Rating System concern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
meruizh

Mexico

• Posted: 03/02/2015 22:20
  • Post subject: Rating System concern
I've noticed a user that has over 6,500 ratings below de 15/100 mark. I believed it was kind of annoying at first but when I saw he rated albums which havent even come out yet, I realized he is just fucking with the rating system.

Is there any way to control this kind of behavior. I tend to look at the overall ratings before I decide if I check an album or not, but the newer albums get killed with this ratings. Not inferring you cant be allowed to give 10/100 to an album, but when 80% of your ratings are below this, something is wrong.
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 03/02/2015 23:50
  • Post subject: Re: Rating System concern
meruizh wrote:
I've noticed a user that has over 6,500 ratings below de 15/100 mark. I believed it was kind of annoying at first but when I saw he rated albums which havent even come out yet, I realized he is just fucking with the rating system.

Is there any way to control this kind of behavior. I tend to look at the overall ratings before I decide if I check an album or not, but the newer albums get killed with this ratings. Not inferring you cant be allowed to give 10/100 to an album, but when 80% of your ratings are below this, something is wrong.

I think ratings ought to be normalized to account both for trolls and for people's differing arbitrary valuation. But that'd be a rather large change to the current system.
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 03/03/2015 00:18
Defago wrote:
I think ratings ought to be normalized to account both for trolls and for people's differing arbitrary valuation. But that'd be a rather large change to the current system.

or we could just ban platus and get it over with
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 03/03/2015 00:28
dividesbyzero wrote:
or we could just ban platus and get it over with

But but mah general statements
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 03/03/2015 00:43
  • Post subject:
I noticed this and pm'd the person and they said it was a way of keeping track of stuff they intended to listen to (the 10/100, at least). I dunno 4,000 albums is probably a lot to get thru but maybe they weren't trying to game the system? Can a single low rating on an album really effect the overall score all that much?

I probably have a sort of opposite problem, I'm way more loose with my 100s than most people seem to be, and the less I like something the less incentive I have to quantify it or remember it's name so my scores are mostly very high. But it's really coming from a sincere place tho, once I hit a certain threshold of enjoyment, quantifying that enjoyment just feels impossible.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 03/03/2015 00:46
  • Post subject:
secretdad wrote:
I noticed this and pm'd the person and they said it was a way of keeping track of stuff they intended to listen to (the 10/100, at least). I dunno 4,000 albums is probably a lot to get thru but maybe they weren't trying to game the system? Can a single low rating on an album really effect the overall score all that much?

I probably have a sort of opposite problem, I'm way more loose with my 100s than most people seem to be, and the less I like something the less incentive I have to quantify it or remember it's name so my scores are mostly very high. But it's really coming from a sincere place tho, once I hit a certain threshold of enjoyment, quantifying that enjoyment just feels impossible.

Shouldn't they use their wishlist instead of rating it absolutely?
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 03/03/2015 00:49
  • Post subject:
secretdad wrote:
I noticed this and pm'd the person and they said it was a way of keeping track of stuff they intended to listen to (the 10/100, at least). .

I have a custom chart for that purpose, but I guess it depends on rank (and how much you have to listen to). Maybe a mechanism for creating a "To Listen" list would be a good addition, though.

EDIT: Oh, I haven't tried the wish list feature actually. Will do that.
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 03/03/2015 01:34
  • Post subject:
Nobody should be using the rating system for any other reason than to rate albums. Using the wish list is the recommended/intended way for people to track albums they are interested in, but using a custom chart is not a bad alternative. People have been banned for trying to game the site in the past and their ratings removed as the site has to be kept as clean as possible for the benefit of everybody else.
  • Visit poster's website
nachosbob

United States

• Posted: 03/03/2015 01:41
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
Nobody should be using the rating system for any other reason than to rate albums. Using the wish list is the recommended/intended way for people to track albums they are interested in, but using a custom chart is not a bad alternative. People have been banned for trying to game the site in the past and their ratings removed as the site has to be kept as clean as possible for the benefit of everybody else.

So can you just ban platus and LosWochos?

Memo to myself:
Do the dumb things I gotta do
Touch the puppet head
  • Visit poster's website
latenighttv

• Posted: 03/03/2015 02:27
  • Post subject:
nachosbob wrote:
So can you just ban platus and LosWochos?

LosWochos is a good guy, no?

I think there's a user called danwright252 who joined a month or two back and rated a few hundred albums 10 or 15 out of 100... wouldn't mind seeing those ratings deleted, tbh.
  • Visit poster's website