Film General

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 89, 90, 91  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 03/23/2019 01:48
  • Post subject:
Saw US last night, and have to say I was... a bit underwhelmed at the end. It seems like Peele probably started the project thinking of a much more straightforward metaphorical zombie film and then he thought up of a much grander idea and hoped that somehow the two clashing stories would eventually connect and make a weird sort of sense, but they just don't really. The whole thing feels both over-reaching and undercooked. It is quite funny, I admit, but at times when it really shouldn't be, the tone of certain moments can feel at odds with what he's trying to convey . Compared to what's been said I just didn't find it that scary or nerve-wracking (with the exception of a few effective jack-in-the-box shocks). It's got some great individual images, it's definitely more of a visually assured (due to both experience and likely increased budget) film than "Get Out", but I greatly prefer that effort because that film felt fully confident in what it wanted to do & say and did it near flawlessly, while this shoots for the stars (or "across america") but doesn't really have anywhere to go in the end. It's also weird it kind of literally parrots out it's allegorical intentions but then doesn't really devolp them. Was it a fake-out for all the think-piece minded intellectualls waiting to cannibalize the film? A moment of late-edit slip-through mistake? Or just sloppy overall writing? Vedy, vedy frustrating experience, despite the clique'd comparision definitely has the "difficult second album" feel. Perhaps best to let they hype cool off and revisit, but overall dissapointed. Did they actually get Kera Hayward to be in the movie for literally 5 seconds?
  • Visit poster's website
Villain

Canada

• Posted: 03/24/2019 22:04
  • Post subject:
Personally I liked US a lot, and the more I think about it the more I find that I like about it. Although I will admit I did have a few issues with it. I agree that is was not really very scary. I definitely cared about the characters, but I saw the twist coming from the moment I saw the upcoming scene. Even then I still felt like I got a lot out of it. I'm glad that Jordan Peele decided to challenge his audience. I"m glad it did well, because it'd be a film that so many people saw and people will take it different ways. I did like Get Out more, and I'm sure many people will, because that film knew exactly what it wanted to be.

http://www.scumnvillainy.com/
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 03/26/2019 01:29
  • Post subject:
Some deaths have hit the horror community in the last couple days. On Saturday we lost Larry Cohen, writer-director of such classics as It's Alive, God Told Me To, and The Stuff. I was always a fan of his films and feel he didn't get enough credit as a filmmaker. Then on Sunday Joseph Pilato, best known as Captain Rhodes in George Romero's Day of the Dead, passed away. You couldn't help but hate that character with a passion thanks to his ruthless portrayal of one of the biggest assholes in movie history.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 03/26/2019 09:24
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
On Saturday we lost Larry Cohen, writer-director of such classics as It's Alive, God Told Me To, and The Stuff.

...and Black Caesar! If Cohen hadn't written Black Caesar, there never would've been the sequel Hell Up in Harlem, and James Brown never would've recorded "The Payback," originally intended for the soundtrack -- though Cohen or American International Pictures rejected it!
  • Visit poster's website
Villain

Canada

• Posted: 03/26/2019 11:17
  • Post subject:
Quote:
Then on Sunday Joseph Pilato, best known as Captain Rhodes in George Romero's Day of the Dead, passed away. You couldn't help but hate that character with a passion thanks to his ruthless portrayal of one of the biggest assholes in movie history

Just watched Day of the Dead for the first time last year and I agree. Captain Rhodes is one of the most unlikeable characters in any film.

http://www.scumnvillainy.com/
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/29/2019 14:40
  • Post subject:
RIP Agnes Varda, undoubtedly one of the greats.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/14/2019 18:40
  • Post subject:
Getting word Bibi Andersson has died.

RIP.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 04/15/2019 18:26
  • Post subject:
RIP Bibi Andersson
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 04/15/2019 23:37
  • Post subject:
RIP. Funny timing that we're doing a poll in which she just appeared on three lists.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 04/16/2019 03:39
  • Post subject:
PurpleHazel wrote:
RIP. Funny timing that we're doing a poll in which she just appeared on three lists.

And don't forget, she was voted #1 in our greatest performances list. Sad day for the BEA film community indeed.
  • Visit poster's website