View previous topic :: View next topic
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 01/31/2011 11:16
  • Post subject:
harkan wrote:
Just to be a pain:

"How does one measure talent?"

I see the talent in Ian Curtis, John Lennon and Stevie Wonder so it does come down to a personal opinion of what is talent. Doesn't it?

Talent isn't record sales; it isn't even critical acclaim. It is subjective.

Your not being a pain your telling it like it is.The only reason I brought up McCartney's record sales was to point out that he has had a great deal of success after he was no longer a Beatle and was just McCartney on his own.I wanted to ffind a quick and simple way,as I was falling asleep,to show that even without the Beatles in his repertoire McCartney has a very impressive resume.But you are correct record sales is not critical acclaim(Thank God) The funny thing is though,you mention critical acclaim.But when I listed the critical acclaim of 30 other successful artists and prominent people who praised the Beatles as the best on the Radiohead vs Beatles thread,I was told that wasn't fair either.Like I've stated before.Everything seems relevent on this site if it puts bands like Radiohead on top.Like O.K. computer being ranked #1 and it's fair to compare that album to Johnny cash and Fiona Apple and jazz and country and everything else.But when I went to great lengths comparing the Beatles songs and albums to those of Radiohead.Everyone jumped all over me saying"that's not fair you can't do that" I just wanted to add that I consider Stevie Wonder one of the all time greats also.The first 45 record (hey I'm old) I bought as a boy was Sir Duke off of Souns In The Key Of Life in 1977.Stevie Wonder is amazing and I place him along with Paul McCartney and a few others at the top of music's greatest artists.But,O ya that's right,I can't compare like that.We are on the Greatest Albums Ever site to exchange cooking recipes.My bad.

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
bcaie16

Canada

• Posted: 01/31/2011 16:54
  • Post subject:
GARY wrote:
bcaie16 wrote:
No need to get your back up. I am quite well educated on the diverse works of Paul McCartney. The fact that he accomplished all he did with The Beatles before he was 28 is quite remarkable. But it's not just the age of the artist himself, but the music needs to age as well. Certain music, like The Beatles, is timeless and for any comparisons to be made (which I still assert simply can't) his would need to be considered as such in the future.

Ya,right dude,keep telling yourself that shit and maybe it will become real and true.Let's cut to the chase now.Do you honestly think that Kanye West is going to have made as much great music as Paul McCartney has when West is the same age as Paul,68? If you do then I could sell you sand in the middle of the Sahara desert.

Alright last time I checked I was arguing in favour of your opinion. I'm just trying to be objective and account for everyone's musical tastes, not just my own. The Beatles are my favourite group of all time, and always will be. But this doesn't give me a right to dismiss others without consideration.
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 01/31/2011 17:30
  • Post subject:
Alright last time I checked I was arguing in favour of your opinion. I'm just trying to be objective and account for everyone's musical tastes, not just my own. The Beatles are my favourite group of all time, and always will be. But this doesn't give me a right to dismiss others without consideration.[/quote]

When did I dismiss any artist? Never.My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is ranked #243 overall on this site.Does that mean the people on here have dismissed Kanye West.No.It just means they have good taste in music.Stevie Wonder is in the same league as Paul McCartney.Kanye West is not.

• Visit poster's website
CellarDoor
Shoe-Punk Loner

France

• Posted: 01/31/2011 17:33
  • Post subject:
So much fun goes on when this side of the Atlantic is sleeping.

Last edited by CellarDoor on 01/31/2011 19:06; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 01/31/2011 17:56
  • Post subject:
GARY wrote:
Jhereko wrote:
GARY i have never said this to anyone in my lifetime (In real life or on the internet) because I love music so much, but it really isn't worth getting this worked up over.

I'm too old for all of this stress if I keep it up I'm going to have a heart attack and croak.So yes that seems reasonable to me.But look at how many irons I have in the fire on this one Jhereko.I grew up listening to Beatles albums.I would play them for my friends and they got into them also.So many of my best memories when I look back on those days the Beatles always playing in the background.I guess you could say that the albums that the Beatles made are like soundtracks of my youth for me.Whenever I was feeling down,bored,or lonely I always had John,Paul,George and Ringo there to make things better.So when someone attacks Paul or the Beatles or even Wings,I'm not just defending my favorite music I'm also defending myself because their music is a big part of my past which is part of me.Now be honest Jherico how would you feel if you were an old hippie like me defending myself against a bunch of people,many of whom,are not even half your age?

no thats a good point and you argue it eloquently. But surely you must see this also would be the story of a lot of people who are passionate about Radiohead and can't understand exactly what a band of 40 years old means? They grew up putting on OK Computer or Kid A for the first time and just being absolutely destroyed by the albums, I myself unfortunately at the time of Ok Computer's release was listening to Spice Girls and Vengaboys but thats another story, nevertheless I had the same reaction when I listened to OK Computer for the first time. Of course the same thing happened when i first listened to Peppers though I understand this didnt happen to everyone. I don't think I or anyone else in my generation will ever truly understand just what 'beatlemania' was like (our loss i'm guessing) but we have to live our own music history, for instance last year all the hype Kanye was creating for "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" and when I first blasted my speakers with it at 9pm at night (sorry neighbours), I hope I never forget that. My point is we can't simply remove ourselves from what we know of music. In the "beatles vs Radiohead" thread I completely sided with the Beatles camp (even though I love Radiohead) for logical, objective reasons but emotionally i can never have the story you have with the Beatles (again my loss) and will have to stick to releases in my lifetime (i.e. the overnight release of 'In Rainbows') for that type of musical connection. As for defending yourself against people half your age maybe come from a standpoint of IMO more often and try to be less antagonistic (like calling people crazy) because you've made some really good points in your posts, it's just not always easy to tell. But hey this whole post is in my opinion Smile
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 02/01/2011 18:31
  • Post subject:
Very well said, Jhereko.

And now for something completely different:

Link
  • Visit poster's website
maxperenchio

• Posted: 02/01/2011 21:07
  • Post subject:
I love the fact that Gary is rustling feathers around here. God knows this place needed it. It's also great that Gary prefers Judas Priest over bullshit cerebral indie music, again well needed around here.

But please, Gary, for me -- break up your fucking paragraphs man, and maybe start using your space bar. <- Look- you can use like TWO spaces after a period, if you want. Or just one. I CAN'T LIVE LIKE THIS ANYMORE
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 02/02/2011 08:55
  • Post subject:
maxperenchio wrote:
But please, Gary, for me -- break up your fucking paragraphs man, and maybe start using your space bar. <- Look- you can use like TWO spaces after a period, if you want. Or just one. I CAN'T LIVE LIKE THIS ANYMORE

Thankyou max. I was going to suggest that but I do enough of it teaching high school students.
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 02/02/2011 13:28
  • Post subject:
harkan wrote:
maxperenchio wrote:

Thankyou max. I was going to suggest that but I do enough of it teaching high school students.

Thank God your not a music teacher Harkan

• Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 02/02/2011 14:30
  • Post subject:
Gary, have you noticed that you don't take criticism, constructive or otherwise, very well? Shocked
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website