BEA's Year-End List Extra: The Most Controversial Albums

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 02/11/2015 17:50
  • Post subject: BEA's Year-End List Extra: The Most Controversial Albums
As an add-on to the main list, I wanted to make note of the albums that would have made our top 10 in a world without negative votes. As much as some folks loved these albums, others apparently disliked them with the same intensity. To excite that kind of passion in listeners is still something special, so I think I would be remiss to leave them unmentioned.

As before, I will be presenting one album per day to allow time for discussion, but this time I'll just be putting them in one thread (this one).

Run The Jewels 2 by Run The Jewels

Positive votes: 6
Negative votes: 3
Net points: +33
Rank w/positive votes only: 7

Hayden wrote:
I love Killer Mike, I think he's a fantastic lyricist, but I've never been a fan of El-P's production. I think I've given RTJ and RTJ2 7/10's or something. They're good, but they just don't click with me. I prefer Killer Mike's solo work by a long shot. I'm also not a fan of Company Flow, Cannibal Ox or El-P's solo work... so I think it has something to do with his style of production. I prefer RAP Music to either of their releases.

There isn't a lot that I take from Run The Jewels apart from their excellent sense of humour (mostly outside the music though), the energy they bring, and the occasional good verse from Killer Mike.

RockyRaccoon wrote:
If you liked their debut album, you’ll like this album without a doubt. Killer Mike and El-P are a near-perfect duo, with one rarely outshining the other, an excellent balance. Where this album is full of bravado and one-upmanship, it’s also full of anger and resentment. Sure, there’s the usual trash-talking “I’m better than you” stuff here, but Killer Mike and El-P aren’t afraid to talk about real issues, this isn’t all a peacocking contest. Take, for example, “Early”, a piece about police violence, brutality and the targeting of minorities. Run The Jewels provide an interesting perspective, with Killer Mike lamenting the view of the marginalized black man and El-P taking the perspective of the white man in a similar situation. All of this is surrounded by fantastic production throughout the album, this isn’t an album to get complacent with, it’s an album that’s keeps you listening.

Last edited by sp4cetiger on 02/12/2015 15:30; edited 1 time in total
MrIrrelevant

United States

• Posted: 02/11/2015 18:54
  • Post subject:
This makes sense to me. Lots of variance on this one and Benji. Personally, I've been low on both RtJs, but I get the love for it. Expecting Benji to have the most variance.
  • Visit poster's website
dmercado

United States

• Posted: 02/11/2015 18:54
  • Post subject:
This was one of my favorite albums of this past year. It's a tour-de-force with killer lyrics and tight production. It's fire, it will literally cause your headphones to burst into flames. RockyRaccoon up there says it like it is.

My Charts at http://www.besteveralbums.com/usercharts.php?u=27982

My Radio Show at http://www.facebook.com/tender.wmbr
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 02/11/2015 19:29
  • Post subject:
Frankly it's a good record. Not special, but good and fun, it secured a couple of cool listens at my place. I can only suppose the people who were antagonistic were seeing it coming that it was going to be the best ranked rap album of the year, and if you're a purist (which I'm not, but I never would have voted for this record although I quite liked it) you're going to be very pissed at this being ranked above, say, Piñata.

I dunno, my 2 cents.
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 02/11/2015 19:42
  • Post subject:
Fond but not in love. I think Norman may have hit the nail on the head with the motivation behind some of the negative votes on this one.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/11/2015 19:45
  • Post subject:
My quote in the original post still sums up my thoughts. It's just an ok-good-average hip-hop release in my eyes.

I've given it three full listens, and the tracks individually occasionally.. but, I'm just not getting into it. Same thing happened with their first album.

I really want to love it, but I just don't.
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 02/12/2015 15:26
  • Post subject:

Lost In The Dream by The War On Drugs

Positive votes: 4
Negative votes: 9
Net points: -85
Rank w/positive votes only: 5

RockyRaccoon wrote:
Man, I don’t even know where to start with this album. It’s a blend of so many great things to make one coherent album that’s just fantastic. It exudes the powerful passion that bombastic Bruce Springsteen albums had, it has the wall of sound power of neo-psychedelia and dream pop, and often times lead singer Adam Granduciel sings with a cadence that sounds exactly like Dire Straits’ Mark Knopfler. Everything about this album is expertly crafted, the composition, the lyrics, everything. This album can relax you, it can hit you with power and it can depress you. The songwriting is superb and the music is just fantastic. I can’t emphasize enough how much of an overall enjoyable listen this is.

WindowAbove wrote:
I have no idea how the beer commercial lead guitar band got so popular, it sounds like Dire Straits/Linsey Buckingham and all the songs are twice as long as they need to be

Gowienczyk wrote:
One of the records that have continued to refuse to budge from the list and it’s probably one of the more straight-up records of the bunch. I’m generally not a huge fan of the styles that Adam Granduciel’s band drives, so there is a great variety of sensibilities here that make me not really think about it usually not being my thing when this certainly is my thing. I’ve never heard any music by The War on Drugs before and if this is my introduction to their catalogue than this journey is going to be incredible if they are even as half as good.

sp4cetiger wrote:
War on Drugs sound like a bunch of guys who've never had any real problems and just enjoy making shallow-but-slightly-artsy indie rock.

RepoMan wrote:
WoD were a force to be reckoned with this year. It's the album of the year for all my NON-music-head friends by far. Sort of like Yankee Hotel Foxtrot back in 2002. Even though it's not my thing, it does what it's trying to do perfectly. Even a hard rock snob like myself has to give it grudging respect.
Saoirse

• Posted: 02/12/2015 15:37
  • Post subject:

Lost In The Dream by The War On Drugs

Mark Kozelek wrote:
War on Drugs: Suck my Cock

Man Im a white guy but they're the whitest band out there
goeie-oko

Netherlands

• Posted: 02/12/2015 15:47
  • Post subject:
wow, this was downvoted a lot, I actually really liked the album
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 02/12/2015 15:57
  • Post subject:
Those are the two I downvoted. They were far from my least favourite records of the year - I was just bored of seeing them in AOTY lists