The King of Limbs

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
mulidorerik

United States

• Posted: 02/16/2011 07:08
  • Post subject: The King of Limbs
Some are saying it will save the music industry. Maybe the most hyped and anticipated Radiohead album ever, it is rumored to only contain eight very long tracks. What are your thoughts?
  • Visit poster's website
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 02/16/2011 10:44
  • Post subject:
Maybe I missed something but how is it saving the music industry?

I like the idea of the newspaper packaging. Something different.

I would always like more tracks from Radiohead but I guess 8 good tracks will be decent enough.
  • Visit poster's website
mulidorerik

United States

• Posted: 02/16/2011 17:42
  • Post subject:
I just read this information in various articles and forums. It's all speculation.
  • Visit poster's website
HyperBully

United States

• Posted: 02/17/2011 03:15
  • Post subject:
I too am wondering how, exactly, it will "save the music industry." I'm sure it will be great and original as most all Radiohead albums are, but people have made it clear that they're not interested in great and original music anymore, and the record companies will continue to give them what they want - more garbage, Justin Bieber-type pop singles, more and more released exclusively through iTunes/digital downloads and with worse and worse production and sound quality, until the album as we know it is dead, and what's left is nothing but compressed, generic pop MP3s. A bleak outlook? Certainly, but we're kidding ourselves if we pretend that isn't the direction the music industry is headed in, because it is, and we're also kidding ourselves if we pretend a new Radiohead album is going to magically save us from it, no matter how awesome and creative it may be.
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 02/18/2011 01:04
  • Post subject:
The music industry is on life support. I don't totaly blame the record companies because they are just giving people what they seem to want. Or what 12 year old girls want at least. IMO they have been churning out shit music for at least 10 years now and probably more like 15. Why, because people buy the shit music it's that simple. People haven't cared, as a whole, in the quality of the lyrics or how good the drumming is or can't wait for the next great guitar solo. There really aren't any more. Hate me all you want but I don't even like radiohead. So it would be impossible for them to save music for me. Why would I listen to the garbage they are calling music today when there is still plenty of music from the 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's that I have yet to hear. I mean, even an average song from those decades is better than what it considered great new music today. I'm just telling it like it is. And I by no means am the only one who feels this way. Even teenagers are saying that they like older music better.

What I'm confused about is the big deal being made about Radiohead using newspaper packaging. Umm who gives a rat's ass what it comes wrapped in? It's the music that matters for Chrizzakes. Led Zeppelin released an album in 1979 in a brown paper bag. And in small lettering in the corner it said simply In Through The Out Door. You can wrap a Radiohead album in whatever you want. But unless it's wrapped in gold I'm not going to spend my money on it.

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
40footwolf

United States

• Posted: 02/18/2011 02:39
  • Post subject:
GARY wrote:
I mean, even an average song from those decades is better than what it considered great new music today.

Legit question, no snark: Have you actually heard much music from the past ten years, or ventured to explore that which the radio could not present to you? Because I'm a huge classic rock guy also and the '00s are my second favorite decade for music.

-John Cassavettes
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 02/18/2011 03:08
  • Post subject:
40footwolf wrote:
GARY wrote:
I mean, even an average song from those decades is better than what it considered great new music today.

Legit question, no snark: Have you actually heard much music from the past ten years, or ventured to explore that which the radio could not present to you? Because I'm a huge classic rock guy also and the '00s are my second favorite decade for music.

It was just my opinion Wolf. Yes, since I've been coming on this site I have found out about newer music and I have found some that I really like. For example, Arctic Monkeys, I have now listened to their 3 albums and I even put Humbug on my chart. I've tried, I really have, to like Radiohead. But as it turns out I have only found 1 song that I would consider a classic, a few that are good, and then a bunch of cry in your beer poor old me shit. Again, just my opinion. As far as the radio I haven't listened to the radio in many years. And I gave up on MTV and VH1 a long time ago. To be honest about how I really feel overall about the music of today. Well, It seems like they are trying to annoy me with seeing how bad they can play insruments and how little meaning they can put in their lyrics and how monotonous they can manage to be when they regurgitate the words to their trivial and self centered songs that have absolutely no message in them. I tried listening to the Strokes and almost had one. They gave me a headache. I have the White stripes on my chart but now I guess they are no more. I haven't given up yet on music as I will keep searching for the next Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Who, Stones, Beatles, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Queen, Aerosmith, Styx, Alan Parsons, AC/DC, Rush, David Bowie, Bob Seger, Van Halen, Police, Deep Purple, Kinks, Doors, Yes, Genesis, Metallica or Judas Priest. Just haven't found anybody even close to their level in a long time.

• Visit poster's website
40footwolf

United States

• Posted: 02/18/2011 08:06
  • Post subject:
Those are all bands from a very specific era, with a very specific sound. That may seem painfully obvious, but what I'm trying to say is that that style isn't really actively made any more, and you're looking for a sound that just isn't there. The '00s doesn't sound like the '70s in any way, shape or form-there are good things about that and there are bad things about that, but if the sound of music was stuck in the '67-'78 era for all time then that would be even worse. Music changes, and ears either change with it or stay in the past. That's not a knock on your taste, mind-we share many favorite bands in common. I'm saying that perhaps you might want to change what you're looking for in order to get the prime cut of the last 10 or 15 years.

(I'm not the biggest Radiohead fan either, btw, so I'm not sticking up for them specifically but for the past decade as a whole)

-John Cassavettes
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 02/18/2011 08:21
  • Post subject:
40footwolf wrote:
Those are all bands from a very specific era, with a very specific sound. That may seem painfully obvious, but what I'm trying to say is that that style isn't really actively made any more, and you're looking for a sound that just isn't there. The '00s doesn't sound like the '70s in any way, shape or form-there are good things about that and there are bad things about that, but if the sound of music was stuck in the '67-'78 era for all time then that would be even worse. Music changes, and ears either change with it or stay in the past. That's not a knock on your taste, mind-we share many favorite bands in common. I'm saying that perhaps you might want to change what you're looking for in order to get the prime cut of the last 10 or 15 years.

(I'm not the biggest Radiohead fan either, btw, so I'm not sticking up for them specifically but for the past decade as a whole)

I guess you are right about me looking for a sound that isn't there anymore. Makes sense. But I have hope still that my ears will accept new music. I think Humbug from Arctic Monkeys stacks up well against anything I've heard before. It sounds like it could have been made many years ago but it's new and a little different. I want to like new music so I will keep searching high and low for the good stuff.

• Visit poster's website
thomas697

Australia

• Posted: 02/18/2011 08:48
  • Post subject:
What do you think of Sigur Ros Gary? their first album has a timeless sound.