iTunes Sucks

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
HyperBully

United States

• Posted: 02/07/2011 03:01
  • Post subject: iTunes Sucks
I know most of you probably use iTunes, but I personally can't stand it. I hate how it only supports WAV, AIFF, MP3, AAC and Apple Lossless when I primarily use FLAC. I hate how it is totally uncustomizable. I hate how everything is controlled by Apple, who constantly try to make me buy things from the iTunes Store, which I never buy from. I hate how the software is totally bloated and devours my computer's memory. I hate how it takes forever to download the massive installation file and is a chore to update. I hate how Apple forces you to install QuickTime to use it, and constantly nags you to install other Apple software like Safari. I hate how a major piece of software by a major company used by millions crashes every time I attempt to use it, and is inferior to just about every less popular music player by much smaller developers I've ever used. The best alternative I've come across is, by far, foobar2000. Every problem mentioned above with iTunes is solved with foobar, and then some. I'm sure the reason most of you stick with iTunes is because of the iPod, but fear not. An excellent component for foobar called iPod Manager (foo_dop) actually offers superior iPod syncing than iTunes itself. One of the coolest features is the ability to automatically convert unsupported files (such as FLAC) to an iPod-supported format (such as MP3) while you sync, so you don't have to keep multiple copies of the same songs on your hard drive. It truly is the greatest piece of music software I've ever come across, and I vow never to use iTunes again. This little rant may lead you to believe I am spamming, but I have no relation to foobar2000's developer whatsoever, nor do I get any sort of monetary gain for sharing this software with you. I just wanted to encourage all of you (who use Windows) to save yourselves from Apple control and switch to foobar2000, which can be downloaded for free at http://www.foobar2000.org. If you for some reason have an argument that iTunes or any other music player is superior or have any other comments, please offer your thoughts.
  • Visit poster's website
thomas697

Australia

• Posted: 02/07/2011 04:00
  • Post subject:
I'm glad you wrote that. I hate iTunes aswell

About 4 years ago someone introduced me to iTunes and I thought it sucked then. I then vowed that I would never use it or download it because its the most rubbish music player I have ever used. If it wasn't for my iPod I never would have downloaded it.

I hate how you have to buy music covers or download TuneUp. But I have a solution to that .. I put all my music into windows media player and past album art there. then I copy my music over to iTunes after that. It's time consuming I know, but i'm really not interested in buying album art.

I also hate how it crashes too. It really is a useless program.

I'll have a look into your link and get back to you
jbarajas

United States

• Posted: 02/07/2011 04:48
  • Post subject:
Itunes works great for me, it has never crashed, i can easily download torrents and open them on itunes, and i can just copy album art from the internet. Yea i cant open FLAC's but there are lots of torrents in MP3 format... So I think its the greatest music player. And best of all its free!
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 02/07/2011 07:09
  • Post subject:
yeah i'm a "wmp" kinda guy. i don't know whether people think that's any better than itunes but i certainly do. I've tried quite a few different media players to try and find the right one: windows media player, itunes, winamp, media monkey, songbird etc. and wmp is by far the best and itunes by far the worst (to me at least).
HyperBully

United States

• Posted: 02/07/2011 22:11
  • Post subject:
jbarajas wrote:
Itunes works great for me, it has never crashed, i can easily download torrents and open them on itunes, and i can just copy album art from the internet. Yea i cant open FLAC's but there are lots of torrents in MP3 format... So I think its the greatest music player. And best of all its free!

I don't think you quite understand the reason people use FLAC. It's not because FLAC is more easily found in torrents (not even true), it's because FLAC, unlike MP3, is a lossless format. In other words, you don't lose any quality in the process of ripping a CD to FLAC. If you rip a CD to MP3, especially at a lower bitrate like 128k, you lose a lot of quality. This is a topic for another forum, however. Just because iTunes is free does not make it the best. Every other player mentioned here is free, and all are superior to iTunes in more ways than just one.

Last edited by HyperBully on 02/07/2011 22:15; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
HyperBully

United States

• Posted: 02/07/2011 22:15
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
yeah i'm a "wmp" kinda guy. i don't know whether people think that's any better than itunes but i certainly do. I've tried quite a few different media players to try and find the right one: windows media player, itunes, winamp, media monkey, songbird etc. and wmp is by far the best and itunes by far the worst (to me at least).

WMP is good, and is certainly a lot better than iTunes and, to me at least, WinAmp and the other players you mentioned. (I used to use WinAmp, but it's gotten pretty bloated too ever since it was bought by AOL.) But you didn't mention trying foobar2000. I strongly encourage you to give it a try. It's even better than WMP, and you can do a lot more with it. If you're completely happy with the convenience of WMP, however, I see no reason to make the switch. At least you're not using iTunes.
  • Visit poster's website
RedJonny7

Italy

• Posted: 02/08/2011 18:49
  • Post subject:
i DON'T KNOW WHY YOU SAY THAT ON ITUNES YOU'VE GOT TO BUY ALBUM ART.. I DON'T BUY THEM, I GET THEM FROM INTERNET!
  • Visit poster's website
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 02/09/2011 00:08
  • Post subject:
RedJonny7 wrote:
i DON'T KNOW WHY YOU SAY THAT ON ITUNES YOU'VE GOT TO BUY ALBUM ART.. I DON'T BUY THEM, I GET THEM FROM INTERNET!

Yeah, that's news to me too. I thought album art came with the purchase. Also, when I rip a CD, I ask Itunes to retrieve the album art and it doesn't cost anything. Although occasionally, it finds the wrong album art and that's annoying. Wait. Are you talking about a CD insert?
  • Visit poster's website
mooseboy101

Switzerland

• Posted: 02/09/2011 03:45
  • Post subject: Re: iTunes Sucks
HyperBully wrote:
Every problem mentioned above with iTunes is solved with foobar
Do you know how to add album artwork to songs in foobar?
HyperBully

United States

• Posted: 02/11/2011 00:47
  • Post subject: Re: iTunes Sucks
mooseboy101 wrote:
HyperBully wrote:
Every problem mentioned above with iTunes is solved with foobar
Do you know how to add album artwork to songs in foobar?

Yup. Simply download the album art from the internet and put the image file in the folder where you keep the songs. This saves space and is better for organization than iTunes' embedding (copy & paste) method, and gives you more choice over what you want the album art to be. This can also be done automatically with a free tool called Album Art Downloader XUI, which has a "foobar browser" which scans your foobar2000 library and automatically downloads the artwork for each album to the directories where the songs are stored. For more information, see the following links:

http://www.foobar2000.org (foobar2000 official website, which has a nice FAQ and links to download a number of essential components)

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php...loader_XUI (Link with information about Album Art Downloader XUI and download link. The rest of the Wiki includes a number of other helpful articles on how to properly setup foobar2000.)
  • Visit poster's website