2020 Films and Oscars

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 06/27/2020 01:05
  • Post subject: 2020 Films and Oscars
Just like last year's thread (https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...hp?t=21499), a thread to discuss 2020 movies and the 2020-21 Award Season when the time comes.

I held off starting this thread due to the lack of releases to talk about. But we're almost halfway through 2020 and coronavirus isn't going anywhere anytime soon, so might as well. I've noticed users are already discussing some 2020 films on other threads lately, so...

...to get things started, I'm reposting relevant comments from other threads:

1. The AMPAS merged Sound Editing and Sound Mixing into one category.
Hayden wrote:
Not 100% sure where I should post this, but moving forward the Sound Mixing and Sound Editing categories at the Oscars will be merged into 'Best Sound'. Not sold on the idea, but I can't say I didn't see it coming. They're different parts of the post process... most years the two awards have gone to different films.

There's also some new rules about score, particularly the ones that made Jonny Greenwood's There Will Be Blood score ineligible.
CA Dreamin wrote:
...combining sound editing and sound mixing seems similar to how makeup and hairstyling are combined. I don't think it's unfair. Makeup artists and hair stylists have very different jobs, but the same goal of making actors/actresses look good. And makeup artists and hair stylists each get their own Oscar statue. Sound editors and sound mixers have the same end goal. I understand the differences between the two trades, but as long both the sound editor and the sound mixer get their own statue, I don't see a problem with it.
In addition to this change, the APMAS have also extended the release deadline to Feb 28, 2021, and tentatively won't hold the Oscar ceremony until April 25, 2021. So this will be the first time since 1932/33 movies theatrically released in two different calendar years will be eligible for the same awards. Makes sense, the two month extension gives extra time for productions to finish.

2. COVID hasn't stopped Applerill from keeping up with new releases.
Applerill wrote:
Hey, I don't know if any of you are keeping up with 2020 movies, but I've seen about 30 so far, and here's the top half of what I've seen <3

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Cubbierill/2020-movies/
I hate to admit it, but I haven't kept up with 2020 releases. Without theaters, it really doesn't feel the same. Plus, keeping up with Criterion Channel while cramming for BEA's 2019, 2010s, and 2000s poll...I haven't had much time for the latest releases. The only three 2020 films I've seen are The Gentlemen, The Invisible Man, and Bad Education (two of which I saw in theaters, and all of which I thoroughly enjoyed). From Applerill's list, I'd like to see Never Rarely Sometimes Always, Beanpole, Shirley, among others. Also want to see Deerskin, Bacurau, and the movie below...

3. Da 5 Bloods has had mixed reactions.
Hayden wrote:
Just watched Da 5 Bloods.... did not like it. It's only a slight miss, but I can't help but feel Spike could've done a lot better, especially coming off of something so strong like Blackkklansman. I think my favourite part is the poster. I'd write why I didn't like it, but I fear it would just be a couple annoying sentences of me tearing it apart. Anyone else seen it yet?
AgainstMeAgainstYou wrote:
I finally watched BlacKkKlansman yesterday and I loved it. Added it to my top 100 2010s list.

I watched Da 5 Bloods this morning and I honestly fucking adored it. 10/10, maybe my favourite Spike Lee film. Just the fact alone that it rivals DTRT for me, let alone might even surpass it in my eyes, is insane.

I get why people didn't like it, except for the common complaints about the pacing. I never once felt like Da 5 Bloods was dragging. I definitely felt a bit of drag in the third act of BlacKkKlansman though.
Gowi wrote:
My biggest issue is it feels like it was meant to be a miniseries over a film. It's rather long, yet I never felt it was "a long movie". The flashbacks feel mostly unnecessary and it shows there was no amount of money made to age down (or pick younger actors) the main characters for those sequences which breaks my immersion. These characters do not look like they were 40 years apart from each other. I feel like the movie is trying to be a lot of things at once and a lot of the twists are really predicable.

Great acting performances, energy, mood, etc. though. Good film. Not close to Spike at his best but it was fine.
AgainstMeAgainstYou wrote:
Gowi wrote:
My biggest issue is it feels like it was meant to be a miniseries over a film. It's rather long, yet I never felt it was "a long movie". The flashbacks feel mostly unnecessary and it shows there was no amount of money made to age down (or pick younger actors) the main characters for those sequences which breaks my immersion. These characters do not look like they were 40 years apart from each other. I feel like the movie is trying to be a lot of things at once and a lot of the twists are really predicable.

Great acting performances, energy, mood, etc. though. Good film. Not close to Spike at his best but it was fine.
I know that this film didn't have the budget for de-aging CGI, but my read of the flashbacks using Lindo, Peters etc. in them was that they were a glimpse inside the memories of the characters. We live our lives in first person. We generally don't "see" ourselves in almost all situations. When I think about memories, I'm not thinking about how old I was or what I looked like. I'm thinking about what I saw. That was what crossed my mind as soon as I saw fully-aged Delroy in the first flashback, and I thought it was really neat.
Gowi wrote:
It's a neat concept. It can either break your immersion or it can help it.

Just didn't work for me.
Spike is hit-or-miss for me but certainly looking forward to this.

