Film General

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 76, 77, 78 ... 89, 90, 91  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 11/10/2019 19:32
  • Post subject:
Going to see a movie in theatres for the first time since 1940, I'm thinking Jojo Rabbit, Harriet, and Joker... thoughts?
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 11/10/2019 20:07
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:
Yoo Hayden and the rest of movie fans. It's Ljubljana film festival time, I'll probably go see some (max 6, probably less) movies, can you take a look at that link and let me know what you recommend / have already seen and you thought it was great.
https://www.liffe.si/index.php/en/progr...e-sections

Most popular titles (e.g. Parasite) will probably be sold out (besides, the price is jacked up a bit), so the lesser known movies the better!

Well, can't ignore it when I'm personally mentioned. Going in order-of-scroll, these are the ones I'd rec checking out:

Beanpole
Monos
System Crasher
About Endlessness
J'Accuse
Les Miserables

Parasite
Portrait of A Lady On Fire

Sorry We Missed You
Synonyms
A Hidden Life
Bacurau
Ema
It Must Be Heaven
The Lighthouse
Vitalina Varela
Ayka
Babyteeth
So Long, My Son
Varda Par Agnes

Italics means I haven't seen it Confused Parasite's an absolute knockout though... if you can get in, do it. It's a film worthy of the big screen. If you're maxing out at 6, I've bolded my overall rec. Beanpole would be #7.

Out of what I've watched, I'd say you could steer clear of Ray & Liz, The Traitor, Divino Amor, Light of My Life, and The Souvenir, especially your time's limited. Not that they're all bad, but there's definitely better up there. I thought Jojo Rabbit verged offensive (I have a short write-up of it somewhere), and gave it a fairly low score. There's a good chance it'll be a major hit though, so take of that what you will.

Being said, those Cuban films on the lineup are kinda hard to come by, and the two of them I've seen are stellar. Might not be what you're looking at checking out, but good on Ljubljana.

Festivals are always a blast. Hope you get to see what you want Smile

Quote:
Going to see a movie in theatres for the first time since 1940, I'm thinking Jojo Rabbit, Harriet, and Joker... thoughts?

I'd go Joker. I gave it another watch, and it's definitely grown on me. It's divisive, and it still needs meat, but it's a solid work, and literally everyone's talking about it. Jojo Rabbit can be watched on a small screen for sure.
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 11/10/2019 21:15
  • Post subject:
Thanks Smile Figured you'd be reliable source for this question. Parasite is sold out already, but it will be in theatres soon I assume. Same for The Lighthouse. Andersson and System Crasher were on my shortlist. But ultimately I probably won't buy much in advance, but decide based on when I will be in Ljubljana and have time. Also I usually prioritize movies that will probably not end up in theatres, they're the fun part of the festival.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 11/10/2019 22:48
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:
Also I usually prioritize movies that will probably not end up in theatres, they're the fun part of the festival.

Def. I do likewise. It's actually the main reason I put Bacurau and About Endlessness in bold. At this rate, I haven't a clue if Ayka or Vitalina Varela will even be released Rolling Eyes , so if you're taking scarcity into consideration, etc... but I don't think either are terribly fun.

If Parasite and The Lighthouse are off the table, I'd bold Beanpole and Sorry We Missed You.

And yeah, at the end of the day, you pick what you want to see, but deeeeeefinitely if there's one ticket you should get, it'd be for Portrait of A Lady on Fire.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 11/12/2019 02:26
  • Post subject:
Ended up watching both Jo Jo rabbit and joker... Hahahaha.
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 11/12/2019 02:58
  • Post subject:
Portrait of Lady on Fire is really good, though I saw it in Paris without subtitles and missed the last 20 minutes or so, so don't know if the title is metaphorical or literal or both. Want to see About Endlessness, probably worth getting a ticket if you can make it Think
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/11/2019 17:09
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
Anyone have any best-of-the-decade lists they want to tout?

Here's mine:

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Cubbieri...the-2010s/

https://letterboxd.com/tepitome/list/to...cade-list/

Mine. Top 150. The order for anything in the bottom 100 is really loose.

Films I haven't watched that might make the list include Portrait of A Lady On Fire, Uncut Gems, and It Must Be Heaven.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/27/2020 16:52
  • Post subject:
I feel a little bad for the jury at Berlin. Absolutely abysmal reviews coming out of competition. Not the best start to 2020 Laughing

https://www.screendaily.com/news/berlin...92.article

I have a feeling one of the three unscored films will win (particularly Rasoulof or Tsai Ming-liang), but this isn't leaving much to look forward to unfortunately.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 04/14/2020 11:24
  • Post subject:
Just tried watching The Mountain II (Dag II). It has raving reviews on IMDB, and it's got solid ratings on other sites too, but I didn't know anything else about it. It was the biggest propaganda trash I've seen in a while. I can't remember when was the last time that I turned off the movie I was determined to watch halfway through, but this was just too much. It's not even bad visually, the effects are nice and fights look good, but the sentiment is all too clear. Turkish special forces good. That's it. That's the message. Sure they fight ISIS and that's cool, but I find it a bit hypocritical that *insert something about Turkey and Armenian genocide*. I don't want to get too political, but the movie is trash and really made me mad. The dialogue is hot garbage, acting mediocre and it this was US production, there's no way it would've had over 6.5 on IMDB. Rant over

That being said, I have watched several good propaganda movies (albeit most of them Yugoslavian). Valter brani Sarajevo (Walter Defends Sarajevo) is a good one, Yugoslavian version of Rambo, just better. Another one that's influential and very well directed is the Nazi propaganda Triumph of the Will. Does anyone have other examples of good propaganda movies? Now I'm just looking for trouble, but while I'm at the Wikipedia propaganda film lecture, I'd like to watch some more of it, both for historic and movie related reasons

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 04/14/2020 14:24
  • Post subject:
Well, Battleship Potemkin is excellent.
  • Visit poster's website