Film General

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 89, 90, 91  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/17/2015 14:49
  • Post subject: Film General
A thread to discuss anything with film Smile Upcoming, present, or past.

I know we have the 'films you watched recently' thread, but that's pretty much the equivalent of the 'album' thread in the music forum. Figured this would be an easier thread to discuss other things to do with films.

Any and all film recommendations/chat/awareness/hype, etc.. is all welcome.
  • Visit poster's website
nutso42

• Posted: 05/17/2015 18:25
  • Post subject:
I've been battling with myself lately... if I were an Academy Awards voter in 1962, who would I give my "Best Actor" vote to? Gregory Peck for "To Kill a Mockingbird", or Peter O'Toole for "Lawrence of Arabia"??

I'm nit ashamed to admit, this question has legitimately kept me up at night on a few occasions. It's just..... AGH, maybe the two best performances ever put on film! (At least by white English speaking men)
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 05/17/2015 18:33
  • Post subject:
nutso42 wrote:
I've been battling with myself lately... if I were an Academy Awards voter in 1962, who would I give my "Best Actor" vote to? Gregory Peck for "To Kill a Mockingbird", or Peter O'Toole for "Lawrence of Arabia"??

James Mason in Lolita.
  • Visit poster's website
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/17/2015 22:08
  • Post subject:
Every now and then, me, Goodsir, CubaZed, and Gowi get together and watch a film together (not IRL obviously xD) and tonight we watched Naked.

I thought its depiction of 90s lower class Britain was gorgeous, with a really bleak atmosphere and tons of things to hate about each and every character that this huge negative feeling comes from the film, and in a way that really resonated with me. It felt grimey, and dirty, and just all-round unpleasant, but at the same time that's what made it so good.

Gowi didn't like it but that's okay bc he's wrong
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 05/17/2015 22:10
  • Post subject:
SuedeSwede wrote:
Every now and then, me, Goodsir, CubaZed, and Gowi get together and watch a film together (not IRL obviously xD) and tonight we watched Naked.

I thought its depiction of 90s lower class Britain was gorgeous, with a really bleak atmosphere and tons of things to hate about each and every character that this huge negative feeling comes from the film, and in a way that really resonated with me. It felt grimey, and dirty, and just all-round unpleasant, but at the same time that's what made it so good.

Gowi didn't like it but that's okay bc he's wrong right

A pseudo-intellectual case study about bad people doing bad things. I don't mind case studies about bad people doing bad things, but I just happened to not like much of this at all; felt like I lost two hours of my day watching such an overblown piece of a cynical bore.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/17/2015 22:11
  • Post subject:
SuedeSwede wrote:
Naked.

Glad you capitalized that.

I think you summed it up though, it's a super grimy, dark, dirty feeling film... with an equally grimy, dark and dirty performance from Thewlis.

I found the film a bit too crude (and slightly lengthy for the content) for my liking, but I still respect it. Just isn't in my favourites.
  • Visit poster's website
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/17/2015 22:16
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
I found the film a bit too crude (and slightly lengthy for the content) for my liking, but I still respect it. Just isn't in my favourites.

Definitely not the word I'd use to describe the sex scenes. I just thought they added to the really bleak atmosphere. And I think it justifies its length perfectly, 131 minutes was just right. I'm not saying it was flawless though, felt it had the tendency to feel a bit "empty" and the ending was a tad anticlimactic.
Goodsir

• Posted: 05/17/2015 22:26
  • Post subject:
(SPOILERS)
Thought it was really great personally, almost every character was horrible. If they weren't doing horrible, immoral things, they were being cynical. And if they weren't being cynical, they were doing horrible things to themselves and each other.

My favorite bit was when the main character, Johnny, and a security guard have a conversation about existence and the apocalypse. Johnny is a very pseudo-intellectual character and tries to trump every other person with his intellectualism to feel superior. Here though, he stumbles and fails a bit and it's interesting to see how he interacts with other characters, especially when they almost see through his facade.

It's a fantastic portrayal of the British lower class, and also shows off almost this form of elitism that the upper class had. One particular character, the landlord, was an almost satirical portrayal of that upper class, with a snide remark to retaliate towards just about anything. He thought he was better than the other characters, and he wasn't afraid to show that. The scene where he rapes Sophie I think is a(n in-your-face) metaphor for how the upper class is literally "raping" the lower class.

Overall, probably the most nihilistic film I've ever seen, and possibly the most nihilistic piece of art I've ever experienced. Conclusion: 9/10
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/17/2015 22:27
  • Post subject:
SuedeSwede wrote:
Definitely not the word I'd use to describe the sex scenes. I just thought they added to the really bleak atmosphere. And I think it justifies its length perfectly, 131 minutes was just right. I'm not saying it was flawless though, felt it had the tendency to feel a bit "empty" and the ending was a tad anticlimactic.

It wasn't really the sex scenes (well, partly), just more or less the entire black humour to it. It was just a bit rude for my liking. Nothing personal against the film though, that's hardly a criticism.

Strange that you thought the ending was anticlimactic, I thought that was one of the most fitting parts Laughing The bleakness and emptiness summed up the film perfectly. How would you of wanted it to end that could of made it 'climactic'? A suicide would surely be over-the-top.
  • Visit poster's website
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/17/2015 22:31
  • Post subject:
Eh, I didn't mean anticlimactic. More sudden than anything. Felt a little "that's all folks"y.

I mean, I liked the ending a lot, just felt a little strange, can't quite put my finger on it exactly.