4. New Ghibli movie
Hayden wrote:
...there's... umm.... some stills from the new CGI Ghibli film... Embarassed
Spyglass wrote:
Looks like Ghibli needs a little work on this.
Hayden wrote:
You can tell it would look better in 2D. I'm sure the story is fine an all, it's an adaptation, but my god it's ugly Brick wall

It almost looks like a video game, and not particularly a new one. I'm not sure they should be pursuing this.
Gowi wrote:
I'm actually laughing at how mediocre it looks. Cool
Spyglass wrote:
After sorting through Rotten Tomatoes, Imdb, RYM and Letterboxd, I might have found a 2020 movie that could be five stars. I've put off 2020 movies for some time because notihng that exciting was coming out, and I didn't get a chance to watch Invisible Man in theaters. Apparently there's this 24 film called Minari. I typically trust A24. I know relying on the distributor means very little, but I have yet to find an A24 movie that people hated. And The Lighthouse is one of the 30 greatest movies I've ever seen, so hopefully we have a legendary 2020 film already and no one knows about it. With the rate movies are coming out these days, hidden gems are necessary.
We shall see.

Anyway, I think this is enough to get started.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 06/27/2020 01:42
  • Post subject:
I highly recommend everyone log into Netflix and watch Balle perdue. I feel like this might seem like another atypical French action film, but I got a lot of mileage out of it.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 06/27/2020 01:49
  • Post subject:
How many more times do you guys think Tenet will be pushed back

I'm going with 2, for a total of 4.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 07/01/2020 03:55
  • Post subject:
Suppose it's worthwhile mentioning the Cannes selection for 2020. I'm not sure what it would have looked like had there not been a pandemic, but even clocking 50-ish films it's kinda... lacklustre.

I'm going to assume 20-22 of the 27 combined films in the 'Faithful' and 'Newcomers' categories would have been the official selection, but it's a pretty unexciting bunch. I assume they just tossed in two episodes of Steve McQueen's new TV show for kicks or something I dunno, but they wouldn't have ever made traditional competition. I'm looking forward to Vinterberg's Another Round, Anderson's The French Dispatch, Kawase's True Mothers, Pixar's Soul, and Lee's Ammonite, but that's absolutely it. Doesn't help matters any, but the only two films that I know had been circulating around before the announcement have notably negative reviews.

Might have been the year Wes Anderson could've had a runaway Palme D'or Laughing .............. Crying or Very sad
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 07/01/2020 20:37
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Might have been the year Wes Anderson could've had a runaway Palme D'or Laughing .............. Crying or Very sad
Wait, why wouldn't he be in the running? I understand Cannes is scaling back this year, but there's still gonna be a Palm d'or winner, isn't there?
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 07/01/2020 21:02
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
Hayden wrote:
Wait, why wouldn't he be in the running? I understand Cannes is scaling back this year, but there's still gonna be a Palm d'or winner, isn't there?

No awards at all.

Between the lack of awards, the fact there's no actual festival, and nobody is going to see any of these films for a long time to come, I'm (maybe somewhat surprisingly) against the idea of an official selection for 2020. There's no screenings, no juries, no business, nothing. It's a rather 'well... now what?' scenario, and there aren't many answers to that. This is a childish response, but all in all it's rather stupid.

Unless they give out an extra Palme D'or next year (i.e. the Nobel for Literature 2018), nobody here is going to 'win' anything except for a smidge of publicity.

Considering the last American film to win was in 2011, I legitimately think Wes Anderson had a decent shot. By the sounds of it, Thierry Frémaux enjoyed the film quite a bit too.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 07/01/2020 23:36
  • Post subject:
I assumed the festivals this year would be virtual, and try to make do as best as possible. So no Cannes Awards this year, that's too bad.

As for Tenet, I think it'll keep getting delayed every two or so weeks. At the rate CV is spiking, I think there will be several more delays before it finally gets released. However, it may have an interesting box office run. Most other blockbusters were pushed until fall through next spring, so if Tenet can a wide release before October, it should't have much competition. If theaters open at 25% capacity, they can also quadruple the number of screens it plays on to offset the loss. Why not? There would likely be a lot of demand but not much else to compete with. In this case, it won't have a gigantic opening weekend, but if word of mouth is positive, people return to see it again, and nothing else gets released for a while, it could have an old-school box office run where it's the only big thing to see for several weeks and keeps making stable money week-to-week instead of a killer first weekend before dropping off.

Of course, this is all conditional. Gotta see what happens.

It's definitely a predicament for the major studios and their big budget films that rely on theaters to profit. There are several finished films out there that can't be shown for business reasons. The Trolls World Tour controversy is quite interesting. A $100M production that skipped theaters and went straight to VOD. Crazy. I'm glad it hasn't set a precedent, and other blockbusters haven't followed suit (as of yet).
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 07/01/2020 23:55
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
I assumed the festivals this year would be virtual, and try to make do as best as possible. So no Cannes Awards this year, that's too bad.

TIFF's doing a smaller virtual festival this year, but I haven't a clue how it'll go. I don't think there's going to be any awards for that either, but I'm not 100% sure (hell, they probably don't know yet either). A handful of smaller films festivals in Canada have just been cancelled (even as far away as November).

I'm assuming Tenet will end up being pushed back as far as October. Just sayin'.

Bizarre year for cinema... at least Netflix is around I suppose. Imagine if this happened 15 or 20 years ago?
  • Visit poster's website
BozoTyrannus

Guyana

• Posted: 07/03/2020 11:27
  • Post subject:
I'm most anticipating Sofia Coppola's new film. Reuniting with Bill Murray and her last film scored her a Best Director at Cannes. I'm hoping she'll make a return to the Oscars.
And make Sean Pean
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 07/14/2020 17:32
  • Post subject:
Palm Springs is every bit as a good as advertised. Puts a great spin on the whole time loop concept that made it, pun intended, infinitely more interesting to watch as the plot slowly unfolds. It's also pretty damn funny.
  • Visit poster's website