Film General

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 88, 89, 90, 91  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 11/22/2020 11:00
  • Post subject:
Actually, in the context of the Sia debacle, I should point out how I as a fat trans autistic experimental filmmaker have made three features and two shorts this year.

Hayden really liked an early cut of my second feature Mia, which is the closest thing I’ve made to a conventional drama.
https://filmfreeway.com/projects/1876873

My debut feature was a “tone poem about my booty”, and how my autism, feederism, and transness are impossible to separate from each other. It’s very influenced by Michael Snow and Daisies (and has lots of sexual content)
https://filmfreeway.com/projects/1876873

And my third feature was a piece of slow cinema called Akerman Ambriance which is also very fun.
https://filmfreeway.com/projects/1912544

Andddddd if you want something quick, I made this short a month ago.
https://filmfreeway.com/projects/2057772
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 11/22/2020 12:02
  • Post subject:
This looks great Applerill. I'll give it a shot.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 11/22/2020 13:56
  • Post subject:
Yeeee thank you soooooo much <3

I guess on a topical basis I should especially suggest my first feature The Squish Trilogy, which I shot in three parts throughout 2019 when I was struggling with moving out and eventually homelessness. It has many, many flaws (and once again, STRONG SEXUAL CONTENT; I hope I don’t get banned for that), but I genuinely think after another viewing this morning that it might be the most unapologetically autistic movie ever made.

https://filmfreeway.com/projects/1829483
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 11/23/2020 01:23
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
A guy I know from high school made a full-length movie last year. He’s what, like, 21-22? It’s a completely indie movie, all of the actors and crew were working for free, all of the equipment was borrowed or gifted and they raised ~2000 bucks via Indiegogo, which they spent on sandwiches and renting a club and a tram for the movie. And now it’s online, and can be watched for free (password is ZGEKV2020) if anyone’s interested.

It’s called Zagreb Equinox and it’s about the (alternative, punk etc) night life in Zagreb. Several friends are trying to organize a party in an abandoned flat, some of them need to buy booze, some need to find a dealer and get weed and then various problems arise.

There’s a lot of jokes which you’ll probably miss if you don’t live in Zagreb and have been to the places mentioned in the movie, but it’s still a lot of fun. They even managed to recruit a few actual, established and respected Croatian actors (the crazy neighbor and the policeman) as well as some alternative and rap musicians (Miki Solus, High5) for free. Anyways it’s not a masterpiece by any means, but considering the budget and the age/experience of the people involved (none of the people involved, including the main guy had any prior experience with the process of moviemaking, excluding a few crew members and those mentioned actors), it turned out fine. Shaky dialogue and acting at parts is the only real issue imo, while the camerawork, editing and montage are way better than expected.

If any of this sounds interesting, give it a try. It’s a fun, watchable 1.5 hour movie with Eng subs (which aren’t perfect but whatever).

Cheers, I did actually watch it. And it was way better than what I expected based on what you wrote. Acting in particular wasn't any worse than in, say, your average slovenian film, the dialogue felt pretty natural for the most part. Some decisions (plotwise, editing wise) did feel less clever to me than what the director probably felt about them. But ok.

I was mostly curious because I felt that lives of Zagreb late teens/early twentysomethings are probably similar to their Ljubljana peers, and I wanted to see how familiar it feels (the answer, quite a bit, apart from the weed drought - is/was this really such a thing there?). It is a bit like a document of the Zagreb nightlife, happy to have been in the city at least those few times to know (and in some cases get drunk at) most of these places.

So I'm awaiting a Ljubljana counterpart. Sure there's Ne bom več luzerka, which is pretty great btw, but the point there is still a bit different.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 11/23/2020 11:28
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:
Cheers, I did actually watch it. And it was way better than what I expected based on what you wrote. Acting in particular wasn't any worse than in, say, your average slovenian film, the dialogue felt pretty natural for the most part. Some decisions (plotwise, editing wise) did feel less clever to me than what the director probably felt about them. But ok.

I was mostly curious because I felt that lives of Zagreb late teens/early twentysomethings are probably similar to their Ljubljana peers, and I wanted to see how familiar it feels (the answer, quite a bit, apart from the weed drought - is/was this really such a thing there?). It is a bit like a document of the Zagreb nightlife, happy to have been in the city at least those few times to know (and in some cases get drunk at) most of these places.

