When and where and number of listens!

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Rockliveson1980

Bermuda

• Posted: 04/24/2015 12:10
  • Post subject: When and where and number of listens!
When I was younger I didn't really listen to a broad range of music - now that I'm older I'm trying to broaden my horizons. I've always enjoyed rock music but have had difficulty getting into certain highly acclaimed bands eg The Smiths. I suppose to get to the point - my question is how many listens do you think you should give an album before you admit that the style isn't to your taste? Also - 'how' do you approach listening to the album for the first time? I've started to take an hour or so a day to listen with headphones to new albums but find it eats into my day quite a lot! If I have it on as background I don't feel I'm getting a true sense of the album. Do you dedicate the full album length for listening to try and appreciate it in its entirety or do you 'stop and start'?
I know - it's pretty subjective - but I'm interested in more what people think - I hope this makes sense!!
  • Visit poster's website
Pseud0Scorpion

• Posted: 04/24/2015 12:46
  • Post subject:
As for your second question, yes, I do dedicate and set aside time for an entire album, as I feel I'm truly experiencing what the artist wanted me to that way. However, I don't see how stopping or starting could be a really bad thing, although it's really up to how you feel and what you think results in a better experience. Wish you luck with music, there's a long and fun road ahead of you.
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/24/2015 12:53
  • Post subject:
I'm pretty compulsive about listening to a full album, to the point it gets frustrating. If I'm not listening through a portable device and need the toilet and the album doesn't have long left, I'll just wait it out and listen to the rest of the album because I don't want to pause it.

And yeah I set aside time to listen to new albums quite often. Sometimes it will be a background listen - depending on what it is - but rarely.
zdwyatt

United States

• Posted: 04/24/2015 16:32
  • Post subject: Re: When and where and number of listens!
Rockliveson1980 wrote:
how many listens do you think you should give an album before you admit that the style isn't to your taste?

In general, an album only gets once chance with me. I should hear something that interests me or I'm not going to return to it. That being said, for albums that are classics or that come highly recommended, I might give it a few chances. But not everything is for everyone, and that's fine. If you can listen to this song and not immediately want to listen to all of The Smiths, they're probably not for you:

Link

Rockliveson1980 wrote:
'how' do you approach listening to the album for the first time?

I sit in front of a computer all day for work, which means I listen to eight hours of music through speakers. The vast majority of this is new music. When I find albums I like, I flag them for later listening, when I can give them more attention. Albums I really get into end up getting played frequently, in all locations (work, home, car).
  • Visit poster's website
paladisiac
= music

United States

• Posted: 04/24/2015 16:51
  • Post subject:
if i love or dislike an album enough, it only takes one listen. Otherwise, i give an album 2-or-3 listens before making a decision on whether i like it or not.

I do most of my full-album listening at work as i'm in IT and am on the computer most of the day, but sometimes i'll listen at home.
  • Visit poster's website
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 04/24/2015 20:18
  • Post subject:
SuedeSwede wrote:
If I'm not listening through a portable device and need the toilet and the album doesn't have long left, I'll just wait it out and listen to the rest of the album because I don't want to pause it.

mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 04/24/2015 20:38
  • Post subject:
Sometimes it takes years to revisit something with a fresh and intrigued mind. But I think there isn't really "an amount" - it really depends on your state of mind, how you view art, etc. like for me I think there is something I'm missing and I try to discover what exactly that is.
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 04/24/2015 20:55
  • Post subject:
I'm all over the place on this. When I'm exploring for something new and not going off a personalized recommendation, I'll often only give an album a few tracks to grab me before moving on. On the other hand, I don't like to write about albums (even in forum posts) until they've had a few listens to sink in. Overall, I don't have any hard and fast rules, I mostly go with my gut.

I never completely give up on music, though. As Gowi said, sometimes you can dislike or be apathetic to something for years before falling in love with it.
RepoMan

• Posted: 04/24/2015 21:17
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
Sometimes it takes years to revisit something with a fresh and intrigued mind. But I think there isn't really "an amount" - it really depends on your state of mind,.. like for me I think there is something I'm missing and I try to discover what exactly that is.

This sums me up too. I really couldn't say it better. If I don't get something I pretty much assume I'm the problem. LOL. This has really helped open up my horizons to music I would not have continued exploring otherwise. For instance, I used to think the new Romantic movement of the early 80s was the art rock equivalent of yacht rock, but now I'm fully in love love with artists like David Sylvian of Japan fame and The Blue Nile.
hippo

Canada

• Posted: 04/25/2015 04:12
  • Post subject:
Personally, it all depends on the album. Usually, if I don't like it by the 3rd or 4th, I set it aside. I might come back to it in the future, I might not. Of course there are some albums which I know I won't like on the 2nd or 3rd.

For your second question, Swede spoke my soul Shocked For subsequent listens, I'm not as OCD

2016 Chart
  • Visit poster's website