Why a separate 'religion & politics' forum?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 02/19/2011 17:40
  • Post subject:
I swear you guys are just trolling now. Brick wall

Censorship would imply that we give no place for your views, or that we modify the text after you post. Neither of which are true in the slightest.

You have a completely open forum here to discuss whatever you want. I find the whole thing ridiculous.
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 02/19/2011 17:44
  • Post subject:
@RFNAPLES.. I did not want to continue the conversation in the other thread (in Lounge) because it would just defeat the purpose of creating a separate forum for this kind of - "heated" - discussion. The thing is, most people here (at least I think so), are relatively apolitical (you guys are talking about "not wanting to hear the truth", which is just about the biggest bullshit I've read here), and do not want to discuss politics on these forums.. Considering yours and Gary's "agressive" way of arguing, the discussion just becomes unpleasant, which is why I support albummaster's decision to create a separate forum. Those who do not wish to participate in these discussions, and I am sure there are many, will stay out, while others will keep it going... You haven't been censored, banned (and I'll repeat, there are many forums, where you would be), your posts haven't been deleted, so I really don't know why do you feel so insulted.

I understand what you wanted to show with bumping those threads in Lounge, but surely you understand the difference between one or two "political" images popping up every once in a while in a thread, and an entire thread, dedicated to somebody's right-wing (or left wing) agenda..

I also understand, that it is difficult to moderate this entire message board, so this kind of heated conversations will eventually come up elsewhere (for example, it already did today in "King of Limbs" thread) but they are far more likely to occur in a thread concerning politics and religion, than anywhere else, which is why I think albummaster's decision was the right one (step in a right direction, if you will).. And this is not the only message board where this is the case, for example rateyourmusic also separates political forum to the other "off topic" threads.

I think albummaster has been very patient with some of the people here, (you know who I mean), but you have to realise that even this forum has some rules, which could effectively see you banned. Here are two of them:

[1]Please show members a bit of respect when you leave comments. It is fine to have debate, but name-calling and hurling insults just because they have a different point of view is not. Persistent violation of this rule may result in being banned from this site.

[3]Please mind your language. Nobody minds the odd swear word, but whole sentences full of them is not acceptable.

There had been plenty of posts, which violated those two rules (mostly, but not only, in threads about politics and religion) and I'm not surprised that there have been complaints. I wasn't one of those that complained, but I agree with the "separation", and I hope it will lead to "calmer, lighter" discussions in Lounge, which I guess is why it's there.

Also, "Back in the days, we used to...." is just about the lamest excuse you can give for behaving like an asshole.

I'm sorry if this post offended someone, and I'm sorry for possible spelling mistakes or poor grammar.
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 02/19/2011 17:55
  • Post subject:
I am not guilty of what you charge.

The idea that elitists know which topic to move and that moving them will be the "cure" is false and fallacious.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 02/19/2011 18:24
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
I am not guilty of what you charge.

The idea that elitists know which topic to move

The ones that concern politics and religion will be moved.. I don't get whatever is it you want to say.
Quote:

and that moving them will be the "cure" is false and fallacious.

The idea is to separate these threads from light hearted, non offensive discussions (Post a funny picture, youtube clip, whaeva). It's not supposed to cure anything, the point is that you can continue your agenda here, while those who don't want to see it will know to stay out.
I agree that an asshole will be an asshole in any thread, but this "separation" doesn't have anything to do with that (unlike other sanctions, such as banning).

I agree with albummaster that this whole discussion is just ridiculous.. You are not depraved of anything. And if it helps those, who do not want to participate in these kinds of threads, than I don't see a problem at all.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 02/19/2011 18:29
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
The idea that elitists know which topic to move and that moving them will be the "cure" is false and fallacious.

There are no elitiists here and topics will continue to be categorised by subject, just like they are already.

Let's have an analogy. Consider a forum about sport containing hockey, basketball and baseball sections. If somebody posts something about basketball in the hockey section, the post will be moved.

This website has no political agenda, and if you knew me in the 'real world' you'd know that to be true. For what it's worth, I don't even live in America and I don't vote for anybody in Spain.

Frankly, this site uses a lot of my spare time up. I could do without writing these sorts of posts to explain around some tiny change that we've made. There's a whole heap of other stuff that I could be doing instead.

thank you 19loveless91, I think you articulated your thoughts pretty well and I agree with pretty much most of it.

The RYM example surely helps to demonstrate that we are not doing something that a lot of other sites don't also do as well.
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 02/19/2011 18:43
  • Post subject:
Two wrongs don't make a right.

The Lounge Forum was already separated by topics. Pity the fool who couldn't determine what the topics might contain.

If it was a matter of politics and religion needing their own forum because of the amount of contributions, that would be a different case. Then I guess we would need new forums for The Beatles and Radiohead. But the fact is usually politics, religion, and sex are different topics; unless one considers them all unclean.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 02/19/2011 19:22
  • Post subject:
Good move albummaster! I personally enjoy a lot of the debates on politics and religion and now they are easier to find. Please ignore the loud mouthed shouting about censorship and keep it this way. No posts are (as far as I know) edited or deleted or otherwise distorted, the only thing that has been done is to organize it all for easier access.
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 02/19/2011 19:30
  • Post subject: Re: Why a separate 'religion & politics' forum?
This is why there is a separate forum; the other statements were just attempts to justify.

albummaster wrote:
Political threads were dominating the lounge and were creating an unpleasant atmosphere for quite a few members.

Politics and religion tend to polarise people which leads to conflict, and most people come to this site expecting to discuss music, not politics.

People are welcome to discuss these topics here, but in the interests of everybody getting along, please keep them away from the rest of the forum.

albummaster

I agree it makes the topics more visible than less.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 02/19/2011 19:39
  • Post subject:
So your problem is that albummaster has bordered on violating the holy first amendment and that that is unforgivable even if it makes things better for everyone while still guaranteeing that you are not actually being censored?
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 02/19/2011 20:00
  • Post subject:
Bork wrote:
So your problem is that albummaster has bordered on violating the holy first amendment and that that is unforgivable even if it makes things better for everyone while still guaranteeing that you are not actually being censored?

I don't have a problem. The webmaster falsely assumed that somehow starting a new forum would somehow guarantee the safety of a few members or somehow shield them from unclean sites. But as you correctly point out, it only brings more attention to the topics for the peeping Toms. What will be their excuse now? Who will save them from themselves?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website