So I'm awaiting a Ljubljana counterpart. Sure there's Ne bom več luzerka, which is pretty great btw, but the point there is still a bit different.

Glad you liked it! I think the weed drought was a thing in 2015 or so, but don't take my word on it. The movie just used this idea for plot purposes I think. Yeah, the acting is decent, but there are moments like that tram scene when the actors were out of their depth imo. Still better than most Croatian TV shows I've seen, and on par with an average movie. Same goes for the plot.

I've heard about Ne bom več luzerka before, is there any way to watch the movie online? Cause from what I remember it wasn't in the theatres here in 2018/19, so I never got the chance to watch it.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 11/23/2020 13:13
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:

Glad you liked it! I think the weed drought was a thing in 2015 or so, but don't take my word on it. The movie just used this idea for plot purposes I think. Yeah, the acting is decent, but there are moments like that tram scene when the actors were out of their depth imo. Still better than most Croatian TV shows I've seen, and on par with an average movie. Same goes for the plot.

I've heard about Ne bom več luzerka before, is there any way to watch the movie online? Cause from what I remember it wasn't in the theatres here in 2018/19, so I never got the chance to watch it.

Yeah, some clunkiness for sure, but if it was really their first acting job, it's way better than it should be. I saw that the three girls are actually named Lena, Luna, and Lana, but one of them was renamed Maša for the film. What a shame.

Well Luzerka is on vimeo, but it's not free (5€). There are torrents of it around (at least on partis.si, probably elsewhere too). It's a movie that hits close to home, but I couldn't recommend to most non-Slovene people, because I assume what it depicts is just too alien for most, but maybe as a Croatian it will feel more familiar to you?
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 11/23/2020 14:15
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:
Yeah, some clunkiness for sure, but if it was really their first acting job, it's way better than it should be. I saw that the three girls are actually named Lena, Luna, and Lana, but one of them was renamed Maša for the film. What a shame.

Well Luzerka is on vimeo, but it's not free (5€). There are torrents of it around (at least on partis.si, probably elsewhere too). It's a movie that hits close to home, but I couldn't recommend to most non-Slovene people, because I assume what it depicts is just too alien for most, but maybe as a Croatian it will feel more familiar to you?

That's a missed opportunity haha. Also, Marko (the drunk guy at the party) is one of my good friends, it's funny seeing him in that role. As is a lot of other people I know.

Just found it on Vimeo, don't mind paying 5€ for it if it's good. I'll probably watch it during the holidays. Hope that I'll understand the context. I guess I should. And thanks for the rec Very Happy

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 11/24/2020 05:36
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
A guy I know from high school made a full-length movie last year. He’s what, like, 21-22? It’s a completely indie movie, all of the actors and crew were working for free, all of the equipment was borrowed or gifted and they raised ~2000 bucks via Indiegogo, which they spent on sandwiches and renting a club and a tram for the movie. And now it’s online, and can be watched for free (password is ZGEKV2020) if anyone’s interested.

It’s called Zagreb Equinox and it’s about the (alternative, punk etc) night life in Zagreb. Several friends are trying to organize a party in an abandoned flat, some of them need to buy booze, some need to find a dealer and get weed and then various problems arise.

There’s a lot of jokes which you’ll probably miss if you don’t live in Zagreb and have been to the places mentioned in the movie, but it’s still a lot of fun. They even managed to recruit a few actual, established and respected Croatian actors (the crazy neighbor and the policeman) as well as some alternative and rap musicians (Miki Solus, High5) for free. Anyways it’s not a masterpiece by any means, but considering the budget and the age/experience of the people involved (none of the people involved, including the main guy had any prior experience with the process of moviemaking, excluding a few crew members and those mentioned actors), it turned out fine. Shaky dialogue and acting at parts is the only real issue imo, while the camerawork, editing and montage are way better than expected.

If any of this sounds interesting, give it a try. It’s a fun, watchable 1.5 hour movie with Eng subs (which aren’t perfect but whatever).

Pretty cool!
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/06/2020 02:33
  • Post subject:
Film's going in the queue Ledzep Razz

Spotted it on Letterboxd too.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/11/2020 17:01
  • Post subject:
Shit...

Kim Ki-Duk died of COVID. Word is it came out of nowhere while he was buying a beach house in Latvia. Utter shame.

RIP.
  • Visit poster's website