Issues in Video Games and Entertainment

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Happymeal

• Posted: 05/20/2015 09:24
  • Post subject:
This isn't about a game I'm playing, but I'm not sure what thread would fit it better. However, I'm wondering how many of you guys are gamergate supporters.
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 05/20/2015 10:15
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:
This isn't about a game I'm playing, but I'm not sure what thread would fit it better. However, I'm wondering how many of you guys are gamergate supporters.

I find both extremes of the argument toxic. The 'feminists' that twist the truth and actively seek to offend themselves are no worse than the 'Men's Rights' groups that seem to salivate at the opportunity to prove feminists wrong. It's a waste of energy spent on a non-issue. Are video games sexist? Probably, to some degree, but there are much bigger and much more real fights for gender equality happening, it doesn't make sense to explode over something as benign as video games.
Happymeal

• Posted: 05/20/2015 10:29
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
I find both extremes of the argument toxic. The 'feminists' that twist the truth and actively seek to offend themselves are no worse than the 'Men's Rights' groups that seem to salivate at the opportunity to prove feminists wrong. It's a waste of energy spent on a non-issue. Are video games sexist? Probably, to some degree, but there are much bigger and much more real fights for gender equality happening, it doesn't make sense to explode over something as benign as video games.

I do agree that there are bigger fights needed to be partaken in when referring to feminism, but I just want to clarify that confusing gamergate with a men's right movement is factually incorrect (I'm not stating you did it though). It was, and still is, a movement in regards to ethics in gaming journalism (essentially consumers taking issue with forced ideologies inside of a variety of media outlets that provide content in relation to gaming e.g. game review websites etc.). I agree with your sentiment, but none of it relates to gamergate (well, outside of the way those "feminists" portray the movement inside of media). I'm not stating there are not more important issues currently because there are, but I also think that keeping media as ethical as possible is important.
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 05/20/2015 10:49
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:
I do agree that there are bigger fights needed to be partaken in when referring to feminism, but I just want to clarify that confusing gamergate with a men's right movement is factually incorrect (I'm not stating you did it though). It was, and still is, a movement in regards to ethics in gaming journalism (essentially consumers taking issue with forced ideologies inside of a variety of media outlets that provide content in relation to gaming e.g. game review websites etc.). I agree with your sentiment, but none of it relates to gamergate (well, outside of the way those "feminists" portray the movement inside of media). I'm not stating there are not more important issues currently because there are, but I also think that keeping media as ethical as possible is important.

Ah, I was talking more about Anita Sarkeesian's criticism of games and gamers. As for how ethical the media is, I think the issues that Gamergate brought up are probably reflective of most areas of journalism, and it's good to remind people that journalism is vulnerable to being corrupt. People always need to be critical of the media to keep it healthy, and it's good to see people do still care about it's integrity. I think what it highlighted to me at the time though was just how childish journalists and developers are, some of the things that were tweeted were just disgusting, and it scares me the amount of people that commended the attitudes from both sides.
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 05/20/2015 16:47
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:

My stance is fairly simple:

On female tropes in gaming I feel like there should be more strong and well-written female characters, but I don't think we should feel abhorrent towards concepts like Mario. Art should say the message it wants to say, it can be commented on any time, but it should never be censored and Anita feels to me like a woman who merely attends to achieve her agenda.

On ethics in journalism, I'm for them. But we have to remember gaming journalism is in its infancy compared to film, literature, and political variants. Also, blog-style opinion pieces that have no ethical boundaries play by different rules. Though yeah, I agree that places like Kotaku and IGN should be held to a different standard than some gamer's blog.

On the toxic attitude the "gamergate controversy" caused I feel disgusted by both extremist factions that manipulate both sides. I don't care if you are a SJW or MRA or what the hell ever; don't be a goddamn child or bully. Don't troll and disarm legitimate units because you feel like being unapologeticially blunt or whatever else.
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 05/20/2015 18:18
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:

Sick
shoopadoowop

Canada

• Posted: 05/20/2015 21:45
  • Post subject:
creator wrote:
I've been playing a lot of Cities: Skylines lately. I often get so distracted watching the simulation that I forget to further develop the city. Very Happy

Cities Skylines is great!

Also, Witcher 3 anybody?
  • Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 05/20/2015 22:16
  • Post subject:
shoopadoowop wrote:
Also, Witcher 3 anybody?

Not yet, but soon, I need it in my life.

• Visit poster's website
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/20/2015 23:26
  • Post subject:
Started a new game of Simpsons Hit and Run earlier today, that thing is the shit
Happymeal

• Posted: 05/21/2015 03:50
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
Ah, I was talking more about Anita Sarkeesian's criticism of games and gamers.

I do think a lot of the criticisms made by Anita are naive at best and just attempting to make money off of mislead people at worst (I think she's essentially a con artist attempting to utilize an ideology in order to make money). Video games are "sexist", but not because people purposefully want them to be. In the hardcore gaming audience (which means rpgs, racing, shooters, etc.), males just so happen to be the most common consumer (here's a link to a blog post about it that has the chharts and proper sources linked in it. If you want a better source, just tell me. http://blog.apptopia.com/game-demograph...uld-know), considerably more so than women. This means that the ones creating the product within the industry just so happen to cater more to males in those particular types of games which is why you see a male perspective so often. It's just a by product of capitalism is all, which you can still argue that you want to see more of X! That's the point! Demand is what brings the product to light.

As for her tropes videos, I don't disagree with what she's saying necessarily, but none of it happens because of misogyny or sexism which is where a lot of people are taking issue. When you're being accused of being a bigot solely for your hobby and the media is demonizing you all the while, it makes sense why some people would be belligerent about this.

EDIT: Just to clarify, this post has nothing to do with gamergate.

Last edited by Happymeal on 05/21/2015 04:18; edited 2 times in total