Could there be a second wave of grunge?

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
JMan

• Posted: 02/18/2015 22:30
  • Post subject: Could there be a second wave of grunge?
A topic from RYM. Do you think it could happen?

This does not include post-grunge.

Personally, I think grunge was more about a kind of teen attitude that was growing during the 90's, and that attitude's gone and replaced with... this.

Link

I don't think a second grunge wave will happen, not that there aren't any good acts these days.
WindowAbove

United States

• Posted: 02/18/2015 22:35
  • Post subject:
Probably some nostalgiacore indie bands will start doing it like they're doing with midwest-emo/punk and did 80s synthpop revival some years back but no rock genre will ever reach mainstream popularity again.
  • Visit poster's website
babyBlueSedan
Used to be sort of blind, now can sort of see

United States

• Posted: 02/18/2015 22:53
  • Post subject:
Grunge was a genre defined as much by time and location as it was by sound. Even today people will argue if Bush or Stone Temple Pilots are grunge since they're not from Seattle. Plus there's no need for it - grunge was a reaction to over the top hair metal bands and without a popular form of rock music to rebel against it wouldn't really have a driving force behind it. Grunge is such a narrow category that there's very little room for it to grow, and any band that tries to be a grunge band will just try to sound like your typical late 80s / early 90s hard rock band, and nostalgia bands are pretty pointless in my opinion (see: Wolfmother).

I could see a rock genre becoming mainstream, but only a watered down version (like post grunge or whatever Imagine Dragons are considered).
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 02/18/2015 22:56
  • Post subject:
It's called Oceangrunge, and it is so 2014
Precedent

• Posted: 02/18/2015 23:06
  • Post subject:
i sure hope not
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 02/18/2015 23:08
  • Post subject:
Isn't Drake grunge?
Precedent

• Posted: 02/18/2015 23:15
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
Isn't Drake grunge?

let's ask JMan

what do you say, JMan?
JMan

• Posted: 02/18/2015 23:21
  • Post subject:
babyBlueSedan wrote:
Grunge was a genre defined as much by time and location as it was by sound. Even today people will argue if Bush or Stone Temple Pilots are grunge since they're not from Seattle. Plus there's no need for it - grunge was a reaction to over the top hair metal bands and without a popular form of rock music to rebel against it wouldn't really have a driving force behind it. Grunge is such a narrow category that there's very little room for it to grow, and any band that tries to be a grunge band will just try to sound like your typical late 80s / early 90s hard rock band, and nostalgia bands are pretty pointless in my opinion (see: Wolfmother).

I could see a rock genre becoming mainstream, but only a watered down version (like post grunge or whatever Imagine Dragons are considered).

This makes a lot of sense. I can agree with you except...

babyBlueSedan wrote:
Grunge is such a narrow category that there's very little room for it to grow

Grunge goes very well with a lot of genres, and it can be used for a lot. I've heard albums mixing grunge with these genres:

acoustic rock, alternative rock (a given), alternative metal, garage rock, garage punk, glam rock, heavy metal, indie rock, metalcore, midwest emo, neo-psychedelia, noise pop, noise rock, psychedelic rock, post-hardcore, punk, riot girl, rock & roll, shoegaze, ... and believe it or not... folk. Check out Louisiana by Goncalo Porta Nova. There have even been albums combining grunge with power pop. And Paw carries Southern rock influence.

I think there's a lot people can do with grunge. And don't take my word for it. Check the genre labels on RYM for grunge albums.

...and I've never even heard Drake's music, but I doubt there are many hip hop grunge artists.

Last edited by JMan on 02/18/2015 23:24; edited 2 times in total
WindowAbove

United States

• Posted: 02/18/2015 23:22
  • Post subject:
I don't get the "grunge" label. The big four bands all sounded different from each other, like they don't really have anything in common except they're alternative rock bands from Seattle. It's like if you called Chance the Rapper and Vic Mensa drill just because they're new Chicago rappers.
  • Visit poster's website
Saoirse

• Posted: 02/18/2015 23:23
  • Post subject:
JMan gets much brownie points for somehow connecting grunge with "All About that Bass", a true Un Chien Andalou connection.

But to answer the question, no, except for yes the usual cross-generation nostalgia acts that are already creeping up, but won't dominate the mainstream like grunge did in the early 90s.