Saoirse wrote:
I donno with most movies I watch these days it's "tits or GTFO"

Classy.
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 05/18/2015 16:23
  • Post subject:
But I find it strange that you guys consider Naked a nihilist film when Mike Leigh's filmography is anything but. Just look at another masterpiece like Happy Go Lucky, and while he still realizes the pain that is in the world, I definitely wouldn't call Poppy's perspective nihilistic.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 05/18/2015 16:27
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
But I find it strange that you guys consider Naked a nihilist film when Mike Leigh's filmography is anything but. Just look at another masterpiece like Happy Go Lucky, and while he still realizes the pain that is in the world, I definitely wouldn't call Poppy's perspective nihilistic.

I didn't say Leigh's filmography was cynical or anything of the sort, I said Naked was.
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 05/18/2015 17:02
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
I didn't say Leigh's filmography was cynical or anything of the sort, I said Naked was.

I understand. I wasn't pointing that at you. I just suggested that with someone like Leigh, we really have to take his context into the equation when analyzing it (since according to Dave, he has "more abstract qualities than anyone" or something).
  • Visit poster's website
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 05/19/2015 00:15
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
I understand. I wasn't pointing that at you. I just suggested that with someone like Leigh, we really have to take his context into the equation when analyzing it (since according to Dave, he has "more abstract qualities than anyone" or something).

I agree with the "or something" part.
  • Visit poster's website
Saoirse

• Posted: 05/19/2015 05:34
  • Post subject:
Since when did movies become math equations?

But srs at Mad Max they had a preview for Batman v Superman. Maybe Im just too far behind the times, but I always thought that was a joke when I heard it floated around. But no apparently it's next year's major release. Is it basically like a mega-budget Alien vs Predator, just slightly more high-brow? It seems they are really running out of ideas.
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 05/19/2015 05:45
  • Post subject:
Saoirse wrote:
Since when did movies become math equations?

But srs at Mad Max they had a preview for Batman v Superman. Maybe Im just too far behind the times, but I always thought that was a joke when I heard it floated around. But no apparently it's next year's major release. Is it basically like a mega-budget Alien vs Predator, just slightly more high-brow? It seems they are really running out of ideas.

No, it’s more like a quasi-adaption of a comic book from the 1980s written by Frank Miller. Which has never been adapted to film outside of animated features, so no not really.
  • Visit poster's website
Saoirse

• Posted: 05/19/2015 07:35
  • Post subject:
I donno, looking at the IMDB page it seems like another Avengers, just with a more primary focus on the two title superheroes. Just don't quite get the craze for turning superhero movies into an all-star game. Or why we need a large handful of superhero movies year after year. I guess until they stop making money.
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 05/19/2015 11:12
  • Post subject:
Saoirse wrote:
I donno, looking at the IMDB page it seems like another Avengers, just with a more primary focus on the two title superheroes. Just don't quite get the craze for turning superhero movies into an all-star game. Or why we need a large handful of superhero movies year after year. I guess until they stop making money.

DC are pretty much building it up to a Justice League movie, I guess after seeing what Marvel have been doing with their cinematic universe and how it's worked out for them. I find it cool actually, there was nothing really done like this before, where Marvel made (and are still making) a load of individual, seemingly unrelated movies with different characters that ultimately tie together into one story, having read a lot of the comics these are based on I can't help but get excited for them. Plus considering the money they're making, it'll probably be quite some time before they stop.

Here's some lists of what films are related to these comic 'universes':
Marvel
DC

• Visit poster's website