what I was looking for. what would you like to argue next?

I don't know Purple,I'm gettin kinda tired.I'm an old hippie and I need my sleep.But I will think of something for next time.

• Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 01/31/2011 08:05
  • Post subject:
GARY i have never said this to anyone in my lifetime (In real life or on the internet) because I love music so much, but it really isn't worth getting this worked up over.
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 01/31/2011 09:36
  • Post subject:
Just to be a pain:

"How does one measure talent?"

I see the talent in Ian Curtis, John Lennon and Stevie Wonder so it does come down to a personal opinion of what is talent. Doesn't it?

Talent isn't record sales; it isn't even critical acclaim. It is subjective.
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 01/31/2011 10:38
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
GARY i have never said this to anyone in my lifetime (In real life or on the internet) because I love music so much, but it really isn't worth getting this worked up over.

I'm too old for all of this stress if I keep it up I'm going to have a heart attack and croak.So yes that seems reasonable to me.But look at how many irons I have in the fire on this one Jhereko.I grew up listening to Beatles albums.I would play them for my friends and they got into them also.So many of my best memories when I look back on those days the Beatles always playing in the background.I guess you could say that the albums that the Beatles made are like soundtracks of my youth for me.Whenever I was feeling down,bored,or lonely I always had John,Paul,George and Ringo there to make things better.So when someone attacks Paul or the Beatles or even Wings,I'm not just defending my favorite music I'm also defending myself because their music is a big part of my past which is part of me.Now be honest Jherico how would you feel if you were an old hippie like me defending myself against a bunch of people,many of whom,are not even half your age?

• Visit poster's website